X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Drain.Fill procedure FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Anthony,
Our cars do not have dip sticks for checking fluid levels, search around the X type forums and you'll find how to properly check the fluid level. Also, the ECM and TCU on our cars are different, I've made a video on where they are located,

Jim

Old 10-31-2013, 10:46 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Everything makes sense I'm just a little unclear, do you use a funnel and pour the new fluid into that pipe opening by the battery?

The following users liked this post:
UKnFor-dluv-expat (01-24-2014)
Old 10-31-2013, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes, you'll pretty much have to use a funnel for that.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:46 PM

So what would the best be without removing the level bolt? Drain and refill with 3.5 quarts each time? I am really worried and don't want to mess anything up. Does raising up one side of the car affect how much drains out or should it be drained when the car is level? Thank you.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:11 PM

Had trouble getting my funnel to the fill hole, but I found the easiest way to do it was disconnect the battery, lift it out and shift the battery tray out of the way. After that it was easy to access and fill. Then put the battery back in, connect it back up and you're good to go. Was thinking of removing the air filter box but removing the battery is the easier way to go probably. Unless you have some kind of hose funnel, that fill hole is hard to reach with out moving something out of the way.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is 3.5 or 4 or 4.5 quarts correct? How important is half a quart? Better to be half quart low or high? I have no intentions on getting under my car with it running to remove a level check plug. So is there anyone that knows the correct amount that should be put back in? Thanks guys for any feed back. Chris

Old 01-14-2014, 07:46 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleychris1969
So is 3.5 or 4 or 4.5 quarts correct? How important is half a quart? Better to be half quart low or high? I have no intentions on getting under my car with it running to remove a level check plug. So is there anyone that knows the correct amount that should be put back in? Thanks guys for any feed back. Chris
It should be 3-3.5 quarts. I confirmed that by doing the level check after I had put 3-3.5 quarts into it. See my post from November 2012. I no longer have the X-Type, but the transmission was still working fine after I had put over 50,000 miles on it. I only got rid of the car because I got rear-ended and it was totaled.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:08 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been experiencing slipping on stop & go traffic or when I slow down but don't stop then hit gas - I've own this car for about two yr no issues great dependable the guy I purchases it from told me before selling it to me he had trans fluild replace by jag - but how can I personally know if the trans fluild needs to be replace - it doesn't happen offtend but afraid this might be a serious sign so I would like to take procausion- so if anyone can relate to the issue I'm expreancing please inform me on what steps I can take

04 jaguar xtype 3.0
Gas - 9.3
Oil - castrol edge full synthetic 5w30
Anti freeze - green due to priyor owner had it in there
Spark plugs - double platinum
Any more helpful info I'll be glad to add
Also live in jersey if you guys know a mechanic that I can try that would be great

Old 01-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Drain Plug

Ironically, and according to some websites, professionals have mistaken a plug for filling or draining which results in the loss reverse gear.

I just dropped the front valve body cover on my 2002. It had a leak. There is no gasket and the brilliance of the last mechanic or manufacturer who installed it oiled the transmission side of the pan (valve body cover) apparently so cleaning or removing would be easy, but there was a leak.

I took the battery and the battery holder completely off and had no trouble removing most of the 12 or so bolts from top. Pop off the breather, it comes off easy.

BUT THE PLUG IS TO THE LEFT OF THE PAN ON THE PAN AT THE TOP. IT IS A RUBBER PLUG, OR "BUNG."

I actually started finding tools for the hex bolt and even turned the *** that has the tab that looks identical to a plug. But its an electronic adjuster gizmo. I turned it like a 1/16" of an inch and felt it was a spring loaded switch type feel. I heard something drop or release as I did. My heart sunk but nothing happened after I put it together so phewee, its cool!

I bought some of the oil recommended on this site, but it did not have that "number" people have said it is compliant with. It was a "import" fluid with the recommended title Castrol import multi vehicle. One line here says, "one of these may not meet the specs.

After driving it, I hear a tranny pinion whine type noise one hears in older standard transmissions, but only at low speeds. Suggesting that the viscosity isn't there.

I found these to links
Jaguar X-Type Red Line Auto Trans Fluid W0133-1840587 at Auto Parts Network

and

Jaguar X-Type Motul Power Steering Fluid W0133-1896473 at Auto Parts Network

claiming to be OEM

I'm going to order it and see...

Old 01-24-2014, 01:40 PM
Default tranny fluid OEM idemitsu for 8 bucks a quart

Auto Parts Network | Car Parts and Truck Parts Online - Free Shipping on most Auto Accessories & Performance Parts - AutoPartsNetwork
I just bought the last 11 quarts, i'm sure they'll have more but what luck, its OEM idemitsu....

Old 01-24-2014, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 04xtype04
So what would the best be without removing the level bolt? Drain and refill with 3.5 quarts each time? I am really worried and don't want to mess anything up. Does raising up one side of the car affect how much drains out or should it be drained when the car is level? Thank you.

