X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case support bracket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 05:48 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Transfer case support bracket?

Oh boy, so I found the source of my transmission oil leak...somehow the four bolts holding the transfer case to the transmission are all missing or backed out. This has caused the remaining bolt to crack and put a hole in the transmission case. Plan is to replace the bolts and seal of the case with JB weld. Looking around, I see a reference to a transfer case support bracket that is presumably also missing (different than the dog bone motor mount type bracket). It seems to be C2S24716 (or C2S24716 on new cars) and part 13 on the below diagram. It looks like I can order a new one, but can anyone tell me where this bracket goes? It's not at all clear to me looking at the transfer case or the parts diagram. Thanks!

This isn't me, but is the exact same situation as in my case if anyone is curious:

Old 10-03-2019, 08:18 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

XtypeHI, I wish you luck in using JB Weld to keep things together. I have a feeling that you are going to just put a band aid on it and have leaks in the near future.

As for the missing bracket, that is just a lifting lug from the looks of things and doesn't do much in the way of actual support. Granted, I would do some looking around at the various wrecking yards on the island and see if you can slide under a car. That would be your best bet. Granted, this will also give you a chance to find a replacement transfer case should you need it.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

This shows where the bracket should be fitted. It helps in giving rigidity to the whole engine/transmission assembly.

Old 10-03-2019, 03:15 PM

@astromorg Thanks so much for digging up that diagram, it really helps. Looks like the bracket is still available from Jaguar, so I'll get one as I'll want all the rigidity I can get running one bolt short between the transmission and transfer case.

@Thermo I hear you on the JB Weld, I'm not too excited about any of this situation. Unfortunately it's the transmission that's cracked and I don't think it's possible to find a replacement manual transmission on the island, and I'm not sure I could find someone to weld cast aluminum either, so I'll give it a go with JB Weld. With everything back together tightly, and the small hole plugged, and with the crack above the fill line I'm thinking with a bit of luck it will be ok as a permanent fix.

I'll update you guys when I get the bolts in (turns out M12 120mm bolts aren't hardware store items) and we'll see how it goes.

Old 10-18-2023, 07:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Did it work ?

Originally Posted by XtypeHI
@astromorg Thanks so much for digging up that diagram, it really helps. Looks like the bracket is still available from Jaguar, so I'll get one as I'll want all the rigidity I can get running one bolt short between the transmission and transfer case.

@Thermo I hear you on the JB Weld, I'm not too excited about any of this situation. Unfortunately it's the transmission that's cracked and I don't think it's possible to find a replacement manual transmission on the island, and I'm not sure I could find someone to weld cast aluminum either, so I'll give it a go with JB Weld. With everything back together tightly, and the small hole plugged, and with the crack above the fill line I'm thinking with a bit of luck it will be ok as a permanent fix.

I'll update you guys when I get the bolts in (turns out M12 120mm bolts aren't hardware store items) and we'll see how it goes.

I know this post is several years old, just wanted to see how you made out with the JB weld?
I am in the same position now 3.0 x type, exact same scenario, there is a hole at the top and blowing fluid everywhere.
Also having trouble finding the bolts for the mounting to the transmission
I have a part number but that seems to have changed and I cannot locate the size or thread count of the bolts to remount the trans case to the transmission

I am thinking about using the blue magic quicksteel to patch the hole.
if anyone could supply the new part number or measurements of the mounting bolts and or where to find them it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Old 10-18-2023, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Phantum
I know this post is several years old, just wanted to see how you made out with the JB weld?
I am in the same position now 3.0 x type, exact same scenario, there is a hole at the top and blowing fluid everywhere.
Also having trouble finding the bolts for the mounting to the transmission
I have a part number but that seems to have changed and I cannot locate the size or thread count of the bolts to remount the trans case to the transmission

I am thinking about using the blue magic quicksteel to patch the hole.
if anyone could supply the new part number or measurements of the mounting bolts and or where to find them it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Sorry to hear I'm not the only one who went through this. I'm happy to report that the repair help up and the Jag is still on the road! I think I did end up using something like quick steel for the larger hole, and JB weld in the crack. It can't hurt to try anyway. I do still lose a little fluid and top up the transmission every few months, but I think the transfer case input or output seal is a little compromised from when ti was loose too. For the bolts, I can't remember where I got them. If Jaguar doesn't carry them any more your best bet might be to take an existing one to a Fastenal or Granger or similar and see what they have to match. It does look like I noted the size at M12 120mm, so that's hopefully a start. I'd try and get grade 8 or at least 5.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Phantum (10-20-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 11:58 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear that it held up, I'm on that same mission this weekend when parts arrive, Jaguar did not have the bolts or any info that they were willing to share on the size
I used the size you noted and found some online at Belmetric, they arrived today, will fit test tonight after work.

I appreciate your input and feedback and I am glad to hear that it held up so long
Inspiring stuff my man !!!

I'll be back in a few weeks to update the outcome.