Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog Lights - should they work

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 11:00 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Fog Lights - should they work

Hi Guys

I'm after a little advice. I've had my x type for 2 years now and the fog lights have never worked. I'm a little unsure if they should work as standard or do I need to upgrade something?

Its a 2006 2.2D sport X type.

Main beam works fine.

I've read on an alternate web site that changing the relay has fixed a similar problem for another owner.

Can anybody help?

Old 10-03-2015, 12:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I have a 2004 3.0 gas. Do you have the headlight selector switch in auto mode? I found that the fogs will not come on if the selector is in that mode. Why I don't know as I think it is a weird way to control it. The headlight selector switch can be in manual mode for either the headlights or parking lights and when you pull out the selector (towards you) the fogs will come on. The first position just turns on the front fogs. The second position turns on rear fogs. I hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
Hex Type (10-04-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

You can check fuse 87 in the interior fuse box. It is for the front fog lights. You should also check the connector for the lights. It is inside the left fender and is accessible by removing the wheel arch liner. While you are there you can remove and check the bulb for the left side.

Hex Type (10-04-2015)
Old 10-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Hex Type, I would first start with checking to see if there are even good bulbs in there. Bad bulbs would be the most likely thing. After that, the fuse is a good second. I would also try to turn on your main beams (high beams here in the US). If those turn on, then we know the relay is good and there is power to the relay. If the main beams come on, the bulbs are good, then you have either a bad fuse or the wiring between the fuse and the bulb bases is bad.

If you need more info, let me know. I can send you an electrical diagram and other info to help.

Hex Type (10-04-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 05:43 AM

Thanks guys,

Jzanone - I don't think my model has Auto mode option, if it does I'm not aware of it. How do I check?

Avern1 - Great info thanks given me a good idea of where to look for the connectors if fault finding etc.

Thermo - Thanks Ill start at the farthest end and work back, wiring diagrams will be much appreciated if needed. The high / main beam works fine, but it does look like somebody has changed the light switch at some point as the facia attached to the switch is damaged and there was electrical tape in the engine bay when I originally bought the car.

Important its a UK car I'm in Manchester UK.

I think the first thing I need to establish is should the fog lights work as standard I've got a basic version of the car with little toys on, so not sure if they should even work.

Then dependent on the answer, I ether need to discover what mods the dealer would do to get them working and follow that route.
or
Fault find the original route of the wiring, bulbs etc.

Are you guys saying the fog lights should work as standard on all versions of the car?

Old 10-04-2015, 07:53 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Hex Type, to the best of my knowledge, fog lights on this car were not optional. Granted, a quick check will tell you whether they came on the car or not. Simply get down by the fog light and see if there is a plug that is plugged into the fog light. The plug should be taped to a wiring bundle with a single bundle of wires running to your passenger side of the bumper cover. There is a plug in that area that allows you to remove the bumper cover and keep all the wiring attached to the bumper cover to make removal easier. If the wires are just hanging free or are loosely attached, then this would tell me that either the car didn't come with fog lights and someone attempted to add them and couldn't figure out what was missing or that the fog lights were part of the car but failed at some point and someone attempted to fix them but failed and gave up.

If you are wanting the diagrams, PM me your e-mail address and I will send you a copy of the diagrams for your car.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:38 AM

Thanks Thermo Ill start with the bulbs then work my way back hang fire on the wiring diagrams for the moment, but ill be in touch if needed. Speak soon