At Harbor Freight you can get a jack with extensions that picks up the whole front or back end (both wheels) very stable and safe. The jack and extension is probable 100 bucks.

I put sturdy floor jacks her the body frame bolts and that gets it level...removing the hex plug to check level is easy and I don't see any problem of misidentifying the bolt, if you look at the pics on this site or jtis manual.

you have to use a thermometer and make sure the tranny oil is 84 to 104 degrees as it comes out of the fill plug. IR thermometer is 30 bucks or so.

Just know the fill plug is on the pan under the battery next to an engine pully. It is rubber. You can put it back on with a grabber, perhaps take it off with one too

Old 01-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Default those longer funnels, probably for transmissions...

Originally Posted by 04xtype04
Everything makes sense I'm just a little unclear, do you use a funnel and pour the new fluid into that pipe opening by the battery?

So I used a long thin funnel, but its tube is way to short. I piece of 3/8 copper tube duck tapes nicely to the tight fit of the pipe and funnel. about 1' will do it, and bobs your uncle!

Old 01-24-2014, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by JaguarKnight
It should be 3-3.5 quarts. I confirmed that by doing the level check after I had put 3-3.5 quarts into it. See my post from November 2012. I no longer have the X-Type, but the transmission was still working fine after I had put over 50,000 miles on it. I only got rid of the car because I got rear-ended and it was totaled.

I dropped my valve body cover pan and it sat for a week. I added 5 quarts of oil and filled up 4 quarts back in the old bottles seemingly a quart low. But, but it was definitely more than 3 quarts came out! perhaps the torque converter got to bleed somehow. I'm glad I didn't just buy the 3 quarts, is the point.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Harleychris1969

What is correct is that oil comes out the level plug at 84 to 104 degrees f. there is no fluid amount predictable that I would rely on for a 2000 to 5000 dollar tranny job.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:17 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Here's a helpful tip for accessing the fill port:

If you have long needle-nosed pliers you can remove the rubber plug without taking the battery out. Then take the plastic part of a turkey baster and insert it into the fill hole. From there, you can take a larger funnel and stick it into the wider top opening of the turkey baster.

That's how I did the drain/refill on mine after deciding I didn't want to take out the battery 3 or 4 times.

The following 2 users liked this post by emaraszek:
geewilicurs (01-06-2017), newtojags (07-31-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 01:18 AM

I'm getting a noise after changing the fluid. I shot the oil with a thermometer. It was coming out of the level hole at 103 degrees f. It sounds like air in the system maybe, but only in 1st gear and goes away when warm. A guy posted a video with the same sound on this forum. I had to fix a leak in the valve cover, now I am getting a small irritating sound. I'm thinking air. Wonder what to do...oh darn!

Old 02-26-2014, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by emaraszek
Here's a helpful tip for accessing the fill port:

If you have long needle-nosed pliers you can remove the rubber plug without taking the battery out. Then take the plastic part of a turkey baster and insert it into the fill hole. From there, you can take a larger funnel and stick it into the wider top opening of the turkey baster.

That's how I did the drain/refill on mine after deciding I didn't want to take out the battery 3 or 4 times.
f

From underneath I was able to reach up and squeeze my hand in. With two fingers pushup on the bung and it popped off. Put it back on in reverse with a bit of 2 finger ballet to get the plug on. Got a few minor bruises, but it was quick.

The following users liked this post:
CyJag (06-16-2019)
Old 03-14-2014, 05:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Has anyone thought of flushing the transmission like this?

I understand the X-Type transmission does not have a dipstick and you could end up with too much or too little fluid in the system. Would using the fluid check plug procedure already posted be sufficient to sort out that issue? I am not familiar with the X-Type transmission at all so if I have missed something obvious I will not be surprised. I have only "played" with one manual transmission from the early 1970's previously.

I hope I haven't broken any forum rules by posting this link.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:48 AM
Default Youtube clip...

Originally Posted by newtojags
Has anyone thought of flushing the transmission like this?

10 Min Automatic Transmission Fluid Flush + Replacement (Most Cars) - YouTube

I understand the X-Type transmission does not have a dipstick and you could end up with too much or too little fluid in the system. Would using the fluid check plug procedure already posted be sufficient to sort out that issue? I am not familiar with the X-Type transmission at all so if I have missed something obvious I will not be surprised. I have only "played" with one manual transmission from the early 1970's previously.

I hope I haven't broken any forum rules by posting this link.
Has anyone tried the method shown in this video clip? Was one of my first thoughts as an alternative to draining and filling every weekend, type of procedure?

Old 06-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jaguarknight, did you notice any difference in your tranny after using the Castrol Import multi-vehicle ATF. I found this stuff at my local Autozone, and I am going to use it. I must have nicked a seal when I changed the axle on the front passenger side. Now I have a small leak of tranny fluid. It needs to be repaired. So, the fluid is going to get an upgrade too. Thanks vai1953

Quick Reply: Transmission Drain.Fill procedure FAQ