Sponsored by:

Sons X type 2.0d Sport premium + Mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts
Smile Great Idea! :)

Originally Posted by 04xtype04
That would be cool to wire the word "Jaguar" up in red to the brake lights...... How'd you go about drilling out the letters? With a dremel? Sounds like a big project but will give it a cool unique look.
Gosh, I'd probably spell it wrong or er upside down!

Doh! Great post here, thank you

Old 04-21-2014, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Thanks Rich, yes a real OUCH for sure and he's gutted, but life goes on....

You know how these things work....

The insurance give a low valuation on the car and although the damage doesn't look too bad, by the time they add it all up, include parts/labour then add vat, it all amounts to more than the 85% value of the car they're willing to go before writing it off.

Fingers crossed..

Old 04-21-2014, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs down Ouch after all the HARD WORK, GEE, SORRY TO HEAR :(

Originally Posted by JimC64
Well, unfortunately it will all be put on hold for now..

He's had a bump today on a hilly, windy narrow road and the car's a mess...........slight damage to front bumpler, front drivers wing, door mirror, drivers door, rear drivers side door, wheel arch and rear bumper, alloy and n/s/f alloy too.

A real mess and with the insurers.......

Not a good day!
If you have any issues with insurance, feel free to pm me, sad!

regards, Stu

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (04-21-2014)
Old 04-22-2014, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member

Jim,

Remeber it's Jag and an aluminium chassis, they are quick to write them off and few companies insist on a chassis inspection just just strike it off.

And because I had a bad day a while ago, thanks to my insurance company, I know better now.

Hang tough, you are intrepid and only settle on THE BEST DEAL FOR YOU!!

Sorry again, Stu

Old 05-15-2014, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

Well got the call today, the Jag is repaired and all ready good to go....allegedly.

The car was in getting repaired by Arnold Clark ( a Non Jaguar dealer )

I did advise about the cons about using their "recommended garages" as against insisting to use Jaguar......well it slipped through the net and was in AC's care.

I advised Peter that although we were going to look at, supposedly collect the car, not to get his hopes up as in all likelihood there would be issues that would need fine tuned, or done again.

When we got there the car was parked outside, fairly clean in direct sunlight and the car park was more or less empty......an ideal opportunity to give it the once over..

Needless to say we found plenty of faults....

1. rear alloy issue
2. polish residue in the roof runners
3. drivers door, faint remnants of dings etc
4. drivers seat ( 2 score lines turned out to be pen )
5. windscreen plastic rain insert not fitted well
6. shut lines of bonnet against new wing slightly off
7. Cheapo Infinity tyre replaced the as new Barum bought about 2 months earlier
8. headlights, masking tape remnants in the recesses needs removed.
9. Bonnet had scratches that were'nt there when it went in
10. more polish residue around lower grille insert, needs cleaned.
11. Front passengers side alloy, slight damage, needs repaired to match
12. Front passenger side tyre ( new Barum ) has slight sidewall damage
13. etc
14. etc
15. etc

Suffice to say that the bodyshop supervisor had his eyes opened today....lol
The car will also be getting a repaint on the bootlid ( £180 at Peters cost ) to fully cover the S.M.A.R.T repair existing.

To be fair the supervisor was top class, no hints of any quibbles whatsoever.......I think I managed to get my point across and negate any haggling or denials before they even started...lol

The upshot is probably another week or so, but the car should be very well finished at that time.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

Well, Peter called today to be told, it will be the end of next week before his car is ready!!!!

Bearing in mind, it was "ready" for collection early last week, all good to go.......its taken them another 2 weeks to fix the few issues we found.

Outstanding...

Old 06-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member

Update......

The cars been collected late last week, and to be fair, they've did a really good job in the end, after, all the issues were pointed out, they knew they weren't going to get away with anything.
The bonnet has been repainted covering the smart repair and looks great.

The really good news is that we agreed £180 to repaint the bootlid which was also suffering from a smart repair....It ended up being totally FREE due to the amount of hassle we had so all ended up really good.

Fast forward to today and I had to give him a lift to work as the car wouldn't start...battery issue.
To be fair he suffered this a few months ago but thinks he may have left an interior light on that caused this. He's adamant that he didn't this time but the battery was as flat as a pancake.

I checked and its the original at nearly 8 years old, so he just replaced it immediately for a new one, job done.
As its recently been mot'd and also taxed today it should be all good for at least another year barring anything unforeseen.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member

Well its time to get a few bits n pieces done to the X type.....

It now needs brake pads and discs all round and a service to bring it up to date.

Pagid brake pads and discs bought from Eurocarparts for £144 plus air filter and fuel filter making the total £158.00

That total meant Peter got 3 x 5 litres of Quantum windscreen wash free.....all good!

Taking it to my friends at National tomorrow and they'll be doing an engine oil and filter change too, so by the end of the day she should be in great shape and probably washed n cleaned too.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Spent some time with Peter today on his X type, getting ready for the meet Sun 7th June

Wheels off and hubs repainted stock silver and calipers painted Ferarri gloss red, really nice. The wheels were cleaned thoroughly inside n out before being replaced with new red centre caps added.

