X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicle inertia switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vehicle inertia switch

I went thorugh my instrument cluster diagnostic menu and under the vehicle inertia test it says switch tripped. What is a vehicle inertia switch and what would cause it to be tripped?

Old 03-22-2008, 10:29 PM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Vehicle inertia switch

I can't find much on the description in the Jag Service manual (JTIS) on the Inertia Fuel Shutoff Switch (IFS)..Item #2)..but here is a picture showing a general location...From what I gather, that at a certain g-force decelleration (collision) this switch is tripped shutting off the fuel pump..I don't know if it can be reset once it has been tripped...Might want to poke around under the hood to see if you can find it..Wife has our Jag right now..so I can't go look and see myself if I could find it..

Old 03-22-2008, 10:53 PM

Thanks Dennis, I thought it had something to do with the fuel system. The only thing that doesnt make sence is my car was running whenI did the diagnostic and it said the switch was tripped.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:34 PM
ud

ORIGINAL: ItalianXtype

Thanks Dennis, I thought it had something to do with the fuel system. The only thing that doesnt make sence is my car was running whenI did the diagnostic and it said the switch was tripped.
My pleasure buddy..I agree that last part of what you said has me stumped too..Perhaps one of the expert Jag techs here can help us with that..

The following users liked this post:
Franchie Dutchez Sanchez (04-24-2020)
Old 03-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the switch is located on the passenger side front on the inside. Open the door and get down and look to your Right. it will be to the right of where the passenger would put his/her feet. Theres a plastic piece of trim that will look like it has a little plastic piece much like where the tow hooks are. Remove that piece of plastic and push the switch in.

JagDiemech (06-26-2022)
Old 03-23-2008, 08:51 AM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

it may just mean it has been tripped and reset manually..by pushing down on the button on the inertia switch

Old 03-23-2008, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the info guys. My car has never been in an accident so I dont get why it would say the switch was tripped. I have to go to Jag tomorrow morning anyways so I'll have them check it out.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:27 AM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

it cud be tripped and reset by techs whencheckingfor ano start condition

Old 03-23-2008, 12:16 PM
ud

So it's on the inside right hand of the Passenger footwell..?..thanks I would have been all up under the Hood looking for that damn thing....North American Models right?

Franchie Dutchez Sanchez (04-24-2020)
Old 03-23-2008, 12:40 PM

The switch was definitly tripped because I just went and pushed on it and it and clicked. Its still says the inertia switch status is tripped though. What I dont understand is if theswitch was tripped shouldnt thefuel be shut off? Could the switch being tripped cause my gas mileage to go down or cause the car to act like its going to stall at a red light sometimes?

Old 03-23-2008, 12:46 PM

I forgot to metion that afterI reset the switch the lcd display on the dash was flickering when the car is off. Is it supposed to do that?

You guys are definitly alot more help than my dealership, I've had the same service advisor for more than 2 years now and I definitly trust you guys more.

JagDiemech (06-26-2022)
Old 03-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yep...footwell was the word i was looking for haha. US models of course!

Old 03-24-2008, 08:51 PM

The dealer thinks im crazybecuase they said theres no way my car could be running is the switch was tripped.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:05 PM
ud

I'm sure it's possible that the switch itself is faulty..I deal with components like this all the time in my line of work..

Maybe the electrical contacts that run the fuel pump never opened, that's why the car still ran..but the aux set of contacts that signal the computer that it is tripped are making intermittent contact or were the ones that set the notice off, threw the code, dropped the hint..whatever it does to the computer...

Old 03-24-2008, 10:49 PM

Thanks Dennis, I'll have to tell my techs at the dealer what you said if they cant figure it out.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was struggling for 30 minutes trying to start the car with exactly the same problem as described on this threat, before tonight my 93 XJ6 started every time, I turn the key. But after reading this forum,
Honest the God, I followed exactly the leads here, trying to find that Inertia Switch at the passenger side right foot area, I found nothing, except the fuse box, and I tried to push every single fuse inside (make sure they were not loss), all seems to be well, no clicking, no loss ends............
Frustrated for not able to find this Inertia Switch, I tried again anyway to start the car again.............it did...........cranked up as per normal.......running smooth again.

I shut the engine, restarted again successfully, running as smooth as usual...
ODD ! ODD ! Couldn't understand Jag's electric system.

Old 03-03-2018, 08:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2004 Jaguar X-type 2.5 classic (driver is on left side).

In november 2016. a motocycle crushed into front right wing. The Jaguar's enigne stoped because inertia switch was activated.
I couldn't move the engine by key immediately. When I found the button near passenger right knee,
I pressed the inertia switch button and after that I could move engine. I replaced wing, and I thought everything is OK.

But, in spring 2017. started problems with P1582 failure. Almost 1 year I drive with "yellow" light on control desk. I did not know how to solve problem, what to do, what to replace. Maybe I need to replace part C2S44918 ?

I do not know, what I should replace after "inertia switch activated"?

How can I solve failure problem "yellow" light icon of engine (P1582)?

The part C2S44918 is easy to buy on eBay, but maybe that part is not damaged. Maybe, there is some contact with wear?
Problem is, in my country there is no official Jaguar dealer, with original Jaguar computer, and nobody can do "hard reset".

I have no any other engine problem but that "yellow" light icon (P1582)

Old 03-03-2018, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
Old 03-03-2018, 09:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

jaguar.awd, to do a hard reset, simply disconnect the battery, wait 2 minutes and then reconnect. This will force the ECU/ECM to relearn everything and it will erase any codes that are stored in the computer. Of note, before you do this, make sure that you have the radio code (4 digit code that can be obtained from a dealership with proof of ownership, free service) and you will need to reprogram the windows to re-enable the auto up/down feature (takes 2 minutes to do).

If you are still having issues, then let me know and I will look at the drawings and see what I can find for you. I will need to know the build date of your car since you have a 2004 model. There are 2 different wiring harnesses for the vehicle depending on whether it was built early in the year or later. This date is in the driver's door jam on the white sticker. It will be right under the section that says "Build Date".

Old 03-05-2018, 06:35 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
jaguar.awd, to do a hard reset, simply disconnect the battery, wait 2 minutes and then reconnect. This will force the ECU/ECM to relearn everything and it will erase any codes that are stored in the computer. Of note, before you do this, make sure that you have the radio code (4 digit code that can be obtained from a dealership with proof of ownership, free service) and you will need to reprogram the windows to re-enable the auto up/down feature (takes 2 minutes to do).

If you are still having issues, then let me know and I will look at the drawings and see what I can find for you. I will need to know the build date of your car since you have a 2004 model. There are 2 different wiring harnesses for the vehicle depending on whether it was built early in the year or later. This date is in the driver's door jam on the white sticker. It will be right under the section that says "Build Date".
Thank you for reply. As reply to your question I took this photo.

Is that date "10/03" , 10. March (2004) or 3. October (2004) ?

That "hard reset" does help nothing.

Last edited by jaguar.awd; 03-05-2018 at 09:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Vehicle inertia switch