X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just ordered

Old 03-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I just ordered

Borla Exhaust for my 05 Sport. I'll be anxious to get that and have it installed. Bought it through Mina. It was a couple hundred dollars cheaper than if I had a local shop order it from their vendor.

Anybody have pics of the borla set-up on their cars? I'm anxious to see how the tips look.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is Mina? I would like to do the same with my X Sport

Old 03-02-2009, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Threwth
Where is Mina? I would like to do the same with my X Sport
mina gallery
It's a website people on here recommended. Hopefully shipping doesn't take too long, it was only $12 for shipping.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet....make sure you take some really good before and after videos. Do some fly-bys and what not so everyone can see what it sounds like. I can't say I've found any videos of the x-type with an exhaust that are any good.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want sound bites and videos, there r a bunch on YouTube.com
I find it to be a little lound for such a car. If i wanted it to sound like that i would have bough a Honda.... just lacks any sorta bite, sounds like a riding lawn mower on steroids

Old 03-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From my recollection buckmr2 on here is the only one to take bids of a different exhaust...not to mentio I can't say I've found an exhaust video that sounds like it really does.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome! Coincidentally, I was just thinking about this yesterday for my own 2005 X-Type 3.0. Please keep us posted with your install...better yet, write up an FAQ with photos so we can all benefit from your installation experience!

Does anyone know why Borla's product pages only list "2002" in terms of model applications? I'm surprised they don't say "2002-2008" - it was the only thing making me hesitate in ordering the exhaust system for my car. I'd be surprised if the exhaust system is unique to the 2002 model year, but so many parts had changed between 2002 and 2004 that you never know...

BTW, Mina Gallery is a prominent seller on Ebay, and recently merged with JagXP, who some of you may have heard of. I ordered clear sidemarkers and a mesh grille from them over Christmas - the mesh grille is superb quality (thick, preshaped chrome plated mesh with a nice diamond pattern). It's hands down nicer than the stock mesh grille that came with the 2006+ models. The only problem I had was that i had to dremel portions away from the edges to get a perfect fit - it was a tedious task, but the end results look fantastic.

Mina Gallery's price on the Borla exhaust is the best I've seen anywhere: http://www.jaguarxp.com/jagxp/Jaguar...stem%20XJ8.htm

Good luck with your install! Please keep us posted.

Last edited by MattSteele; 03-02-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by MattSteele
Awesome! Coincidentally, I was just thinking about this yesterday for my own 2005 X-Type 3.0. Please keep us posted with your install...better yet, write up an FAQ with photos so we can all benefit from your installation experience!

Does anyone know why Borla's product pages only list "2002" in terms of model applications? I'm surprised they don't say "2002-2008" - it was the only thing making me hesitate in ordering the exhaust system for my car. I'd be surprised if the exhaust system is unique to the 2002 model year, but so many parts had changed between 2002 and 2004 that you never know...

BTW, Mina Gallery is a prominent seller on Ebay, and recently merged with JagXP, who some of you may have heard of. I ordered clear sidemarkers and a mesh grille from them over Christmas - the mesh grille is superb quality (thick, preshaped chrome plated mesh with a nice diamond pattern). It's hands down nicer than the stock mesh grille that came with the 2006+ models. The only problem I had was that i had to dremel portions away from the edges to get a perfect fit - it was a tedious task, but the end results look fantastic.

Mina Gallery's price on the Borla exhaust is the best I've seen anywhere: http://www.jaguarxp.com/jagxp/Jaguar...stem%20XJ8.htm

Good luck with your install! Please keep us posted.

I'm not doing the install myself, it was just cheaper for me to order it. I'll take it to a local shop to have it installed. I'm not that mechanical with that kind of stuff. I think it'll look great though.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:58 PM

Well, at least take some nice pictures and let us know how it sounds!

It seems like it should be a really easy install - Just unbolt the old muffler, and bolt-on the new one. The only question I have is whether there are any issues installing it on an X-Type that's newer than 2002.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:32 AM

Well, at least take some nice pictures and let us know how it sounds!

