X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sealant Tape on Transfer Case "Drain" Plug? RESOLVED

Old 03-29-2015, 12:37 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Sealant Tape on Transfer Case "Drain" Plug? RESOLVED

I've got everything I need to do some serious work on my X Type, starting with the transfer case oil.

I couldn't find a definitive yes or no regarding this, so here's the question:

Do you guys use a sealant tape on the threads of the transfer case "drain" plug?

If not, any leakage?

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2015, 01:16 AM
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
Old 03-29-2015, 01:35 AM

I appreciate the reply, and have already read that thread, among many others.

However, unless I'm just blind, there is little reference to drain/fill (side) plug sealant, though at one point I saw it mentioned, but no "yes" or "no" regarding it.

So, I still am not sure. Apparently the plug has red sealant or something on the threads, from the factory, but is it necessary to reseal the threads with sealant tape? Or is it fine to just tighten the plug to 20nm and be done with it?

Anyone know either way? I just don't want to constantly check the plug to make sure it's not leaking when I'm done.

Thanks again!

Old 03-29-2015, 08:12 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,822 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Lub, I work in an industry where keeping things sealed is very important (gotta love nuclear power). Now, my answer might surprise you. You don't need to seal the plug. Sure, you can add the tape if it makes you feel better, but it is not required. Due to how the threads are made on the plug (there is a slight taper to the threads), as you tighten it more and more, the plug is essentially getting bigger and bigger (in relation to the hole). So, you will reach a point where the plug will fill the hole and going tighter is only going to cause damage. You can feel this point as you are putting in the plug as you will feel the plug pretty easy to install then in a 1/4 of a turn, it will go from pretty easy to damn near impossible to turn.

If you do decide to use a sealant, I would recommend something more along the lines of a liquid sealant. The problem that can potentially arise from using something like tape is if you don't install the tape correctly, it can become loose and be foreign material inside the transfer case and it can potentially lead to damage (granted, not very likely based on the tape). Using the liquid sealant, if you get too much, it will return to liquid when inside the case.

As for proper installation of tape/sealant, there is one golden rule: NEVER!!!! put anything that covers the last thread!!!!! The idea behind this is if you don't have anything over the last thread, then when you install the bolt/plug, anything that may come off is going to come out at you, not go into the system. If using tape, it should also be applied in the direction of installation. So, as you are putting in the plug, it should be pushing down the last bit of tape, not trying to peel it up.

If you need to know more, let me know. Probably more info than you really wanted to know as it is.

The following users liked this post:
Lubrication (03-30-2015)
Old 03-30-2015, 12:42 AM

That's EXACTLY the what I wanted to know. I'm the kind of guy who won't use sealant if it won't help. Also, I was indeed concerned that some of it might come off in the case causing possible issues.

Perfect post, Thermo. Thank you.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:45 PM

Well, I got it done. Too easy.

Here's a picture of my drain plug (ugly as hell, but nothing out of the ordinary) and the oil that came out. The particulate in the oil blew into it while it was in the drain pan, the oil itself was rather clean.

Not bad for breaking the factory red sealant for the first time in 155,000 miles or so. I was prepared for far worse.

Attached Thumbnails Sealant Tape on Transfer Case "Drain" Plug? RESOLVED-img_8786.jpg   Sealant Tape on Transfer Case "Drain" Plug? RESOLVED-img_8850.jpg  
Old 04-01-2015, 11:42 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

For what it is worth, the plug on the side of the transfer case is not a drain plug. It is there to fill the box with oil when the car was being constructed. The lack of drain and filler plugs has been the subject of much comment on here and many have installed a drain plug on their cars by drilling and tapping the casing.

Astromorg is a well consulted expert on this subject.

