X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seat overheating

Old 10-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seat overheating

The passenger seat in my jaguar x type 2005 is overheating and it is somewhat too hot to sit on. I am not sure if I see a difference between the red and orange setting.
Is there a way to control the heat?
I am also looking for a second hand tan/champagne driver seat either 8 or 10 positions in Canada montreal or toronto and having little luck in finding one
any ideas? My heater element is burnt out and the back of the seat is torn, so I would prefer buying a driver seat in good condition.
Tried Bershires in Toronto and they had none
thanks
frujag

Old 10-23-2013, 02:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you tried Berkshire motors in toronto and had no luck then your next step is to try kijiji or ebay.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:15 AM

finally got the left seat repaired at a garage, for 25% of what jaguar was going to charge me in Montreal.
The right passenger heat is too hot. Is there any control to adjust the heat
thanks
frujag

Old 09-14-2014, 01:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

frujag, normally when you find that the seat starts developing a hot spot, that is because the metal ribbon that is the heating element is failing in that general area and it is providing an area of increased resistance, and therefore heat. Soon you will find out that the seat will no longer be getting warm. This is when the heating element in the seat has completely failed.

With this being said, if you are handy with a soldering iron, you can fix it yourself with a little bit of work. In short, knowing where the seat gets hot, you will remove the skin/leather off of the seat and expose a fabric mesh that is between the leather and the foam rubber. Inside this mesh is the heating element. You will probably notice that there will be 1 (or more) brown/black spots in the mesh. Each of these discolorations is where the heating element is starting to fail. If you put a small rip in the fabric, you should expose a metal ribbon. If you use a multimeter, you will find that if you measure across the spot, you may find that it will have a fairly high resistance or even indicate an open.

The fix is to get yourself some 22 gauge solid core wire and solder a small piece of wire across the bad spot in the heating element (ie, lay the wire over the gap, place a small amount of solder at each end of the wire and then using the multimeter, make sure you have a very low resistance). Probably best to do this to every discoloration. Put the seat cover back on and you should be golden.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:47 PM

thank you very much for the quick answer. I know how to take the seat out, but I do not know how to remove the skin. Is there a site that shows me how to do this?. My left seat had no heat at all and the element was changed, i.e. replaced by a local garage at a reasonable amount. Before eventually asking them to do this repair, I would attempt to repair it myself if I can remove the skin
thanks.
My other issue is that the heater for the car is only blowing cold air and this just started yesterday. Today's temperature in Canada where i live was just above freezing. I will top off tomorrow the cooling system which reads minimum level and will try again.
thanks and cheers
frujag

Old 09-14-2014, 07:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

frujag, I would need to look at my car, but if I recall correctly, you will find that there are clips on the under side of the seat that hold the leather to the metal frame. All you have to do is to remove the seat and then open up the clips a litlte bit to pull them off of the seat. Once you get the clips off, the seat leather pulls right off

Old 09-23-2014, 07:20 AM
Smile

thanks.
decided to aqsk my local and reliable garage to take a look at the seat and the interor heater which was also not working. It is 5 degrees this morning in Nort Hatley Quebec where I live

Old 12-17-2014, 08:58 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have also noticed during operation of the seat heaters, even in low setting, it gets too hot to leave on for an extended period of time. I don't notice any particular hot spots, just overall it is getting too hot. Is there supposed to be some type of thermostat that regulates the seat temperature, or is it just an on/off type of control? On my Volvo s60, I pretty much leave the heated seats on low setting all the time during the winter, although they head up much more slowly than on the x-type.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

There is a thermostat fitted in the seat squab of each seat and there should be a discernible difference between the red and amber switch settings. The seat back has always been less hot than the squab since new.

The X Type heated seats are intended to be fast heating and hot so as a result they are also timed to switch off after 10 minutes. This is noticeably different to say the XK8 heaters that are slower to heat up, not as hot but not time limited. I reason that to be because while the XK8 might be driven in winter with the top down and continuous lower level heated seats would be helpful, in the X Type, by the time 10 minutes are up, Climate Control should have rendered them unnecessary!

N Americans in winter might challenge that UK view!!

Old 12-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess the Jaguar engineers have not yet learned how to cook a frog...