Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Shifter Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Transmission Shifter Issue

Hi guys,

I've been having a problem with my X not shifting into drive (D, 4, 3, or 2) when I leave it un-driven for an extended period (5+ days). Reverse always works fine, but when I shift it to go forward, the transmission just would not engage. After a couple of tries, it would eventually work and not do it again until the next time I leave the car un-driven for an extended period. I took it to a Jag dealer a year ago and they couldn't replicate it nor found any codes.

Well, I just came back from a 20 day vacation and this time it was A LOT more stubborn than usual. What I discovered this time is that the shifter felt sort of rubbery when I tried to put into D...almost like there was tension that didn't want it to go past Neutral. The more I kept trying to put it into Drive the better it got until I finally pulled back super hard on the shifter from Parking to Drive. At that point, the car drove with no issues. Since then, the only way to guarantee that the transmission engages forward is to pull back hard on the shifter. If I gently do it, it doesn't engage.

With all of that said, I am assuming the problem is related to the shifter, and THANKFULLY not the transmission itself. So, now what? Is it a bad shifter assembly or a bad cable? If it's the cable, is it known to go bad and how hard is it to replace by myself? I couldn't find the instructions on JTIS.

Cheers.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Sounds like you have a very unique issue... I have stumbled on this thread a few times now and was really hoping that someone could help you because I personally have never heard of this issue before. Count this as a little bump for your issue so hopefully someone else will be able to address this.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:20 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by spielnicht
............... If it's the cable, is it known to go bad and how hard is it to replace by myself? I couldn't find the instructions on JTIS.

Cheers.
The relevant section from JTIS (Selector Lever Cable & Bracket - 44.15.08) won't upload to the forum but you can download it from my MediaFire account by following this link:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/ypq58k...26_Bracket.pdf

The X-Type transmission description says it 'uses Hall Effect Switches and a micro controller inside the transmission selector lever to generate the electronic code' for gear selection.

Hall Effect Switches produce a voltage in response to a magnetic field. Basically a blade moving across a magnet produces a known voltage depending on relative position.

These switches are widely used in Jaguar seat belts and seat runners and are the cause of numerous faults when dirty or the blade is even slightly out of position.

Your mysterious shift issues could be related to a similar switch problem in the transmission selector.

Graham

Old 06-25-2013, 05:14 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi,
I had a similar problem last year, what I done was was removed the cable and greased up the changer mechanism on the transmission end then worked the shifter back and forth until it moved freely. Then had to reset position of shifter the ensure it chose correct gear at correct position. Hope this helps?

Old 04-14-2014, 12:54 PM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Same Problem

Hi Guys.
I also am having the same problem, If i leave the car for more that 7 days without driving she will not go into drive, I can Reverse but If i shift into drive nothing.
moving through the J gate does not help.
The only way i can get drive to engage is to slam the selector into D from P.
I even sat for 10 mins with Reverse engaged to see if it was cold fluid. no help there.
then she drives like a charm until i leave her sit for a couple of days.
I have checked fluid levels but I am at a loss what to do now.
any help would be great.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone found out what is causing the problem with not going into Drive and the cable feels like there is resistance when trying to put into gear. Mine feels that way after it gets warm. Is it the shifter cable???

Old 05-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever figure out what was causing your Jag not to shift into Drive???

Old 05-05-2014, 06:05 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Well guys.
I have been out of the country for 2 weeks and get back Thursday night. usually if i leave her for a week or so i get to spend a good 15-30 mins trying to get her to move sometimes even reverse does not work.
she is sitting at the airport waiting for me so lets see if she is going to be nice and let me drive home. If not looks like a call to AAA and me under the car this weekend trying to figure this one out.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
first thing i guess is to check out the switches on the J gate and give them a good clean and see if they have moved.
I will let you know what I find
wish me luck.