Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor Fuel Consumption!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Fuel Consumption!!

Hi All,
Can anyone offer any advice please. I have a 2.2 diesel X Type on an 06 reg. My fuel consumption is appalling and Im struggling to work out why. Car runs great, I don't drive like an idiot however I'm only getting 33 to the gallon.

Any ideas? Ive cleaned the EGR which was thick with muck but there's been no change.

Help!

Cheers

Old 02-26-2015, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hey Russ, sounds low mpg, these are great engines as in the Mondeo ST Tdci put out around 153bhp iirc, usually decent mix of both performance and economy

How many miles on the car, when was it last serviced?
Usual driving scenarios - all stop / start and around town or all motorway or a good mix?

If it's all stop / start around town and you drive fairly heavily, I would say you're probably not far off, maybe around 37mpg or so I would guess.

If a decent mix of mostly motorway and some urban perhaps around 40mpg and all easy motorway driving could see mid 40's and above

You say you cleaned the egr?
What about the inlet manifold area?

Don't know when it was last done, but air filters and fuel filters are cheap maintenance too, worthwhile considering if not done.

Any fault lights? worth getting a scan to show any issues that might be prevailing.
Personally I'd do the air, fuel filters and engine oil filter and change if not done recently, perhaps add some millers fuel treatment and see how you go.

My son has the 2.0 tdi and gets great fuel economy, no real major difference.

Hope to hear...

Old 02-27-2015, 03:46 AM

Ahhh thankyou so much for such a thorough and informative reply.

Okay so, EGR cleaned - full of gunk ( like treacle ) Inlet manifold cleaned ( full of muck - THICK muck )
Shes done 96k, full service history, last serviced around 85K.
no fault lights and otherwise running lovely.
Driving is fairly easy, long country roads, little start stop. nothing over 60mph.
I think air filters etc is a good idea, and I hadnt thoguht about fuel treatment so thats a good start. I wondered also if it might be the MAF sensor or something?

your dead right though, gorgeous engines, am totally in love with my car! have been holding out for a remap but want to make sure there's not another issue first.

Thankyou so much for your reply. Very helpful

Old 02-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Russ....

The air filter can make such a difference to letting the engine breathe and costs so little, easy to change too.

Good point about the Maf and certainly something to check.

Depending on how far you want to go, you could consider Terraclean, I know it's not approved on the 2.0 engines but no reports of issues on the 2.2 as far as I know.

Its already a fairly quick car in 2.2 153bhp form, but rest assured a remap will make it into more of a monster. I had the Mondeo ST Tdci in 2.2 ( same engine with 155bhp ) and remapped to 195 bhp and it was electric, absolutely electric for a diesel and yet mpg was still in the mid 40's and up to 50+ on a long easy run.

Name:  T15ESSMondeo911.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  T15ESSMondeo94.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  86.1 KB

At 96k she's barely run in

Serviced at 85k so a little while ago assuming average daily mileage, was this done AFTER you cleaned EGR and inlet manifold?

You might consider a Terraclean service.
If so be sure to change the engine oil / filter afterwards as well as the air fuel filter
Terraclean should be around £100 and oil change about £40, fuel filter / air filter another £30 tops so I wouldn't expect much over £200

It all depends on how long you want to keep the car, how serious you are about maintenance and how far you want to go / how much money to spend.

Just a few thoughts for you to ponder

Good luck

Old 02-28-2015, 12:13 PM

ah all great advice thankyou!
I have been out this afternoon and had a tinker about. Air filter looks good as new, maf looks spotless but then that doesn't really mean its working. What i did find though is the the air inlet hoses were not connected to the air filter housing. I wonder if this would have made much difference? It was apig to get them to go back in but theyre in now, Cable tied for now but will find something tighter to hold them.

The EGR was done post service, I wonder if it might be worth getting a service done anyway. The Terraclean sounds useful, Id be willing to give that a go too.

They are great engines eh! love my Jag. I intend to keep her till she goes to her grave,. I tend to do that with cars lol. Im fickle and fall in love way too easy! haha

Old 02-28-2015, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Good find on the air inlet hoses Russ, will certainly make a difference for sure.

Just on a side note, I had been experiencing some "Restricted Performance " issues on my XJ and got it checked over.

We looked at cleaning / replacing the Maf as that it where it was pointing and started down that route.

The Maf was in fact cleaned, but during the process we found a poorly fitted air filter that had deformed and wasn't sealing correctly. Now call it coincidence but since that was replaced and fitted properly.....no more Restricted performance woes!

Hope to hear...

The following users liked this post:
Russ the bus (03-12-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 04:24 AM

Hello Mate, Sorry its been a while posting, I have been giving the ol gal a good run.

Symptoms seem to have worsened. On first start being it at the end of the day after work or morning Shes starting, surging a couple of times and then stalling. I can sit there for up to ten mins trying to get her to stay alive restarting her over and over. Eventually I get lucky and she fires up assisted with a bit of a press on the gas pedal.

Im getting worried now! any further ideas??? eeeeekkkkk!!!

oh and there are no error lights on the dash at all. Im wondering MAF but that would flag up a fault light wouldn't it?

Last edited by Russ the bus; 03-10-2015 at 04:27 AM. Reason: mis spelling and forgot something!