It seems like it should be a really easy install - Just unbolt the old muffler, and bolt-on the new one. The only question I have is whether there are any issues installing it on an X-Type that's newer than 2002.
I'll definitely get some nice pics of it after the install. Hopefully will get it done next week.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I put them on my 2005 Sport. Love they way they sound and look. I didn't put them on myself, but my Italian mechanics did it for less than $100. Would have pictures on here, but with winters in Wisconsin it's next to impossible to catch the car clean without salt on it.
I don't think it sounds loud or lacks "bite". Just a little deeper rumble from stock and I think it fits the personality of the car just right, but that is so subjective, so to each his own. I also bought mine from Mina/JagXP. Transaction was a little strange, but I got them.
As for only showing the Borlas for a 2002, I know what you mean. I have seen the same thing for other parts as well. For example, I was looking for some EBC Reds for the rear of my car and they did not come up for 2005, but did for 2004. I am guessing that sometimes the only year that shows up is the year the particular product comes out in the market. Whatever the reason, it is frustrating. However, the Borlas WILL fit fine. ENJOY!!!!!

Old 03-13-2009, 11:19 AM

So Mina Gallery was having trouble with their vendor for the Borla system. So I ended up saving some cash and bought some super night stainless steel tips that a shop welded on to the muffler. They look great, to a jag owner look custom and was a lot cheaper to do that then the Borla system.

Mina Gallery said they will have their own custom exhaust for the x-type ready if a few weeks. So FYI for those of you wanting to do Borla. Mina's might end up being better.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Pictures? How hard was it to do the tips? Did they have much trouble getting the old off and did they have sufficient left to do an out of view weld?

I take it you weren't really looking at a potential performance gain just a different look and thus went with tips anyways, rather than exhaust?

Old 03-13-2009, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by mohrd
Pictures? How hard was it to do the tips? Did they have much trouble getting the old off and did they have sufficient left to do an out of view weld?

I take it you weren't really looking at a potential performance gain just a different look and thus went with tips anyways, rather than exhaust?
Yeah, I wasn't looking for the HP gain ... just wanted something that looked better than stock. I'll get some pics after I get her shined up for the spring.

I think it was a tough enough job for the tech to do. I'll look under at lunch to see if I can tell whether they added and inlet pipe for the tip or not.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those that have the Borla a few questions.

Does the kit include more than just the mufflers ? I realize they are less restrictive, but to get true HP gains tubing diameter and cat flow must also be considered right ?

Last edited by davismj711; 03-13-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:43 PM

davis, you can see a photo of the Borla exhaust here: http://www.jaguarxp.com/jagxp/Jaguar...stem%20XJ8.htm. It includes the mufflers, tips and pipes (essentially what's called a catback exhaust system).

jjones, I'm looking forward to seeing how the shop welded your tips on. I was originally considering this route with bolt-on tips, but when I got my car, I realized that the pipe that comes out of each muffler isn't straight - it dips down and then out, making it difficult or impossible to use a standard bolt-on exhaust tip.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:02 PM

davis, you can see a photo of the Borla exhaust here: http://www.jaguarxp.com/jagxp/Jaguar...stem%20XJ8.htm. It includes the mufflers, tips and pipes (essentially what's called a catback exhaust system).

jjones, I'm looking forward to seeing how the shop welded your tips on. I was originally considering this route with bolt-on tips, but when I got my car, I realized that the pipe that comes out of each muffler isn't straight - it dips down and then out, making it difficult or impossible to use a standard bolt-on exhaust tip.
That was my issue with trying to find a tip to bolt on. Plus the normal tip that is on there is sightly bigger than any aftermarket tip to fit over. I'll look this weekend but I would bet they cut it all off near the muffler and welded on a tube to weld the tip on to. They did say they added an extra hanger. Labor for it was $95. The tips were $27/each.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Borla tips and system REQUIRE welding. I have the system on, and it was reasonable to have the instillation done by a competent shop. Time and labor total was $90. You must, if you want to change the tips to the ocaals, weld them. All Borla tips require weldiong, and if you want to JUST change the tips on a stock system, it requires cutting off the old ones. Borla at the rear, and K&N at the front make a difference.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I assume that you also have an AFA. I have an '86 spyder in red

Old 03-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Boobea, if you are talking to me, yes, I DID have an Alfa. LOVED that car. It was a '91 164S. Great sounding (had an Ansa cat back), handling (even in snow) for a front wheel drive car, factory Recaros. Plus, the engine looked like an engine with all those polished intake runners. Finally traded it in at 160K miles. It needed a some engine work and the cost/benefit to keeping it was just not there. Unique and rare car and just had a different feel than other European cars. Very mechanical, like you could almost feel how every gear, nut and bolt worked together when driving. Sorry for getting off topic here, but the tears started welling up just thinking about it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I just ordered