X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote programming

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Remote programming

Out key in ignition with driver door open. Turn on and off (position2 all lights on dash) 4 times. You will hear a chime. Pull key out and push unlock button on remote.

Just by chance, when you pull the key out, does it still chime with door open? Common problem with X-Type people think remote is dead. It is the little door on ignition tumbler sticks open. Cannot use remote then because car thinks key still in ignition. If it is sticking. Wiggle key as you take it out and see if door closes. Then try remote again.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:55 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Great information..very handy..thanks

Old 01-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic info JagTech...Thanks.
That's what makes this forum great!

Old 01-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Anther great stuff buy
FactoryJagtech .
This should be sticky as well

Old 01-15-2008, 07:58 AM

This was only for xtype remote programming. Keys are different. You need tool to programme key unless you have two available that are already programmed. That's a different story.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: bojangles

lol I posted the pdf for doing this several times and each time someone told me that I was wrong and that only coded the remote to the remote unlocking.

We (this msg board) were told that there is a seperate programming that needs to be done by the dealer only to code a new key to some other part of the anti-theft system otherwise the car will not start. (security failed)

https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_31999/tm.htm

JFT, can you confirm that?
As a side note, he asked for remote programming, not key. Is that what you were referring to? If you need info on key programming I will let you know. As I said, you need two good keys already.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FactoryJaguarTech
As a side note, he asked for remote programming, not key. Is that what you were referring to? If you need info on key programming I will let you know. As I said, you need two good keys already.
Hi there!

I'm new to this forum. Still working on finalizing the sales transaction and having the car shipped to me.

In the meantime, would you please clarify this whole thread? So, I surmise that that the remotes need to be programmed a specific way. Now, the big question I have is whether the key needs to be programmed as well or will it work as long as the remote part is programmed? If so, would you please provide clear instructions on programming each?

Also, I had heard that the X-Type only handles up to 3 key/remotes to be stored in its memory. Is this correct? I thought it would handle up to 4 key/remotes.

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by exrub
Hi there!

I'm new to this forum. Still working on finalizing the sales transaction and having the car shipped to me.

In the meantime, would you please clarify this whole thread? So, I surmise that that the remotes need to be programmed a specific way. Now, the big question I have is whether the key needs to be programmed as well or will it work as long as the remote part is programmed? If so, would you please provide clear instructions on programming each?

Also, I had heard that the X-Type only handles up to 3 key/remotes to be stored in its memory. Is this correct? I thought it would handle up to 4 key/remotes.

Thanks!

If you pull the key fob apart to replace the battery, what you have left is the key part that only has the actual key, and the remote part that has the buttons. You can program the remotes to operate the keyless entry on an X-Type by following the instructions in this thread. You have to do all remote fobs at the same time. Meaning, once you take the key out and hit a button on the remote, you have 10 seconds to hit the button on another remote, then another 10 seconds for the next. If you don't have all the remotes with you, wait because you'll have to go through the whole process again. The remote is programmable by simply following the instructions in this thread.

The key however, which actually goes into the ignition cylinder when you start the car has to be programmed by Jag. There's a chip inside and there's no way around that as far as I know.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:16 AM

That's what I was trying to figure out...whether the key itself had to be programmed as well. Also, an earlier post gave the key programming instructions that was typical for a Ford/Mercury/Lincoln when the key and remote were separate items. I am guessing that method would not work on the key portion for the Jaguar?

Old 07-27-2010, 06:21 AM

Hi, FactoryJaguarTech!

You seem to be very knowledgeable on this. Would you please confirm the above?

Thanks!

Old 07-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is semantics but remember you aren't programing the key or the remote but rather programing the car to recognize the remote or key. The remote and key recognition are program independently. If you have a good key you can program for the remotes but unless you have two good already recognized keys you must have the key code programed into the car by the dealer or a well equiped locksmith.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Default You guys are great!

Success!!!

I was able to get the remotes and keys programmed to the car. The instructions I found here worked perfectly.

Thanks!!!

Old 08-24-2010, 03:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Glad, it worked for you

Old 08-24-2010, 07:17 AM

Now, if someone would be able to help me with the phonebook download, I'd be done with all the technial issues at the moment.

I have an '07 X-Type with the navigation and bluetooth. I've followed the instructions for pairing the phone with the car...that worked. I thought the phonebook download was automatic with an LG EnV, but that didn't work. So, I followed the instructions for manually downloading the phonebook. That didn't work. When I start the car, it says the phonebook is not ready. Here's a potential cause. The phone times out after five minutes if no bluetooth activity occurs. However, the instructions say that I need to have the car on "OFF" position for six minutes. Is that why the phonebook is not downloading or is there another problem?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Pics will be uploaded in the New Member forum once she's been detailed...hopefully next week.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:17 PM

Will this method work on a 2001 S-Type remote?

Old 06-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by snoopra
Will this method work on a 2001 S-Type remote?
No, unfortunately there is no manual method to program remotes on the first generation S-Type. Bummer!

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Remote programming