X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about 2004 XType Headlight Socket w/ Pictures....

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about 2004 XType Headlight Socket w/ Pictures....

#1. LOVE THIS FORUM!!! #2. LOVE MY JAG!!! #3. I have a problem with my headlight socket. I have included pictures of what I am talking about... My headlight stopped working, looked and the socket was fried. Bought new socket today at NAPA. The new socket, has the opening for the new bulb, and 1 wire coming from it. However, I have 2 Wires leading in to it from the car. 1 Yellow which 2 me looks like the hot wire, or positive. And the 2nd wire is a brown, looks like either a ground, negative, remote turn on, or even a splice to other headlights.
My question is, how do I wire this new socket. I will be connecting the yellow wire to my new socket wire, twisting, then capping. BUT, where do I plug the existing brown wire in to the new socket? It does look like there is room for a second wire to slide in on the new socket. But should both of these wires be touching the metal part of the socket? If the brown wire is a remote turn on, or a splice to other headlights, then yes, they should be touching, if not, then where or how do I connect the existing brown wire to the new socket, after I have connected the yellow wire to the new socket? Pictures below for reference. Thank you boys and girls, as always!!!

Attached Thumbnails Question about 2004 XType Headlight Socket w/ Pictures....-h1.jpg   Question about 2004 XType Headlight Socket w/ Pictures....-h2.jpg   Question about 2004 XType Headlight Socket w/ Pictures....-hl3.jpg  
Old 06-12-2014, 03:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Dr Bosco, with the halogen bulbs, where the positive and where the negative wires connect to the bulb does not matter. You can wire it either way and the bulb is not going to care (not the same for HIDs). So, do not worry so much about whether the brown wire is on the inside or outside connector.

The bigger issue is to make sure that the brown and yellow wires do not touch. For simplicity, I would say to take the plug that you bought and attach it to the brown wire (use a butt splice and it would be best if you cover the butt splice with some Raychem-070, but in this case, normal heat shrink should do since it is protected from most of the weather). As for the yellow wire, I would get my hands on a yellow (#10-12) female spade connector and crimp that on (make sure to get the ones with the plastic shield over the end of the connector, not the exposed metal ones). From there, you can connect up the wires and be good. The alternate option is to get another one of the connnector you bought at the store and wire both of them to the factory wiring.

Old 06-12-2014, 05:25 PM

Thermo, 1st, Thank you man, you are awesome! I don't think I understand what you are saying though... I understand all of what you said about using the heat shrinking and protecting parts, but I Have that brans new socket on the right... it only has 1 wire coming from it. If I ONLY use that new socket, where would I connect the old brown wire that is still coming from the car?
My problem is, I have 2 wires, Yellow & Brown that need to be hooked up that are in the car still, and the new socket, only has the 1 black wire coming from it.
So plain and simple, once I connect the black wire on the new socket to the existing yellow wire on the car, where do I put the brown wire on the new socket?

Old 06-12-2014, 07:53 PM
Veteran member

Dr Bosco, connect the new black wire/connector to the brown wire. NOw, with the yellow wire, you have 2 options. You can either go back and buy a second black wire/connector and then attach that to the yellow wire, or, the second option would be to stop by the local hardware store and go into the electrical area and look for what is called a female spade connector for 10/12 gauge wiring (normally has a yellow plastic piece on it, but can be many colors, you are really after something that will cover the metal piece). From there, you can crimp the yellow wire into the connector and attach it to the bulb.

What I am referring to is something like:
Shop The Hillman Group 20-Count Spade Wire Connectors at Lowes.com

The difference being is you will want one with the yellow plastic covering all the exposed metal except on the very end. They would be kinda like: Xscorpion FS10B 10 Gauge Black Gold-Plated Female Spade Terminals.

HOpefully you can see the pictures to see what I am talking about. But, if you get the right size spade connector, you will be able to slide it on to the bulb post and all will be good.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

DrB, you are correct that yellow wire is + and brown is -. Connect your new socket to the yellow wire. You may need to splice in a bit of additional length to the brown wire and then end it with a female spade connector. If you look where the wire clip holds your bulb in place, you will see there is actually a male spade right there, where the clip secures. Connect the brown wire female spade to it. Done. You will have now successfully completed the two wire bulb socket repair.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:15 AM

Ok. Thank you all! MOHDR seems like u have a good grasp on it. Or at least dumbing it down for me so thank you especially!
So for lack of a better explanation, in all reality I just need to hook up the new socket to the existing yellow wire, and basically ground the brown wire to anything metal in the engine bay, but of course 1st I should attempt to locate the male spade receptor and grown the brown wire to that, as long as I get a spade clip to connect to existing brown wire? Is that correct? See my father was wrong. Not that much of an idiot right? Lol. Thanks as always guys. U r the best!

Old 06-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

You've got it correct but, please DO use that male spade that is right there at the retainer clip. It will be perfect and you don't have to hunt for somewhere else to ground, risking a bad connection...

Old 07-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Have just tried to replace the halogen lamp in my sons car and experienced the burnt , stuck on 2 wire connector. Is it possible to purchase these connectors ?
The only ones I am seeing are the single wire versions whether it be plastic or ceramic.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:38 PM
Veteran member

Vee, first off, welcome to the Forums. Lots of good information and great people here. I think you will find lots of entertainment and knowledge here. But, we do ask a simple thing from you, please stop by the New Member Forum and give us a quick intro about you and your car. We strive to be a better car group and as part of this, we like to get to know one another and be more like a family. This will also give you a chance to meet those who make this place what it is.

As for your problem, the parts can be obtained from any auto parts store. Here are some ads on things that you can see what your options are:

2X H1 H3 Ceramic Socket Headlight Bulb Holder Replacement Connector Wire Harness | eBay

Genuine Honda H1 Bulb Socket | eBay

That will give you two styles to choose from. If you walk into your local auto parts store, ask them for an "H1 socket". They should take you over to the electrical section and you should be able to find one there. If you have an option, go with the high temp ones as they will take the heat that these bulbs make a bit better and last you longer.

The following users liked this post:
Veesixjag (07-30-2014)