It was then washed n cleaned throughout and the engine bay quick detailed with the leaper ( painted red to match the red JAGUAR ) installed above.
Red cetre caps also added above shock towers to finish, looks good

Maybe Peter will drop by and add some pics, really freshened her up nicely

Old 10-09-2015, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Well, can't remember if I said, although I think not??

Peter's X type after being washed n cleaned several weeks ago, we found some "slight" and I do mean slight bubbling of the paintwork on the bonnet, doors and rear arch area that were painted some months ago, after his accident.
We called the repair company and it was going to be getting booked in to totally redo all the panels again.

In the meantime, a female driver reversed into his front bumper a few weeks ago causing minor damage. This consisted of a scrape across the passenger side headlight, minor scratches to the bumper, bonnet and leading edge of the wing.
She was going to drive off, but a neighbour saw her and alerted Peter as it was unattended at the time.

It's been with the repairers for around a week and just got her back today, looking sharp too.
Now going in to the original bodyshop next week or so to get the other panels redone to acceptable standard.

I believe he's going to ask them to machine polish the roof, boot and passenger door panels for swirl removal for an all lover " as new" look at the same time and pay the difference.
Other than that still looking a million $$$ and running like a dream with no issues

Old 10-11-2015, 05:52 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Me leaving the services near Stirling heading for the distillery in Crief. That was a great day out.

All good stuff Jim. I saw the car at the Famous Grouse meet and thought it looked good then.

Last edited by rapala; 10-11-2015 at 06:13 AM.
JimC64 (10-11-2015)
Old 10-11-2015, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rapala

Me leaving the services near Stirling heading for the distillery in Crief. That was a great day out.

All good stuff Jim. I saw the car at the Famous Grouse meet and thought it looked good then.

Thanks, what a great day out at Crieff, superb day it turned out to be. Your car looks great too, just a sister car to Peters but in Green, even on the same year!

rapala (10-11-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 08:30 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

jim, how did that bootlid plinth project work out? Any pictures of the finished product? And did you ever install those Jag logo puddle lights in the car? I just wondered how the install went on an X-Type. Thanks

Old 10-15-2015, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Tarheel, no updates I'm afraid.

The bootlid plinth has had the JAGUAR lettering carved out and been painted body colour, all ready good to go on the vehicle. Peter has in the meantime decided to leave that as is, but it's still there ready to go if / when he's ready.
The Jaguar logo puddle lights have not happened, for now, that may change.....lol

The paintwork from the accident damage has been fixed to a good standard and all is well. It's going in again in around a weeks time for the previous repair to be redone, possibly to have the rest of the car machine polished too!

In the meantime, he's cleaned the whole interior, special attention to the leather and door cards and produced some great results.
I believe new carpet mats may be on the way soon, new wheel centre caps and is considering what, if anything is left to do....lol

I said to him that he really needs to get some up to date pics of where she sits and post them up, so that'll follow soon
Thanks
Jim

Old 10-16-2015, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member

A few more recent ones, not the best but give an idea
Should be more to follow soon as and when she's had the next load of paintwork done, new wheel centre caps and detailed......
A little light work on the interior, It was actually pretty clean, or at least we thought it was until we done a 50/50 shot

Name:  IMG_4235_zpslcolynso.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  114.7 KB
Name:  IMG_4255_zpsx6xqueq1.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  160.1 KB
Name:  IMG_4273_zpspv7jz3ld.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  114.5 KB
Name:  IMG_4275_zpsubr6iakj.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  168.6 KB
Name:  IMG_4276_zpsfp1arhma.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  177.6 KB
Name:  IMG_4401_zps7ljucivj.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  213.8 KB
Name:  IMG_4402_zpsxdlefu0o.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  170.8 KB
Name:  IMG_4406_zpswmrawrsl.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  153.8 KB
Name:  IMG_4407_zpsx9oleo3u.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  108.2 KB

Old 10-26-2015, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

New RED centre caps arrived today, along with new car mats, new front reg plate too
She's going in tonight / tomorrow morning for remedial work on front drivers seat ( re dye ) and a touch up of a small area on the front passenger seat

Now thinking more n more about the rear bootlid plinth we bough, drilled and spray painted black to go with the white LEDS, maybe happen soon, along with possible JAGUAR led door puddle light mod

Running out of things to do to this one, she's a real black beauty, decent pics to follow

Old 10-26-2015, 09:58 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Lovely car. I've been wondering what my tan interior would look like with black carpet instead of tan, now I'm convinced that when I go to replace it some day it will be black. Looks great.

JimC64 (10-27-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

Well, Peter has his car back from Prestige Leather and they've renovated the drivers seat and touched up his passenger seat..........really big difference, like night n day and he's well chuffed.

No pics of course....lol