X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Temp gauge in the red - Solved

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking Temp gauge in the red - Solved

guys, lately i have noticed that whenever am driving my temperature gauge rises to the red but the car doesnt overheat. i had the thermostat cleaned cos it had carbon deposits around it but it didnt solve the problem either, what could be causing this? any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Last edited by steveinfrance; 12-29-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Could be that your coolant temp sensor is failing and that is causing the computer to think that the car is running too hot. Granted, could also be a problem with the wire going to that sensor too. I would confirm the temp using an IR thermometer on say the top of the radiator or something of the like. The temp there should be around 200F when at idle. If you are getting up around 220F, then you have an actual over heating issue.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks thermo, the thing is as soon as the temp gauge rises and i notice and put the ignition off and restart the car immediately the gauge goes back to read normal and it it will happen after about 15mins drive, so am tempted to agree with you on the faulty temp sensor. anyway i will try and get a replacement.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi do we know if the temperature sensor was the problem for this issue?? My 2001 3.0L AWD X-type has started doing the same thing on longer runs. I will be driving along at 70MPH or so and then It will display "CRUISE NOT AVAILABLE" and i can't get past on my message centre and i can't accelerate past 70mph then about 20 seconds or so later the temp guage rockets up to max and the dash lights up telling me "ENGINE TEMP TOO HIGH".

SO obviously i immediately pulled over the first time this happened and switched the engine off expecting so be calling out the Auto mobile rescue guys but i switched the ignition on a minute later (not starting the engine just turning the ignition to position 2) and the temp gauge showed normal all systems ok! So i pop the bonnet and check the water level, all ok and slowly (with hands covered) release the expansion tank cap, only a normal amount of pressure release and the water is not boiling. Restart the engine all ok so i carry on only for it to happen 5 miles down the road, so i stopped the car again and switched the ignition off and on all reset all ok. It has done this a few times to me now and seems to be getting regular. So is it the temperature sensor? If so I'll be off to get one straight away. Seems strange though the car puts itself in safe mode nearly half a minute before anything happens with the temperature guage though and the car itself is not actually overheating.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Couple of ideas, if it is running hot while driving it could be a clogged radiator. At idle the water flow may be good enough to cool but under a load it may not be moving the water fast enough. Have you checked to see if the Cat is blocked or restricted? Look under the car after you have been driving and if the catalytic converter is glowing red you have a problem there. Best to look at night.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:41 AM

Hi thanks for the reply, I don't think it is a clogged radiator as the system resets itself almost immediately if i just switch the engine off and on. It happened again last night i was able to just quickly switch the engine off and on again while still on the move literally just turn the key to stop the engine and then start it again in neutral in less than 5 seconds and all was well for the rest of the journey.

But it has been getting more frequent so i think it is a faulty sensor but i am just guessing. I will check out the cat tonight as i am going on a trip then.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did replacing the sensor work? or was it the temermostat? I am having the same problem and wanted to know if the sensor was the main cause even though I will replace both, the sensor I can replace now and the rest of the work on the weekend
Barry

Old 12-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Carbon deposits on a thermostat?
If your mechanic told you this, you might want to consider finding a better qualified one.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:34 AM

Well after doing some more searching on here and some minor maintenance i can confirm that it is the thermostat that is the problem here. The problem i had was getting worse ie a lot more frequent and i knew the car wasn't actually overheating dramatically. So i replaced the Temperature sensor and still got the problem, so i done a complete flush of the coolant system engine and radiator and while i was doing this i had read about the thermostat being the problem so decided to check it while i had the cooling system in bits.

It was quite easy to get to and remove, and it did not seem to be clogged but on inspecting it, it fell apart!! the plastic lugs holding the actual thermostat in place failed it had several small cracks in it and these had led to the thermostat not being held correctly and gave it some free play therefore not opening properly. When i checked it's movement it decided it had had enough and one side of the lugs failed. Luckily as it was an all in one piece unit and i was able to remove the thermostat and replace the housing with out it. So i drove the Jag without a thermostat for about a week as my local Jaguar dealer could not get it quicker than this as there are only 2 suppliers for this part.

While driving the Jag for the week it ran extremely cool even on the dual carraigeways at speed but the problem did not go away even though the car was running cooler than ever, the problem still persisted.

So one week later got the new thermostat and popped it in and refilled the system with some lovely new coolant and deionised water. Since then the problem has never come back and the car runs great i have noticed the interior heater is also hotter than before so alsl well that ends well.

But the long story short it is the thermostat that is the issue here!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Nemisis:
Geoff Collins (05-20-2023), steveinfrance (12-29-2012)
Old 12-29-2012, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, always helps others.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same problem I had

I was on a trip to KC and my Jag started this exact thing. Dealer replaced the sensor worked fine for about a hundred miles then started up again. Had a shop in KC replace the thermostat and no problems since. My advice to anyone who has this issue, replace the thermostat first.

The following users liked this post:
Geoff Collins (05-20-2023)
Old 09-15-2019, 09:21 AM
Default 04 jaguar I unplug cooling temp sensor engine don't over heat, plug it in it run hot

I have a jaguar s type. Engine runs tempature when cooling temp is plugged in but I unplug the cooling temp sensor engine don't over heat this just happened I need help

Old 09-15-2019, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Wrong forum

Old 03-31-2023, 05:30 AM
Default Temp Gauge Falsely showing hot

My 3L X-Type after driving about 20 to 30 miles, the engine management light comes on then after about 30 seconds the temp gauge rises to hot within about 10 seconds and I have to pull in.

After about a minute, I restart the car and the temperature is back to normal but the engine management light stays on.

After a few miles the same thing happens again.

I've replaced the temp switch but the same thing happens.

Old 03-31-2023, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Stop doing that. Read the codes.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:40 AM

The garage has read the codes, but they were of no help : P0116 ($0011) & P0111 ($0011pd)

Last edited by Geoff Collins; 04-05-2023 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-05-2023, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Why would the P0116 NOT be of help? It's a code for =
  • Faulty Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor
  • Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor harness is open or shorted
  • Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor circuit poor electrical connection

The following 2 users liked this post by Dell Gailey:
h2o2steam (04-05-2023), Yorta2 (04-05-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 10:05 AM

We changed the sensor for a new genuine Jag sensor and no difference.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

And thus the other reasons for code need to be ruled out = wiring, etc.

Old 04-07-2023, 11:49 AM

Surely if there was a fault in the wiring it would permanently put the temp gauge in the red? It only happens after about 20 to 50 miles or so, then switching the engine off and back on again clears the fault? And if the fault is cleared, how would you test for a fault in the wiring?
Thanks for your help, I'll let you know how we get on with the problem.

Quick Reply: Temp gauge in the red - Solved