X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

US Driver Side Ballast light (Low Beam) does not on, but high beams Work

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Side Day Time Running Light does not turn on, but high beams Works

Hello All,

I have two Jaguars with the same issue. The low beams work fine. The US driver side daytime running light does not turn on. Only the passenger daytime running light turns on. When I turn on the High Beams, the driver and passenger high beam lights display. The low beams on both cars turn on. I have replaced (twice) the composite light bulb (H1) and the light still does not come on. I read on other posts that Fuse F85 and F86 were the locations for the high beam lights. I removed both F85 and F86; and the daytime running lights still displayed. Since other posts stated that the fuse was 7.5, I removed each 7.5 fuse and noticed that the daytime running lights turned off when I removed F63. I swapped F63 with F62 and the passenger daytime running light still turns on. Is this something common with X-Types? I read on some other posts about a pigtail that may need to be replaced. Any assistance is appriciated. I am hoping that a particular fuse may be the issue, I just need to know which one to look for.

Thanks,
Joe
175K+
2003 X-Type V6 2.5

Last edited by jnole; 03-13-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:23 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

jnole, you have me confused some. Do you have HID headlights (which have a ballast) or do you have the conventional halogen headlights (no ballast, but use an H1 bulb).

As for your issue, lets see what you have first as that can lead us a few different ways.

As for your headlight fuses, check out fuses F16 and F17. Those are for your low beams (as us US drivers call them, the Brits call them DIP beams). You may find that fuse F16 (under hood fuse box) will be blown and that is causing your issues.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:43 AM

Thank you for the reply. I use H1 bulbs. I will double check fuses again and I will swap fuses. I will also post a photo later on today.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Veteran member

jnole, if you are using H1 bulbs, then you have the halogen bulbs. In a lot of cases, the problem that you are experiencing is going to occur in 1 of 2 spots. The more likely spot is the plug on the back of the headlight bulb. This will tend to get warm and the plastic will melt and it will cause the connectors to oxidize, resulting in a loss of connection. The other problem is inside of the plug to the headlight housing. If a little bit of water gets in there, it can cause the pins to get corroded and form a high resistance connection, resulting in the loss of the light.

To fix the bulb connector, that is nothing more than cutting the old plug off and putting a new one on. As for the headlight housing connector, you will have to pull it apart, then using some small screw drivers and scribes, clean up the pins inside. You want everything to have a nice silver color to it.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 PM

Hi Thermo,

I checked the fuses and all is well. Both of my 2003 Jaguar X-Types have the same issue. My car failed inspection when the inspector had the light switch on to high beam.

This is what the inspector saw when the car was off with the light switch selected to high beam. The inspector told me that both lights needed to be on.

When the car is on, this is how it looks. The low beams work fine, but the passenger side high beam seems to be displaying a low beam light.

When the high beams are on, this is how it looks like:

As you can see, the lights work fine. The only issue is that the passenger side high beam light displays a low beam light when lights are on. Here is a picture of the driver side high beam cover.

One thing I noticed is that the driver side high beam inside assembly is loose, can easily wiggle, and does not sit on the mount properly. Take a look at the white plastic piece on top left. The connectors still look new and clean. The inside looks like this:

The passenger side high beam inside does not wiggle or move and the wires still look new.

So far, I replaced both high beam H1 lights and swapped low beam and high beam fuses around. Issue still exists. Is this a normal issue with the 2003 Jaguar X-Types? Do I have to replace the driver side head light asssembly to fix the issue? Both of my 2003 X-Type Jaguars have the same issue. Thank you for any assistance.

Joe
175K+
2003 Jaguar X-Type V-6 2.5

Attached Thumbnails US Driver Side Ballast light (Low Beam) does not on, but high beams Work-high_beam_selected.jpg   US Driver Side Ballast light (Low Beam) does not on, but high beams Work-driver_side_high_beam_light_off_with_car_on.jpg   US Driver Side Ballast light (Low Beam) does not on, but high beams Work-driver_side_high_beam_on_with_car_on.jpg   US Driver Side Ballast light (Low Beam) does not on, but high beams Work-driver_side_high_beam_cover.jpg   US Driver Side Ballast light (Low Beam) does not on, but high beams Work-driver_side_high_beam_inside.jpg  

US Driver Side Ballast light (Low Beam) does not on, but high beams Work-passenger_side_high_beam_inside.jpg   US Driver Side Ballast light (Low Beam) does not on, but high beams Work-driver_side_high_beam_inside2.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2013, 12:59 AM
Veteran member

jnole, ok, what your pictures demonstrate and what I was getting from your description above are not matching. You were really confusing me by calling it the low beam and high beam.

What the pictures are showing me is that you have a burned out 194 bulb for your running lights. The inside headlights have 2 different bulbs in them. You have a large H1 bulb that is your high beams. Then if you look above and to the side of the large bulb, you will see a smaller bulb. This is a 194 bulb (aka, a 2825 bulb). That bulb is most likely burned out since the same bulb on the other side works and they are both powered off of the same circuit after the fuse.

Try replacing that small bulb and see what you end up with then.

The following users liked this post:
jnole (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 06:57 AM

Thank you so much! I will change the 2825 bulb later on today and let you know the results.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 03-13-2013, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
jnole, ok, what your pictures demonstrate and what I was getting from your description above are not matching. You were really confusing me by calling it the low beam and high beam.

What the pictures are showing me is that you have a burned out 194 bulb for your running lights. The inside headlights have 2 different bulbs in them. You have a large H1 bulb that is your high beams. Then if you look above and to the side of the large bulb, you will see a smaller bulb. This is a 194 bulb (aka, a 2825 bulb). That bulb is most likely burned out since the same bulb on the other side works and they are both powered off of the same circuit after the fuse.

Try replacing that small bulb and see what you end up with then.
Thank You Thermo!

I did not know I had Day time running lights. I thought I only had one light inside the high beam headlight. I went to Auto Zone to see if they had the running light bulb listed, but they did not. I had trouble taking the bulb socket out. I was not sure if I had to twist and pull out or just pull out. I even tried using a tiny flat head to gently pry the socket out. I am not sure how much that helped, but I played with it a bit and it finally pulled out.

The light bulb was blown. I replaced the bulb with a 2825 Sylvania Bulb.

The Day Time running lights now display correctly.

Attached Thumbnails US Driver Side Ballast light (Low Beam) does not on, but high beams Work-driver_side_daytime_light.jpg   US Driver Side Ballast light (Low Beam) does not on, but high beams Work-driver_side_daytime_light_bulb.jpg   US Driver Side Ballast light (Low Beam) does not on, but high beams Work-blown_light_bulb.jpg   US Driver Side Ballast light (Low Beam) does not on, but high beams Work-daytime_lights.jpg  

Last edited by jnole; 03-13-2013 at 10:09 PM.