Sponsored by:

Going to try this for my oil pan leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Going to try this for my oil pan leak

Gents;

I have one of the most dreaded X type failures.....well, one of many, I guess: oil pan leak. Never had it in my 04 X. I hate cars leaking fluids. Ironically, my 95 XJS convertible and 74 E type convertible don’t leak at all. Oh well....

Anyway, I don’t think I am going to be fixing the leak anytime soon as it entails either drilling holes or removing the transfer case; but I did find this product with a couple of review videos on YouTube. Seems like it may work:

I am going to be using it at my upcoming oil change. If it works I will continue reapplying every oil change until the car is properly repaired. Has anyone else tried this around here?

Old 08-05-2019, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Hhhhhmmmmmm......never seen that stuff. If it seals the leak, COOL. What could it hurt? Not like the freaking pan is supposed to be removed anyways. Might be a great option for others if it works and stays put.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:59 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I've got the same leak, which wouldn't big me too much except it drips a bit on the exhaust so there is a slight oil smell in the car at times. I was contemplating what to do about it too, and was even considering making a small drip shield over the exhaust. I've never seen this product, it looks interesting. I've had SOME luck applying RTV externally to stop or at least slow leaks. The key was always to get the areas as absolutely clean and oil free as possible, and it would only work well in situations where the area would stay oil free long enough for the product to set. I'd bet the key to this product working is also a clean, oil free surface. Let us know how it goes. As Dell said it can't hurt, and it would be a great fix if it worked

Old 08-05-2019, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XtypeHI
I've got the same leak, which wouldn't big me too much except it drips a bit on the exhaust so there is a slight oil smell in the car at times. I was contemplating what to do about it too, and was even considering making a small drip shield over the exhaust. I've never seen this product, it looks interesting. I've had SOME luck applying RTV externally to stop or at least slow leaks. The key was always to get the areas as absolutely clean and oil free as possible, and it would only work well in situations where the area would stay oil free long enough for the product to set. I'd bet the key to this product working is also a clean, oil free surface. Let us know how it goes. As Dell said it can't hurt, and it would be a great fix if it worked
Fingers crossed it works. Even if it needs to be reapplies at oil changes, it’s a solution to constant dripping. When the oil is changed and the car is in a lift, I will clean as best I can, and spray this on. I think the trick is to layer it and let the previous layer cure for a bit

Old 08-09-2019, 01:21 PM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

Curious. Any update on this?

Old 08-10-2019, 01:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by max224
Curious. Any update on this?
Not yet. It’s getting applied at the next, quickly upcoming oil change

Old 08-10-2019, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

What are you going to use to clean it? Obviously a regular engine degreaser would leave a residue that may affect the product adhesion? Maybe degreaser then alcohol?

Old 08-11-2019, 06:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default At-205 re-seal

anyone tried this?

i watched some videos on youtube, most people say it works.
watch this

Old 08-11-2019, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

It is really a good product most of the time. My car had not one drop of fluid leaking before I did my first fluid changes (threads on all of them available w/pics). Since then I have one coming from way up high on the right side of the car (can't see where) that drops about a silver dollars size of fluid (oil?) after driving.

Having used AT205 in the past, I put it in all the fluid places. Still leaks. Tried lucas stop leak in oil, still leaks. =:~(

Old 09-03-2019, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member

I still haven’t tried the product originally posted. I got an oil change and really did not have time to do the necessary cleaning to put this on. I was rushing before taking a trip. Now that I am back I will take the time to do this properly

Old 09-08-2019, 05:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Never do the things I say

I suppose I have the oil pan leak you refer to, at least it drips on the exhaust like you mention. On mine, if I turn to the left, I smell hot oil almost immediately. From underneath, it's impossible to tell where it comes from. Here is my solution, I do not recommend this, I fill the oil only till it touches the add mark on the dip stick, no more. This method greatly reduces the symptoms of stinky left turns. Keep an eye on your oil level with diligence, especially if you notice you haven't smelled oil burning in a while.