X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sell out.....

Old 03-28-2015, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Wink Sell out.....

Well.....I did it........A warranty company called me for the 4th time yesterday, and I went with them. I got a 5 year 100,000 mile policy for a $50 down payment, and $80 dollars a month, for the drivetrain(engine and anything mounted on it, transmission, transfer case, and rear end, wheel bearings, as well as electrical outside the passenger compartment) They have a $100 deductible per incident, and supply a rental car and towing. They even pay up front, and would prefer I get my repairs done at a dealership, or any place that has ASE certified technicians. All I need to do is keep my receipts for maintenance items, that I do at home. Since I do my own oil changes, brake work, body work, and tune ups, it was a good deal for me. I am too old to swap out engines, and drivetrain parts, and I drive my cars til the wheels fall off. Sorry for being such a sell out, but with 2 Jags, things get pretty expensive at times......Be cool....Mike

Old 03-28-2015, 09:37 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It sounds like a great deal for you all around!

I too am getting to a point where my body is no longer as cooperative with what my mind wishes to do (over 50 but mentally still feel 25).

Would you supply a link for others who may be interested?

-M

Old 03-29-2015, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member

I will, when I get the paper work, sometime this week. In the mean time, here is their phone number 931 225 7144, and I think the company name is Sullus. I was called while watching my grandsons, at their house, so I had no access to pen and paper. Crayon and paper yes-----Pen and paper no.....Be cool.....Mike

Old 03-29-2015, 10:42 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by mrplow58
I got a 5 year 100,000 mile policy for a $50 down payment, and $80 dollars a month,
If I read that correctly, that's going to cost you $4,880. over the 5 years plus $100 for each claim.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't drive till the wheels fall off!
A wheel bearing is not that expensive and does warn you ahead

Old 03-29-2015, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Wink

Originally Posted by Mikey
If I read that correctly, that's going to cost you $4,880. over the 5 years plus $100 for each claim.
It is only going to be $3800, because I only pay for 48 months. How long have you owned Jags, or Porsches, or Ferraris? A Ferrari timing belt replacement if it breaks, is over $18,000. A Porsche Trans rebuild is over $9000, and having 2 Jags and a Porsche, I need just a little help keeping my daily driver on the road, and my toys humming.......unless you want to do the heavy stuff for me????? Be cool.....Mike

Old 03-29-2015, 03:06 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

OK, $3800.

Insurance companies are in business to make a profit. They've concluded that statistically they'll spend less than $3800 on your car in the next 5 years. What other cars you have and what they might cost to repair is irrelevant.

An X type in working order won't be worth $3800 in a few years. Keep the $3800 in the bank and buy another car for parts if and when yours craps out.

Old 03-29-2015, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Considering you have an '07 pretty much all the bugs were worked out of the car by then. It was the early cars that had most of the teething issues. If your particular car was maintained before you bought it and with your extensive mechanical skills I would say the odds are definitely in your favor that you won't have anything catastrophic happen to it. But it's a gamble for sure. If it gives you peace of mind, it's worth it for that alone. But I think you might be ahead if you just put $80 a month aside and draw from that if anything comes up. There are good extended warranty companies and bad ones. I personally would be skeptical of anyone trying to sell me something unsolicited on the phone.

I did a brief search of that phone number and it might be a company called Precision Auto Protection using a VOIP number. Couldn't find any information on anything called "Sullus" or the like. From the little I could find could find it doesn't sound like they get many (any?) positive reviews. Not 100% sure if that is the company you are dealing with, but make sure you read everything very carefully. Hope it is legit, but check them out before giving them your money. Anything can be promised over the phone. It's what is in writing that matters. And even then, they may want to find loopholes, like the issue was preexisting before you bought the policy, your receipts for parts and materials are not sufficient, you are not ASE certified, etc. Not trying to scare you, just don't want you to get ripped off. Let the buyer beware!

Old 03-30-2015, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Wink

Hi.....Precision Auto Protection was bought out by Sullus, so their reputation is still up in the air. If I have a bad experience, according to the contract, I can stop paying the premium at any time.

While I have had a lot of experience, and WAS a top tier technician, after having a hole poked one inch in my head by a faulty hoist, a stroke, and 84 attempts at electro-convulsive(electroshock) therapy, taking a handful of pills in the morning and night, to appear normal, I am nothing physically and in some ways mentally the tech I was before. If I was still working, I would be at an independent, until he sucked what knowledge he could out of me, and then get sacked, or a half a** manager selling tires.

What general information you guys get out of me is just a small percentage of what I used to know. I can't even remember all the cars I've had in my signature, and need my son to watch me, when I do my brakes, or other critical work on my cars, because he doesn't want me to get hurt.(not stopping is always worse than not going) He does let me struggle with mods, or running problems. My wife doesn't let me do anything on her car. That is why she bought a 100K mile warranty, when she bought her 2014 Jeep.

While I never needed a warranty before now, I think the time is right. I am not yet 60, but my body, and the medical profession has betrayed me in the last 8 years. I know it sucks, but I am paying through the nose for enough life insurance to even bury me, and leave no debt for my wife and family to deal with when I die, and I will certainly go before them, unless there is some tragic accident.

All I can leave you guys with is to get life insurance when you are young and healthy. Live every day as if it is your last. Never sit down and give up no matter what your health is, or you will surely die sooner than later. Have a few close friends, instead of hundreds of acquaintances. Pretty much stay away from doctors, unless you notice something unusual, or am sick, because they are on a kind of flat rate system also, and give what knowledge you do have, about what ever you do, to younger generations. Have ethics morals, and don't ever lie, because it always catches up with you in the end. Pretty much live, love and give.

On a couple of other sites I was a mod on, I was known as the Hippy prophet, or Cool dude that the administrators described me as, in my mod description.

