X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC on driver side blows hot, passenger side blows cold

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC on driver side blows hot, passenger side blows cold

After charging up the AC, the driver side blows hot, passenger side blows cold. I'm being told that the compressor needs to be replaced. There is a leak that sounds like it's coming from the compressor. I'm also being told there are two sides to the compressor and that is why there is a difference in the driver and passenger side.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would get a 2nd opinion, doesnt make sense that the compressor is divided into 2 sections, i would think it posible drivers motor out or something else tht switches the motors on. I'm havign similiar problems my self ezcept my ac fan motors wotn kick on high they run on a very low speed, the air comign out is ice cold 95 xj6 4.0 eng

Old 07-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Riche$$
After charging up the AC, the driver side blows hot, passenger side blows cold. I'm being told that the compressor needs to be replaced. There is a leak that sounds like it's coming from the compressor. I'm also being told there are two sides to the compressor and that is why there is a difference in the driver and passenger side.
Who ever told you that is a complete idiot. Our compressors are no different than any other. What is probably happening in your case is mechanical under the dash. One of the doors isn't completely closing and allowing warm air to enter on the drivers side. Mine does a similar thing occasionally. I simply recycle the buttons several times until it works properly again.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:17 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just adding my affirmation to Green Machine that the trouble is under the dash with the flap door motion; mine acts just like GM's and responds to cycling of the RECIRC and AUTO commands favorably. --Tom

Old 07-04-2011, 09:32 AM
JDP

Mine did something similar a few weeks ago, I had to remove the battery to replace a worn waterpump belt and belt tensioner, when I hooked it back up the AC blew hot as in the heater on full. Here was my fix after figuring out the AC was working and the compressor was turning on (which yours does since it is working on one side) I figured I had a vacuum problem or a computer problem. So the 1st thing I tried, which worked was a I reset the computer completely by disconnecting the battery overnight. The next morning it blew ice cold again and has for over a month in 90+ summer temps.

I know it is a pain to reset the windows and everything else, but for a no cost DIY test, and if it fixes the problem that is a small price to pay.

And yes I work in IT so my first instinct is always reboot the system.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:22 PM

jdp, inteestingggggggggggggggg i think i will do that, cause man i checked elays, fuses, re cleaned on the climate controls buttons with electronic cleaner, so humm interesting thought,
95 xj6 4.0eng

Old 07-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what really happens when u diconnect the battery overnight? my a/c blows hot when am stuck in traffic but chills when am on the go. i had the compressor checked and everything is fine including the gas in the system. i don't know what to do next. any help?

Old 07-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Originally Posted by baffourg
what really happens when u diconnect the battery overnight? my a/c blows hot when am stuck in traffic but chills when am on the go. i had the compressor checked and everything is fine including the gas in the system. i don't know what to do next. any help?
This may be helpful.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...problem-53501/

Old 07-04-2011, 11:52 PM

I am having exact same problem. Passenger side middle and far rt vents are ice cold but driver side middle and far left are warm.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by baffourg
Might be your fan controller. The fans may not be blowing full speed when you are stopped. If you are not getting air moving across the condenser the system will not cool.. Could be why it works when you are moving..

Old 07-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can tell you exactly what may be wrong with your car because I had the same problem with mine. My car initally would only cool when the car was in motion, but when idling it would become warm again. Turns out I needed a new compressor which cost me (well dad) about $1400 bones...but sometimes you can find them cheaper online. After the compressor was installed by my dad's mechanic, I noticed the passenger side was blowing out cold and my side was warm. The AC system needed to be recharged....(there wasn't enough of the fluid that makes it cold in it). So most likely, you just need your system recharged.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:12 PM
Default Problem fixed, repl. AC compressor and a refigerant charge

Problem fixed, repl. AC compressor and a refigerant charge.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Did you try the fix in the TSB?