X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Underbody durability?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underbody durability?

Hey all, I was turning left into a ramped plaza entrance at around 40-50kph today and slid , basically going onto the curb (along plaza entrance and travelling over about 12ft of curb/sidewalk). The car flattened a road sign right on the licence plate (not the high strength signs) and now there are a number of issues.

It was a rainy day and all, and after the incident the car is giving me a dsc system fault amber light,

The alignment is horribly off (about 60 degrees left to go straight, and it almost feels like the steering has gotten "loose".

Grinding noise when travelling very slow (<10kph), and worsens when turning either way (bent brake rotor plate??), but grinding basically seems to disappear once you go a little faster.

Almost like a slow frequency whirring noise from the back (wheel hub in rear?)

I drove back for about 20 minutes in heavy pouring rain and the engine, tranny and electronics (other than dsc) seemed ok. Im worried about my shocks and tie bars being wrecked though. Checked engine bay, underfloor and inside wheel arches for signs of clear damage and nothing seems out of place.

Any idea what is the damage? Im taking it to the nearest shop tomorrow to get it looked at, any speculation on realistic damage?

Thanks

Last edited by Jagtype; 07-27-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:53 AM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Ha!

Sounds like there is a loose nut behind the steering wheel.

Hope the damage is minimal.

Let us know.

The following users liked this post:
Jagtype (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 06:30 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Jagtype, from the sounds of things, you have damaged the cable going to one of your speed sensors on the side you hit the curb with. If you can hook up a scanner to the car, that should tell you which wheel is the problem.

As for the steering wheel, it is possible that you bent the steering linkage on that side. This is where a good look under the car and looking side to side will tell you a lot.

The following users liked this post:
Jagtype (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Jagtype, from the sounds of things, you have damaged the cable going to one of your speed sensors on the side you hit the curb with. If you can hook up a scanner to the car, that should tell you which wheel is the problem.

As for the steering wheel, it is possible that you bent the steering linkage on that side. This is where a good look under the car and looking side to side will tell you a lot.
I didn't necessarily "hit"the curb, more like drove onto it because it was right beside the actual entrance. Luckily as a result the curb was ramped.

Could the car sustain any suspension damage from this? I don't think there was any rim impacts from the sides, just probably a lot of vertical force from landing into the parking lot from the curb.

Thanks for the helps!

Old 07-28-2014, 09:35 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Speculation here is silly. Have someone who knows get the car up and have a good look. Driving the car with the problems you describe is suicidal and endangering others. My only hope here is that this is a joke!

Old 07-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I ran.. more like ramped over a pretty good size deer in my 02 at 60mph (went under instead of over). As soon as it happened I got "Gearbox Failure" & "Cruise Not Available" but just shutting down the car and restarting cleared those out. But there was no damage at all. However the underside was dripping with blood and meat. (Oh man I'm sure the self wash I went to after thinks there was a murder there now).

So these cars can take a beating and keep going strong.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Jagtype, I say to still get the codes read. That will tell you a lot. it is possible that when you ramped up the curb, you shoved the wheel into the wheel well really good and you may have pushed things a bit further than they normally do. So, damaging a wire is still possible.

Like was mentioned, get the car up off of the ground and see what you see. That will be the biggest tell. From there, you can sort out what is not right.