.......That's all you are getting out of me today, because I am watching my youngest grandson, and he is a lot like I was.......Be cool.....Mike

Old 03-30-2015, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

I wouldn't buy anything that someone tried to " Cold sell"" me over the phone . Plus most of those warranties are fine until you claim ,then they quote small print . " Sorry you claim is invalid if there is an R in the month !! "

Old 03-30-2015, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Wink

Originally Posted by Five Speed
I wouldn't buy anything that someone tried to " Cold sell"" me over the phone . Plus most of those warranties are fine until you claim ,then they quote small print . " Sorry you claim is invalid if there is an R in the month !! "
It wasn't really a cold call, because I had been investigating companies for close to a year. Most of the time, as a private citizen, when you first give them a call, the registration fee is almost more than the car is worth. They deal mostly with car dealers, who get a large discount. Like I said this was their 4th call to me, and the terms seemed reasonable at the time.

The second thing is to get everything in writing, and know exactly what you are buying. I did a lot of work on cars that had an aftermarket warranty, and 80% of them paid according to book time, and not warranty time, so I didn't mind doing a car with an aftermarket warranty. The only thing that kind of sucked was waiting an hour to get the OK to repair the car. You got used to that though.

Most dealers will recommend that you purchase an extended warranty, not only because they get a commission, but with the prices to repair today's complicated cars and the special tools needed to do a repair. It is in your best interest. You have the security of knowing the car will be repaired properly, and you won't need to mortgage your house, or be forced to give your car to the dealer for pennies, and buy either a new car, or another used car that has no history.

While working in the shop, I never encountered a company that didn't do what their contract said. A few times the customer got upset, because they didn't read the contract, before they purchased the warranty, but as a whole things went very smoothly.

Even with the DIY forums like this, you still need to go to the dealer to have him electrically set up the parts you just installed. Just replacing the electrically shifted valve body in my XK8 trans would send most people to the dealer, just to have their control unit flashed, so it could relearn how to shift properly. I am lucky to have a very expensive scannner, that allows me to flash control units, and use my laptop to program them. Even the control units on our X Types have 2 modes, so I would expect that even they would need to be flashed, if you replaced anything electrical in the trans or engine.

In the old days, things were simple and interchangeable, but the cars were a lot dirtier to operate. People used to commit suicide, by running their cars in garages. With modern cars, we had a woman try to commit suicide, and she just woke up with a honkin headache, because there wasn't enough oxygen for the car to operate, but enough for a human to breathe. Almost no carbon monoxide is emitted by today's cars, if you look at an emission report. Many garages don't even need exhaust hoses, at the mechanic bays anymore.

Be cool....Mike

Old 03-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
OK, $3800.

Insurance companies are in business to make a profit. They've concluded that statistically they'll spend less than $3800 on your car in the next 5 years. What other cars you have and what they might cost to repair is irrelevant.

An X type in working order won't be worth $3800 in a few years. Keep the $3800 in the bank and buy another car for parts if and when yours craps out.
"make a profit"... Insurance companies and every other business wanting to have a run longer than a sprint to Chapter 11!

Insurance actuaries don't base their conclusions on a single vehicle. Their conclusion is that the gross premiums minus the actual payouts provides a working margin!

IF you want to keep your vehicle, then this sounds reasonable, especially for someone who is realizing that the heavy lifting is a thing of their youthful past and taking into account the dealer's cost of repair.

I just got my Jaguar last year and like other cars that I really enjoy driving, I'm thinking I'll hold onto it until that inevitable day, then my children can use it to drive me to Forest Lawn.

Before my Jag I had a 2002 Tahoe. When a little old lady passed out at the wheel her passenger used my truck as a backstop. The insurance company quit estimating repairs at $6000, totaled it, and offered me $6000. A month's worth of negotiating got me $12,000, which would have more than repaired my truck, but what are you going to do they have their methods.

My point is don't believe auto valuation companies. That's one form of value, but there are others equally valid.

Sorry for the long off topic rambling.

-M

Old 03-30-2015, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

As long as you are comfortable with the transaction is all that matters. Hope it works out for you as planned.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:25 PM
Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

In my family we kind of joke about how my Daughters Jag can't go 3 or 4 weeks without another trip back to me for some type of repair or another so I guess only time will tell.

If you don't feel like attempting all the repairs it may need down the raod, I think it's a small price to pay for the peace of mind you'll get.

As troublesome as these pretty little kittys can be, when you look back in 3 or 4 years it may turn out to be money well spent and if it turns out to be trouble free for the next 2-3 years I'd sell it before the extended warranty runs out as by then it'll most likely to be on borrowed time for something bad to go wrong....))

Old 04-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfadude
As long as you are comfortable with the transaction is all that matters. Hope it works out for you as planned.
+1, alfadude

Hopefully you won't need any warranty repairs to begin with. And if you do, its nice to be covered. That doesn't make you a sell out.

I bought an extended warranty for $2600 when I got an XJR, with a $100 deductible. I think it will pay for itself the first time I have to use it, and its good for 6 years / 100,000 miles (has just under 40k now.)
While I'm not afraid to do minor things myself, I never was a "mechanic" - I stop at the bolt-off and bolt on parts. I also did some browsing before buying the car, and the parts cost is just hurtful - a shock absorber goes for about $1,000, a window regulator goes for $800-$900, and so on. Quite a bit pricier than parts for the X-type, but those are a bit pricier than parts for a Toyota.

I put 50,000 miles on the X-type over 6 years, and very little has gone wrong. One water pump ($450 at the dealer), one coolant expansion tank ($200), one set of brake pads, and one vacuum hose are all that come to mind.

Last edited by MeatBag; 04-02-2015 at 04:54 PM.