X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it time to junk my X-type? Looking for opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it time to junk my X-type? Looking for opinions.

I don't have the time or means currently to repair the problems on my car and unfortunately I think it is more expensive to have someone else repair than it is worth. My 2004 Jaguar X-Type (mostly fully loaded 3.0 sport edition) has about 150,000 mi (240,000km) on it and as of today it is no longer driveable. KBB won't give me a value if it is not drivable currently, but they put a poor condition at about $500 trade-in and $2000 private party. The main issues are:

- transfer case destroyed - needs to be replaced, makes a terrible squealing and grinding noise and car shudders but still moves forward/reverse currently
- both rear abs/speed/reluctor rings gone, causing check engine, abs light, and caution light
- short in the module for memory seat settings on drivers side causes seat to go all the way forward if you press them - only solution I know if is to disconnect the battery
- rear sway bar links broken

On the plus side the exterior is in pretty good condition I think. The car went through a collision with a deer back 5 years ago and got new HID headlights, front grill, radiator, A/C condenser, oil cooler, and bumper.

For the above problems I have been quoted over $4000 by local mechanics. At this point is it worth fixing or selling to a junkyard? I could get a new used car that cost me less over the course of a year or two.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You might consider parting it out and then selling the carciss to a junk yard..

Old 09-05-2019, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Contact member Dr Dome, he parts out Jags. He may be interested.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:59 AM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Perhaps you can find a used transfer case from a wrecked car. The smaller stuff you might have to do yourself to not pay an arm/leg. Don't know your mechanical ability.

You also have to figure in things like sales tax, depreciation, and interest on a new(er) car. You might find that putting a few grand into the X might be more cost effective if you're confident you can get another two years out of it.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was to part out the car, what are the most valuable parts? For example, I know that when I had the headlights replaced 5 years ago they cost $1600 each (insurance took care of it). It seems that I would be lucky to get $100 each on ebay these days for them.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
Old 09-06-2019, 05:05 AM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Few things are more cringe worthy than seeeing a great condition car being taken apart. Senseless waste is the American way after all. An X-Type like that is an unattainable dream car in many parts of the world.

As for OP, do you have the storage place to keep all the parts? Are you willing to keep advertising, meeting with buyers, and shipping until they're all sold? If they don't all sell you will have to dispose of them and you will make $0.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:53 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Reading this made me feel a whole lot better about my X. I was faced with a similar problem a few months ago and although the issues were no where near as extensive as yours I have so far spend around £1k + on it, but had to do the work myself to keep the costs down. I'm hoping to get another few years out of her, until electronic motors pave the future or my driving license expires, currently 6 years if I dont renew it... I would suggest considering if you are like me and enjoy making broken things work consider the costs to replace the parts, if you do it and if you put it in a workshop. What would be your next car, a big problem for me was id have to get a new car on a PCP or finance and that would put me into the realms of fiestas and corsa's etc a bit of a come down as I cant bring myself to pay a higher monthly premium for a car than a mortgage, I also struggle when I'm driving my daughters new corsa.!!

A major plus though is the parts over here are still very easily accessible and very cost effective, Im currently working on the rear callipers, again,,, today before winter sets in. but so far had 3 neighbours wanting to help / get involved.. I suppose finally the environmental impact is far greater by building a new car than it is to repair an old one from existing parts, so you could feel you are doing your bit for the planet by repairing.. (not looking to open a debate on global warming here). lol

Ether way I look at this as its got to have been one of the oldest cars I've owned in my life (bought it and had it a good 7+ years now), but I just love it, its a Jag at the end of the day, and it still turns heads

Which ever way you decide to go, I just wish you good luck.