X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case or Tranny Mounts? LIES! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transfer case or Tranny Mounts? LIES! HELP!

I own a 2005 3.0 AWD with 35k miles w/ factory warranty that was purchased in late October last year from a private dealer from Michigan and had it shipped to Orlando, FL. Also, I want to make it clear that I am close to dumb when it comes to what is wrong with a vehicle, that being said, here is my story.

I have been having this problem with my vehicle for the past 3 months now that makes this loud clunk noise every time I shift from Park to Reverse and even worse when I shift it from Drive to Reverse. Another problem that happens all the time that I think is linked to the first problem, is when I let go of the gas to let someone pass by per say and resume on the gas pedal I get this big clunk from under my car. It feels like if there is still torque being transferred and it just catches it wrong, but like I said, I don't know squat about cars.

Anyhow, being under warranty I take it to the dealership and explain to them my situation and right off the bat I was treated with disrespect and shocking measures. I was told by the head service department manager that just because I am under warranty doesn't mean his guys are going to work for free and they work under commission and all this crazy stuff a manager should never tell a customer. So a heated conversation went underhand and I had to exit the premises before it escalated to regrettable actions.

That being said, I went home and contacted the owner of the dealership and had him step in and adjust that guys attitude. After having to act like a lawyer, they finally agreed to inspect my vehicle and honor my warranty. I took it in and they told me that it was my transmission mounts were cracked from an accident the vehicle was in. I had car faxed the vehicle before purchase and it was in fact involved in "minor accident" on the right bumper but was serviced at a local dealership in New Jersey, by the original owner.

So the dealership told me since the car was involved in an accident that I would have to pay for the repairs. I found it BS and more personal vendetta and another argument was brewed and I ended up leaving without having anything fixed. So the following week I took it to Jaguar of Tampa, about an hour and 45 minutes from my house, I dropped it off and picked it up the next day with the news that my transmission mounts are perfectly fine and that my EMS just needed to be reset. Cool, well when I got into the car and checked it out, THE PROBLEM WAS STILL THERE!

So I get out of the car and confront the service rep and asked him why I still had the issue, I was answered with that X-Type's are made crappy, naturally make a lot of noise and the car is basically a P.O.S. In shock and fed up with the BS, I got in my car and left. Recently, I have taken it to a mechanic shop that specializes and only works on Jaguars about 45 minutes from my house. They inspected my vehicle and put it on the lift for me and let me see what they were doing and they pin pointed the problem to the transfer case, and that the transmission mounts were fine.

Now, keep in mind the first dealership told me my transmission mounts were cracked due to the accident so it is not warrantied, the second dealership told me that the tranny mounts are fine and that the ECM needed to be reset and that X-Types are crappy cars, and now I have a third opinion telling me my mounts are fine and its the transfer case.

Fed up with all the BS, I have contacted 1-800-4-JAGUARS and opened up a case. I am now awaiting to be contacted. They told me 1-2 business days so by Friday they will be hearing from me again.

Any advice please? My warranty expires in June and I am running out of options!

From the description of my problem, does that sound more like a tranny mount or a transfer case?

I also have a problem with my RPM gauges. When I press the gas and it goes up to 2,000 rpm it makes this gurgling noise as it rises and drops back down. Oh, and you wont believe this, Jaguar of Tampa says its normal for the X-Type to make a bunch of weird noises and there is nothing to worry about! But I have been reading on this forum about other people with similar problems relating to a water pump?

Sorry for long story but I am in need of help!

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

that sounds like without looking at it personnally it could be a few things. Like Trans, transfere case, propshaft, differential etc But if you can run the car on a lift and do it that sure would make it easier to isolate, then it could be listened to with a stethoscope. But if it only does it on the road they need to use a set of chassis ears they can hook up to different points and listen for were the noise clunks the loudest. But i would start on the lift and moving the different drivetrain pieces and see if any have excessive play. And they cannot deny warranty because they feel a accident may be the cause unless they can prove it. And the fact that an authorised repair facilty Ie dealer did the repair then that is even better. That being said, I hate working after any body has done repairs since the quality depends more on the individual than the shop, same for dealers, mechanics and independants...remember that the factory has no idea if a car has been wrecked, modified etc..only the tech, advisor, or anyothers at the dealer level that knows of your situation, from your side of the story, Im ashamed of the representation of dealership professionalism...keep us posted

Old 03-11-2009, 11:45 PM

Thank you for a quick reply, Brutal.

