X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Sat Nav retrofit revisited......

Old 09-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The Sat Nav retrofit revisited......

Hi all, I wont make this too long winded but wanted to ask advice from anyone who has already done this: retrofitted a Sat Nav unit from the X type to a car that has the Digital heater/cooler controls, Digital Radio and a cd player. My car,as far as I can tell is the base model, it doesn't have the DIS system, doesn't have cruise control and is the 2005 2.0 Diesel sport variant.

Basically I would like to retrofit a Sat Nav unit, without the need for the Sat Nav itself to work, I dont need the system to do anything other than to play cd's, change the temperature and to change channels and tune the radio. I have looked at many forums and seen that there are modules and the likes to be put into the boot, under the dash etc. What i would like to know is that if I only wanted the touchscreen for the looks and functionality that I already have with my standard controls, would it be a simple plug and play operation? would I be able to set climate temp, change the cd tracks and tune the radio etc with nothing more than the head unit and no need for any other wiring or other mods?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help and who takes the time to read this.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts

if you want a basic stock set up
this is what you want

Name:  20131011_191542_zpsd75bd203.jpg
Views: 3686
Size:  32.6 KB

Name:  20130819_141816_zpsecd7757b.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  30.1 KB

Name:  20130701_201516_zpsa4ab8903.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  75.6 KB

Name:  20130701_201447_zps1507ef5f.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  73.0 KB

Name:  20130713_121118_zpse5cdff69.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  43.6 KB

Old 09-30-2014, 03:21 AM
Default still not sure of answer..

Hi Dennis and thanks for answering,

I'm not sure I phrased the question correctly though, or that I got my message across. In your pics, there are varios components for the satellite system, the antenna, the dvd player the gps the module and harness etc. As far as I know, all of these parts are solely for the GPS and I don't want or need any GPS funcionality.

All I was wondering was this: If I took the head unit in your first picture, just that part, nothing else from any of the other pics, would I be able to plug it into my car directly and have radio and Climate control funcionality or is the DVD module and sat nav system a necessity for the touch scree to work or would my existing radio and climate connectors be incompatible with the new unit?

Thanks

Old 09-30-2014, 01:22 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You will need the DVD unit for the touchscreen operating system, it basically loads from there.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by ArmXT
You will need the DVD unit for the touchscreen operating system, it basically loads from there.

Thanks for that, I'm sorry for the delay in replying, I'm up the walls lately! Anyway, I might as well scrap the DVD touchscreen thing then, seems like the whole system might set me back a few hundred quid if i was lucky and the parts dont seem to be that easy to source, plenty screens about, just doesn't seem to be that many cables and DVD's from the little bit of research that I've done. I'd really enjoy the DIY aspect of it, but it might be a bit too costly for what would be gained later.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:58 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Took me nearly 2 years to get all my parts.
Just waited and watched e-bay (us and uk) until the parts came along at the right price.
all in all cost me around $220 for the whole system.
it did help that i still had family in the UK who I could ship stuff to and then pick up on a visit to cut down on shipping costs

Last edited by Paulc732; 10-17-2014 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Paulc732
Took me nearly 2 years to get all my parts.
Just waited and watched e-bay (us and uk) until the parts came along at the right price.
all in all cost me around $220 for the whole system.
it did help that i still had family in the UK who I could ship stuff to and then pick up on a visit to cut down on shipping costs

So Paul, as someone who has actually done it, apart from the difficulty in getting the parts, was it all just a plug and play job?

I was led to believe that with just the head unit, the touchscreen part, that it was direct plug and play, no need for any other parts just so long as all you wanted was the radio, cd player and climate control functionality. is it really necessary to put in the dvd and other modules if one isnt going to need them? One poster said above that the dvd is the loader for the touchscreen, would I be correct in thinking then that the DVD isnt just that but its more like a "mini-pc"?

Old 10-18-2014, 08:06 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by barryo2002

I was led to believe that with just the head unit, the touchscreen part, that it was direct plug and play, no need for any other parts just so long as all you wanted was the radio, cd player and climate control functionality. is it really necessary to put in the dvd and other modules if one isnt going to need them? One poster said above that the dvd is the loader for the touchscreen, would I be correct in thinking then that the DVD isnt just that but its more like a "mini-pc"?
The DVD player contains hardware that the climate control module needs.
without the DVD player you will get the 50-51 error as the climate control has no connection to the network and thus cannot see the temp sensor etc....

I am afraid it is an all or nothing situation.

what you need for retrofit.

Touch Screen. (with correct defroster to match your car )
climate control module ..(plug n play just have to relocate in passenger foot well)
DVD player.
CD player faceplate (as the original is connected to the climate control can be cut away)
fiber optic cable to run to boot, trunk (you may already have on fitted as standard, or relocate DVD somewhere up front)
DVD loom (from donor car or make one not very hard)
external GPS antenna

best and probably cheapest way is buy a wrecked X-type with NAV

take the parts you need and sell the rest for parts to recoup funds
Plus side lots of spare parts
down side now you have a non running car you have to store somewhere

and yes Plug n Play (if you are using a donor cable check you have a blue plug under your back seat if not then additional wiring is required also you will need to splice a few wires at the head unit very easy and we can walk you through it)

hope this helps..... good luck

Last edited by Paulc732; 10-19-2014 at 06:33 AM.