Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unknown Brake Noise

Old 04-17-2014, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Unknown Brake Noise

Hello All,

My First post here, i Recently bought a 2003 Jaguar X-type 2.5
I have been having a strange noise happen that I cant explain.
When im driving and in city, using the brakes a lot I am hearing a whooping sound from the right side rear wheel, a whoop whoop or (whoo whoo) noise
as soon as I apply the brake it goes away and starts again when i take my foot off the brake.
I dont feel any drag and it doesnt go away when cornering.
and that wheel gets appreciably hotter than the left side
Anyone got any clue what this could be?

Ive had the wheel off, all the suspension looks brand new, the brakes have decent thickness left and the rotors are clean and smooth.
Shaking the wheel results in no movement either so i dont feel its the bearings

My thoughts are, it feels like as it gets hot, something is causing the brake to stick on slightly (piston getting jammed, or slide pin stuck?

Any advice would be appreciated

Old 04-17-2014, 07:08 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

eyuras, first off, welcome to the Forums. I think you will find lots of very useful information here and tons of people that are more than willing to help you out. Part of this stems from us wanting to be a better car group than you can find elsewhere. As part of this, we like to get to know one another. So, if you would, please stop by the New Member Forum and give a quick intro. This will also give you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is.

As for your problem, I am betting that what you are experiencing is a hanging e-brake lever. If you remove the wheel in question, loo at the top part of the caliper. You should see where a braided cable attaches to the caliper on a lever. Using a large screw driver or other suitable prybar, give the lever a little bit of a push towards the rear bumper (not enough to bend the lever, but it may take a little bit of force to get it to move). You will most likely see this lever move about a 1/4". If you see any movement, put the wheel back on and go for a drive. I bet your noise will be gone.

As for the fix if this is the case, the simple answer is you will need a new caliper. This will run you about $125 at a local shop (may need to go to a European specialty shop) and installing it is pretty easy. Just make sure to bleed the brakes before taking it out for the final spin. If you need any assistance, let me know. Been around the block a few times with this problem. The other option is to pull the caliper off and rebuild it. The rebuild kit is like $12 on e-bay, but you will also need a 14mm pentasocket (not a normal socket, but a 5 point socket) to remove the safety bolt on the caliper. From there, you can break the caliper down and you can clean up the shaft where the e-brake lever goes into the caliper. Rebuilding the caliper takes about 30 minutes to do. If you look around, I have a write up on doing it.

You need any additional help, let me know. Oh yeah, if you pull on your e-brake, pay attention to when you pull it. IF you find that the first inch or so is really easy then you feel it get a bit more difficult, then finally get hard where you are firmly applying the e-brake, that is a classic symptom of the e-brake lever sticking.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Thermo,
Ive have taken a look at the ebrake lever, and putting the ebrake on and off it moves nice and smooth, and returns to rest on the bolt theres no play in it

I think however it might just be the caliper sticking, the rest of the brake system seems to be in very good condition ill report back once i get a new caliper installed