The Jaguar workshop manual -approved method for an oil change is to remove the propeller shaft to the rear of the car then take off the transfer box output pinion assembly (taking care to count exactly the required number of turns on the spanner before the nut fell off - in my case 15), drain the box completely then put everything back together with new oil seals. These are C2S4875 and C2s5132. Tighten pinion nut the exact same number of turns it took to remove - which ensures the end float adjustment is not disturbed. Then jack the car up so that the left hand side is higher than the right and fill the box with 400ml of oil. (ref Jaguar workshop manual section 308-07).

Some people suck the old oil out with a large syringe and refill with exactly the amount they got out - but the problem with this method is you can never be sure the oil level was correct in the first place... although if you get 300ml or so out I reckon that will do. When I took my transfer case apart there was only about 50ml of oil left...

Last edited by Bogbrush; 04-01-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:10 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default USA spec X-type 2.5 automatic impossible to drain Transfer Case

Well folks you can all color me discouraged. After buying everything needed to drain and refill the Transfer Case in my 2002 X-Type 2.5 w/automatic JATCO transmission, I find it impossible due to the proximity of the transmission to the transfer case. Its so close you cannot even SEE the drain plug. The access pictured on many web sites simply does not exist on my American spec car.

I'll have to return the lubricant where I bought it and make an appointment with the dealer to perform the TC oil swap.

What a drag too, I had quick disconnect fittings (like those found on air compressor hoses) all ready to make it easy to disconnect the fill hose before removing the fill extension tube and replacing the drain plug as well as a small electric pump to pump in the fresh oil.

Last edited by TomTom; 05-10-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Sorry to hear that this job seems to have gotten the best of you. It can't be something related to it being an American spec car, as MANY members here in the US have done it to their cars. You might want to search some more o here as there are literally hundreds of posts on here on this very subject and there is also a sticky on how to do it. Granted, I have never done this myself (I have my mechanic do it), but it does sound pretty straightforward, at least maybe after you have done it at least once. Maybe hang in there a little longer and maybe someone will chime in with some pictures or a better explanation that will click for you. I know Thermo has done this a number of times and I'm sure if anyone could distill the steps down to something anyone could understand it would be him. He missed his calling. He should have been a teacher or instructor of some sort.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Tom Tom, my X Type is a 2.5 automatic and this link shows how I approached the problem.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-point-105687/

I know I made my own connectors, but some of the miniature style shut-off valves available today will fit.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:40 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Tom Tom: Before you return the gear oil and call the dealer for an appointment.....

Your X-Type is similar to mine: U.S. 2002 2.5L with JATCO automatic transmission. And by coincidence, today I drained and refilled the transfer case.

You are correct - there's hardly enough space to install a fitting in the drain hole. But the fitting is a nicety, not a necessity.

As described and pictured in several threads (below), I jacked up the passenger-side 21 inches to drain the old oil, and jacked up the driver-side 21 inches to refill with new oil. It took about an ~hour, most time spent jacking and lowering opposite sides of the car. Next weekend I'll repeat the process until I remove substantially all residual old oil from the transfer case.

Here are pictures of the transfer case drain port. It's on the U.S. driver-side of the transfer case, towards the front of the car. With the car is elevated, it's more easily accessed if you lie on your back under the front bumper, instead of under the driver & passenger doors.

Sealant Tape on Transfer Case "Drain" Plug? RESOLVED-jaguar-x-type-transfer-case-drain.jpg

Sealant Tape on Transfer Case "Drain" Plug? RESOLVED-jaguar-x-type-transfer-case-drain1.jpg

And here are several threads that helped me understand the task before I climbed under the car today. Let us know how we can help you.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...change-124701/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...fluids-139865/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ng-p-ns-60135/

http://sitemaker.umich.edu/ancient.s...bojangles_.ppt

Last edited by dwclapp; 05-11-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today I did the transfercase drain and fill. To my amazement, what little came out (barely more than a 6" diameter puddle) was fairly clean and of a syrup-like consistency with less than expected shavings on the magnet. I'll do it again in a few weeks to get a bit more fresh oil in there flushing out the old. Now, on to the brakes!