X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Washer Motor - Not Workie - Noob!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield Washer Motor - Not Workie - Noob!

Well, where should I start guys? The fluid level is full, and it won't spray any fluid. Any ideas? Is this a common problem?

Old 06-15-2007, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Windshield Washer Motor - Not Workie - Noob!

Washer pump motor may be fried. No, not a common problem in fact it's uncommon.
Also just for S&G's check your fuse.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:25 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The washer jets might be clogged.

Also, check the washer fluid tube under the hood, the plastic joints commonly break.

The screen for the washer fluid pump gets clogged. You might have a leak.

I have yet to see a washer pump go bad.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:30 AM

When I pull attempt to use the washer function, I don't even hear the motor turn on. Looks like I may have a bad motor . I checked the fuse last nite and it's good.

Damn it MAN...

Old 06-16-2007, 08:46 AM

I didn't think it'd be too hard to do, but I wonder what it's gonna cost...

I doubt i'll find one at a junkyard anywhere around here.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

A new one will set you back about 120. (told ya it is was the pump Envy337.....always a doubter)

Old 06-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Given your symptoms (the fact that the pump motor doesn't sound) it is definitely an electrical issue somewhere. If it isn't the fuse (which you've checked) then it will be either the wash pump or damaged cabling as the windscreen washer is on its own circuit from the GECM ("car brain") to the fuse box in the engine bay. Given the low price on that one I PM'd to you I would go ahead and rule the pump out first. As mentioned above you just remove the drivers wheel and the lining and you can see the pump on the base of the washer bottle (it looks much easier to do it that way rather than trying to take the bottle out).

If it comes down to checking the cabling, start by checking there is voltage between both pins on the pump connector (pin 1 should become +V when the stalk switch is held in). If it doesn't and there is no visible damage to the cabling from the GECM then the problem gets more difficult to diagnose. You can try checking for +V on IP6 pin 5 on the GECM when the switch is pressed (connector IP6 is the second from the left, pin numbers are stampted on the connector). If it is then your wiring is dead, if it isn't then you need a new GECM or there is a problem with the wiring to your wiper stalk. The former will be expensive to fix, the latter equally as difficult.

I have all of the X-Type electrical guides on my web site at http://jaguar.bttlxe.com/xtype/electrical. Please feel free to refer to them to find the connector and harness locations and pin out information for testing (Fig 13.1 covers the washers). I do think that the wiring/GECM is unlikely to be the issue though - it will hopefully be the pump.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (04-07-2014)
Old 06-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  AudiX6JYM-2.jpg
Views: 2448
Size:  6.4 KB

Top info Dave!

Jim C

Old 05-05-2010, 01:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screen Wash

Originally Posted by Envy337
The washer jets might be clogged.

Also, check the washer fluid tube under the hood, the plastic joints commonly break.

The screen for the washer fluid pump gets clogged. You might have a leak.

I have yet to see a washer pump go bad.

I had no water coming out and looked under the hood and notice that the little plastic joint that the tubing pugs into has snapped off, (suspicously after I have the car valetted) meaning most of the water runs out of the tube- a little makes it over to ther far side spout. As a quick fix- do I ,

1. Bung the first tube outlet and just have water coming out of far side spout.

2. Can anyone suggest an everyday item i can put in to replace the plastic joint. It looks like a little bead that is hollow in the centre to allow water to travel through, a joint in other words.

Has anyone got any cheap fix ideas?

Stu

Old 05-05-2010, 02:01 AM
Default apologies

first post and i dint obey the golden rule- my car is a 2001 x type 3.0

Old 05-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

blanco-

I had a similar thing happen on my car. The little plastic connectors are exactly the same size as those sold by Orchard Supply Hardware for drip irrigation systems. I used the parts from Orchard many years ago and have had no problems since.

Last edited by Tiger88; 05-05-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:28 PM

Outstanding! thanks very much for your reply. Im not sure if we have an Orchard out here in Aussie but theres an equivalent shop for sure. Thanks again for the tip.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:57 PM

windscreen washer pump not firing up. it was a little dodgy for a little while and I thought it might be the wiper stalk.

car has only done 20k miles so not a hard life.

any easy ways to test the stalk switch?

if it is this switch is it easy to remove?

cheers
B

Old 11-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Auto supply stores around here stock connectors that fit these lines. Check your local auto supply store. A universal vacuum connector, which has steps in it for use with multiple size hoses, could also be used.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:31 AM

I am sure it is an electrical problem, I have found a thread that it could be a relay which has gone faulty. Anyone got a layout or idea where this relay is?

Old 11-29-2010, 04:47 PM

Mine dribbles I'll have to look at this soon.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Default Windscreen Wash

I live in Australia, so getting flies and grit off the wind shiled is pretty important. One of the plastic nozzles (that the wash line is plugged into) has snapped off under the hood- after i got the car valetted mysteriously! A replacement nozzle that plugs into the wash line pipe is $70 from Jag, but there must be a cheaper soloution. Was thinking of glueing the tubing straight on to where the bead plug should be but seems a shame. Anyone got any cheap sugggestions for this? I would suggest anyone else who has issues with their screen wash check these little plastic bead plugs as they are very delecate and could be the reason for their wash not working.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Sounds familiar....

Originally Posted by blanco77qpr
I live in Australia, so getting flies and grit off the wind shiled is pretty important. One of the plastic nozzles (that the wash line is plugged into) has snapped off under the hood- after i got the car valetted mysteriously! A replacement nozzle that plugs into the wash line pipe is $70 from Jag, but there must be a cheaper soloution. Was thinking of glueing the tubing straight on to where the bead plug should be but seems a shame. Anyone got any cheap sugggestions for this? I would suggest anyone else who has issues with their screen wash check these little plastic bead plugs as they are very delecate and could be the reason for their wash not working.
My plastic nozzle broke off under the hood a year ago. I tried using Krazy Glue to put it back on - twice - but it only lasts a few weeks and then breaks again. I found new nozzles on Ebay - for $30 each.

Quick Reply: Windshield Washer Motor - Not Workie - Noob!