Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine won't start - Clicking & Gearbox Fault Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine won't start - Clicking & Gearbox Fault Light

Hi Guys;

Just parked my beloved 2001 X-type 2.5 on the street for about 20 minutes while I went shopping, when I came back I couldn't get it to start, the Gearbox fault light came up on the dash and when I turn the key to start there is a clicking noise but the engine won't start. It will not even turn over at all. My initial thought was that maybe the battery was the fault therefore I got a friend to give me a jump start however still no joy. Towed the car back home. took the battery off completely and went inside to give it a charge, however within minutes showed as fully charged therefore I guess the battery is not at fault.
Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Cheers - Keiron

P.S. have also checked connections to the battery and cabling seems fine also.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:02 AM

This link is a video on YouTube with a guy seemingly having exactly the same issue, however no explanation as to what the problem turned out to be.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:07 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

When my x type sat for a while, the battery "died." The lights would come on when I opened the door, but it wouldn't turn over, it would click (I think 3 times) about 1 or 2 seconds between each click.

A jump wouldn't allow it to start, but if I hooked it up to a trickle charger for 12 hours, it would start just fine.

Sorry I am not of better help.

The following users liked this post:
keiron87 (10-14-2014)
Old 10-14-2014, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Did the car start after you charged it? If not, I would bet the battery is bad. Maybe get a load test done on it. Not very unusual for them to go without warning. How old is the battery?

The following users liked this post:
keiron87 (10-14-2014)
Old 10-14-2014, 11:16 AM

Hi;
It didn't start after the charge. The battery is about 3 years old and has never let me down in the past.
Do you think it could have anything to do with the solenoid?

Old 10-14-2014, 11:19 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Check to make sure you have a solid ground connection on the engine side. It sounds like you may have a poor connection somewhere. Beyond that it sounds like you may have a bad starter motor if it does not even turn over. The gearbox fault message makes it sound like the car thinks you are not in Park, which would also prevent starting.

Last edited by sawduster; 10-14-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:24 AM

All the connections seem absolutely fine.
Cable clamps especially showing no signs of corrosion or any indication that there is a problem.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I can't say for sure, but I would still till bet on the battery. They can go with no warning whatsoever. I know mine did. There are a ton of posts on here about that. 3 years isn't that old, but it is hardly new either. Not that expensive and easy to change out.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:56 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Before you jump to a bad starter motor, try doing a trickle charge over night.

Also do a battery test which was suggested.

My battery and starter are fine, but as mentioned earlier, when sitting for a while (months), it won't start, but will click a couple times. A trickle charge fixes it and it is good to go until it sits for a few months again.

Again, the lights would come on, the radio could play, just not enough juice to start. Unsure why a jump wouldn't work though, potentially a safety feature of the Jag, but I can't claim that.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:05 PM
Wink Only goes in Reverse

Issue w/ 2005 X-Type 3.0 automatic, just stopped starting. Possibly related, about 1 year ago car started making this bad grinding when starting, as if already running, but only happened about once a month. I'd just set and disable alarm again and it'd then start right up?? Thought may have been just alarm but has gotten worse and other problems I see on here may be culpable.

So then one day it just stopped starting. All fully powered just didn't even turn over. Says Gearbox fault randomly and computer read PO706, transmission range sensor, briefy and currenty reads PO915, gear shift position. Here's what I've done to try to fix so far:

Replaced Battery- no change at all

Pulled out TCM & inspected ECM- seemed dry and no corrosion/damage

Randomly put shifter in 2nd gear as it wasn't even locked in and it'd start right up! Won't go into any gear but running. Replaced the whole J-gate and Shifter assembly hoping it'd fix...it didn't

Now, when turn key, Reverse light is on but shifter is in Park. If put Shifter in Drive, Neutral lights up, and car will start. Only the R and N lights ever light up. Guess transmission cable needs to be adjusted?

Wow, JUST now checked car for what else to write about and all gear lights lite up for each gear. Didn't even adjust cable yet so still 1 gear off with light, D light=Neutral P light=Reverse.

Here's potential bigger issue: Car still only goes into and moves in Reverse!!! I think the cable may still be an issue but even with the light now going on for each gear, it doesn't move or even seem to engage into any gear, except Reverse???

Any suggestions? I'm thinking more and more I should change trasmission cable? Thanks

Old 03-24-2016, 10:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have very similar issue X-Type 2006 2.1L Auto.
I have been fitting an aftermarket touch screen job and allwas good until I went to start the engine, it lights up the dash but will notturn over, the stability control light is on also but I think it does untilengine has started? I get message “gearbox fault” on dash, very odd since itran yesterday and no lights at all.

I have replaced the alternator with new one since the ignlight did come on intermittently last week and I have also replaced both rear hubs withbearings but I can’t see the ABS sensor causing this issue.
I have been reading the forums and most indicate battery, I disconnected and trickle charged to full capacity light on and tried again but same result, ignition comes on but nothing in crank position, no dimming of lights nothing, It also will not come out of park, if I move the gear lever to the left in P it sounds alarm until put back.
the only thing I have done is to rest the stereo on top of the gear lever whilst installing and had a tea towel over to prevent scratching it, surely this can't have done anything, I have not touched any wiring other than the stereo connector, and have used pre-made harnesses, the stereo works fine so I think everything there is fine.
I have read of rain ingress into cab and getting ECM wet causing all sorts of issues but the car has been garaged while I have had it (only bought it a couple of weeks ago) so no rain has entered cab.
I have checked the gear selector had not moved causing misalignment with cable or any sensor and everything there is tight, this really is a tricky problem, any help much appreciated.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

This thread seems to indicate that the climate controls must be connected correctly to start the engine. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...alling-155157/
Having worked on the stereo, that might be a source of your starting problem.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:56 PM

Cylons you are without doubt a god send, this was exactly the problem, reconnected the two climate plugs and she fired up right away.
Perfect.
I could have saved $150 ordering a code reader but I guess it will come in handy down the track.
thanks so much for the answer. logic was defeating me.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Logic wasn't defeating you - you are being too hard on yourself. Who would think that the climate control had anything to do with the starting system? Dealing with post-2000 cars in which all systems are interconnected requires adjusting our thinking. We used to think: fuel plus spark equals ignition . Not any more. It is as though each system in the car has to ask another system for permission before anything can happen. This is not a Jaguar issue, by the way. It is common to all modern cars.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:13 AM

SOV211, you are right, I was a mechanic for 25yrs starting in 1975, been out of the trade so long everything has changed but you missed oxygen in your equation, fuel spark and air.
I taught my kids: suck/squeeze/bang/blow (induction/compression/power and exhaust)when they were toddlers and they remind me of it even today.