When I took it to the mechanic that specializes in Jaguars, they put it on the lift for me while a mechanic was inside my vehicle shifting gears. The other mechanic and myself were under the vehicle and he was showing me how the drive train was giving excessive play and linked it to the transfer case. He showed me how the back ones were shifting fine and the front ones were the ones that were clunking. I also had an oil leak from the front of the drive train as well as he pointed out.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 03-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

According to the Jaguar Technical Manual the "Rear" output shaft of the Transfer Case, the one that goes to the Drive Shaft, is supposed to be "Pre-loaded". At least on my 02 it is that way. Maybe the Transfer Case was serviced and not "pre-loaded". This would allow for the "play" between R and D and vice-versa.

Your 05 X-type will not have nearly as many problems as you find here on this site. The 02-03 x-type is the one that many of these posts are referring. It would appear that in 04 many of the bugs were worked out, that would be the 05 model. So breathe a little easier and enjoy the ride.

You should take a few PRECAUTIONS in maintaining this vehicle. Oil changes at 3k miles is HIGHLY recommended. If you take to an oil change place, take your own oil and oil filter with you for the technician to use. DO NOT USE FRAM filter at all. WIX or Factory filter preferred.

DO NOT get crazy on ice and snow. If your wheels brake free and then grab this can cause torque related problems. Most of these issues were worked out by the time your vehicle rolled down the assembly line.

I guess the best advice I could give toward owning a Jag is that it becomes a relationship between you and the car. It desires respect and respect it will have one way or another. This thing is engineered for performance and like those old Hot Rod days you have to maintain and not neglect or it will turn on you and bite, bite hard.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Default From the source

Transfer Case, Front Transaxle and Axle Noise

Gear Howl and Whine
Howling or whining of the ring gear and drive pinion are due to an incorrect gear pattern, gear damage or incorrect bearing preload.

Bearing Whine
Bearing whine is a high-pitched sound similar to a whistle. It is usually caused by worn/damaged pinion bearings. Bearing noise occurs at all driving speeds. This distinguishes it from gear whine which is speed dependent.As noted, pinion bearings make a high-pitched, whistling noise, usually at all speeds. If however there is only one pinion bearing that is worn/damaged, the noise may vary in different driving phases.A wheel bearing noise can be mistaken for a pinion bearing noise.

Knock
Knock, which can occur on all driving phases, has several causes including damaged teeth or gearset. A gear tooth damaged on the drive side is a common cause of the knock.

Clunk
Clunk is a metallic noise heard when the automatic transaxle is engaged in REVERSE or DRIVE. The noise may also occur when the throttle is applied or released. Clunk is caused by backlash in the driveline or loose suspension components.

Bearing Rumble
Bearing rumble is usually caused by a worn/damaged wheel bearing. The lower pitch is because the wheel bearing turns at only about one-third of the driveshaft speed. Wheel bearing noise may also be high-pitched, similar to gear noise, but will be evident in all four driving modes.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:21 PM

I think I fall in the "Clunk" category.

I was actually contacted by 1-800-4-Jaguars today and they told me that they are awaiting word from the dealership in tampa. As for the dealership of Orlando, they are trying to blame my problem on the accident, which I was not even the owner at the time. They are going to get back to me tomorrow because she said she doesn't want to play this cat and mouse game with the dealerships and is going to contact the regional manager. So lets see what happens, Thanks for the replies guys.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even the gmc dealer could attribute the sound that my car made to a drive shaft.

Did all the things in your story really happen? I don't see how any professional or even someone that works for a company respond to things the way they did.

Hope things get sorted out.

How did you contact jaguar btw?

Old 03-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Wow! That's unbelievable. Hope it gets sorted out fast in your favor.

Just curious. You say you bought in from a private dealer in Michigan and had it shipped to Florida? Did you find it online and fly out to look at it and drive it before buying? Or was the transaction done across country?

Also, if a car makes a noise like what you described it's probably not a good idea to wait three months before you get it checked out. A minor squeak or rattle is one thing, but a noise from the drive train isn't something to ignore, especially in our cars.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Have had that noise before new tc fixed it .