Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > X-Type
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

X-Type 2001 - 2009

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-13-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gessie View Post
I've been doing more research and it seems that my car may need to be done using a IDS tool, I hope not since my Jaguar dealer may want around $200 to do it and I can't see paying that much. So I'll keep looking for another answer.
Any progress? (I have the same problem)
Old 01-10-2010, 12:58 PM

this works but dont be afrid to try several times until successful. fobs seem to act like they are dead but the batteries last a long time
Old 10-01-2010, 03:43 PM

HELLO EVERYONE!!!! I THINK THERE IS A MISTAKE IN THE WRITE UP!!!!!!
I just bought a FOB off ebay the other day and just tried it as it is stated in the directions. The problem im having is it didnt make any noise and was not working!!!! So in my experience with other programming i turned the to the III mark instead of the II!!!!!!! So turn the key to the II position then turn it to the III position four times you will here the beeps. Aftyer the beeps press lock or unlock on both or all key fobs one right after another. THAT WORKED!!!!! I to II doesnt. II to III does!!!!! Hope this helps!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2010, 07:56 PM

I have tried everthing and still can't program remote.I hear the chime and within 10 secs press any button but nothing works. any suggestions?
Old 10-03-2010, 08:56 PM

If you hear the chime but nothing works when you press the button, you might have a dead remote.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Photobucket

Thanked 1,133 Times in 822 Posts

Here is the TSB info from Jaguar that you need to read.

bob gauff
Attached Files
File Type: pdf XT501-10am.pdf (62.4 KB, 554 views)
File Type: pdf XT501-23.pdf (27.1 KB, 483 views)

2001 XJ8 Mistral
1999 XJ8L Topaz
1997 XJ6L Black
1985 XJ6 Belgian Import (Gray Market project car)
1985 XJ6 (Parts Car)
1983 XJ6 (Parts Car)
1992 Sovereign (sold)
2001 S-Type 4.0 (sold)
1997 XJ6L White (sold)
1972 XJ6 (sold)
1966 'E'Type (first Jaguar) (sold)
Old 07-03-2011, 05:00 PM

whats the solution if i only have 1 fob 1 key and the fob died? if i bought another fob is it reprogrammable without dealership service?
Old 07-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

As long as you have a key that can turn the ign on you can program ANY suitable fob for your region.The X Type fob can also be programmed to use with an XJ (X350) and vica versa as I reprogrammed my spare X Type ones for my XJ.Its the region frequency that is important so IK ones are no good for US market as the frequencies are different.

BuckMR2,ex 3.0 X Type,
2007 XJ Sovereign LWB TDVi, Decarbed, 26 PSI/600+Nm Torque , Premium Sound,Ruched leather,Rear Entertainment, ALL seats heat and recline,2012 Nav,20"Callistos,Redstuff ceramic pads,Mina Gallery Lower Grille,Late Jag Upper grille,Trays, DPF removed for more power and economy, both EGRs electronically closed and deleted as LH EGR was faulty and stuck shut...NITROUS to follow!
Old 07-03-2011, 05:44 PM

Are you taking about the remote portion of the key, or the physical metal key. The remote can be programed without the dealership. If you have 3 or more keys you can program the keys without the dealership. If you are only programming 2 keys, like you only have 2 keys and that's it. That programming must be done at the dealership.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

The guy said "the FOB died"
FOB = REMOTE PORTION OF THE KEY
The guys FOB died not his key!

BuckMR2,ex 3.0 X Type,
2007 XJ Sovereign LWB TDVi, Decarbed, 26 PSI/600+Nm Torque , Premium Sound,Ruched leather,Rear Entertainment, ALL seats heat and recline,2012 Nav,20"Callistos,Redstuff ceramic pads,Mina Gallery Lower Grille,Late Jag Upper grille,Trays, DPF removed for more power and economy, both EGRs electronically closed and deleted as LH EGR was faulty and stuck shut...NITROUS to follow!
Old 07-03-2011, 06:07 PM

Thanks. I see that now. My experience at dealing with certain people is that they don't know what they are talking about, like a lot of people on this forum. I was just explaining a way to help him/her. Thanks for the bold writing buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMR2 View Post
The guy said "the FOB died"
FOB = REMOTE PORTION OF THE KEY
The guys FOB died not his key!
Old 07-18-2011, 04:39 PM

My spare key fob stopped working. I can still use the key to unlock/lock and start my Jaguar X type, 2003. When I push the buttons to remote lock/unlock/trunk/lights, nothing happens. I assumed it was the battery, so replaced it, still nothing. I took the fob to Auto zone and tested it, and it is transmitting. Is there a fuse or something that would not allow it to transmit?
Old 07-19-2011, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member

If you took too long replacing the battery or the old battery was drained the fob needs recoding
Your old battery might have depleted so the fob wouldnt work (usually you have to get nearer and nearer to the car as it depletes) and the new one wont work until its recoded
Simply to recode in seconds follow the instruction on the forum
If it has been recoded and still doesnt work spray some WD40 on the ignotion switch flap which should move when you put your key in the ignition, it often sticks causing fob probs

BuckMR2,ex 3.0 X Type,

Last edited by BuckMR2; 07-19-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:32 PM

Here's my question...

The first time my key "lost" its code and I had to reprogram it was last month. Never happened before then in 3 years of owning my car. Since then, I have to reprogram the key at least once or twice a week... What gives? The battery in my fob is good, also replaced about a month ago.

Low N Slow...................................
Old 07-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

There was a fault with some fobs something to the metal shield inside the fob.Only affected some VIN ranges I think if I remember there was a TSB.Try checking through the TSBs listed on the forum

BuckMR2,ex 3.0 X Type,
Old 08-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I <3 X-Type View Post
HELLO EVERYONE!!!! I THINK THERE IS A MISTAKE IN THE WRITE UP!!!!!!
I just bought a FOB off ebay the other day and just tried it as it is stated in the directions. The problem im having is it didnt make any noise and was not working!!!! So in my experience with other programming i turned the to the III mark instead of the II!!!!!!! So turn the key to the II position then turn it to the III position four times you will here the beeps. Aftyer the beeps press lock or unlock on both or all key fobs one right after another. THAT WORKED!!!!! I to II doesnt. II to III does!!!!! Hope this helps!!!!!!
Confirmed. Replaced a battery in a remote that wasn't working. It can start the car but no remote buttons were working. Tried programming it with I to II but no GEM chime. Tried II to III and the GEM chime happened and the "good" remote would program. Sadly the other didn't. Looks like a dead remote for me. Off to do some shopping I guess.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:06 PM

Gary Noble

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrd View Post
Looks like a dead remote for me. Off to do some shopping I guess.
Just something to consider, my wife had several old Ford (07 Mustang) remotes lying around the house...
Took two and successfully programmed them

Cheers
Gary
Old 08-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

Not to beat the dead horse but, $23 later from Remotez4Less, four turns to III position and the magic GEM chime and we are back in business.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrd View Post
Not to beat the dead horse but, $23 later from Remotez4Less, four turns to III position and the magic GEM chime and we are back in business.
Same here I went and bought a new remote off Ebay and followed the instructions posted on here. It worked.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:21 PM

Smile Happy!

Ordered a remote from Remotez4less for my wife's 2002 X Type. Used the instructions at the start of the thread and HOLY CRAP!!!! It actually worked!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:21 PM

Tags
2002, car, coding, discovery, fob, fobs, forums, ignition, jaguar, key, keys, program, programing, programming, spare, type, xjs