X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Wiper Chaos!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Wiper Chaos!

Hello all, I've had my X-type for almost a year and I love it so far! I decided to replace my wiper blades a few weeks ago while also replacing my battery. There was some ice on my windshield (outside temp was approx 2 degrees F) and I made the mistake of trying to use my defroster and new wipers to get it off, and the wipers got jammed halfway up the windshield! I immediately pulled over and got out of my car to unjam them. After that, my wipers would only work if i held the wand in the single-wipe position. I determined it was a blown fuse (30 amp) for the wiper motor and other wiper components. After replacing it, here are my symptoms...

-I consitantly here a click from the driver side wiper when the wiper returns to the original position, but it sounds like it's coming from inside the motor assembly.
-The single-wipe function only operates when i hold it down. If i let go of the wand mid-wipe, the wipers stop wherever they are until i press it down again.
-In intermittent wiper mode, the wipers seem normal except they USUALLY wipe twice instead of once.

If anyone has any sugestions or if this has happened to anyone else, please let me know!! Thank you so much!

Old 01-18-2014, 11:02 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

chirt, first off, welcome to the forums. I think you will find a lot of very useful information here relating to your car. But, we do ask a simple thing from you. Please stop by the New Member Section and introduce yourself. We are quirky in that we like to get to know one another and we pride ourselves in being a very friendly bunch. This will also introduce you to those that make this place what it is. So, sit back, grab a cup of joe and enjoy.

As for your problem, what you are describing sounds like you have damaged the wiper motor. The motor has a set of slip rings in it that control when the wiper motor has power and when it doesn't. By getting the arm to jam mid way, it sounds like you have tweaked that slip ring assembly and broken it. Unfortunately, this will mean replacing the wiper motor. Not a tough job if you have some mechanical ability. But, if you take it to a shop, you can probably plan on spending about $500 to get it repaired.

Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
chirt (01-29-2014)
Old 01-29-2014, 09:38 PM

Thanks Thermo, I'll be sure to do that! I've always found myself ending up on the jag forums whenever i have any questions about these cars.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,
My 2002 X Type Sport just started to do the same. Did you resolve the problem with the wipers? Please let me know what parts you replaced.

Thanks

Old 03-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well this must be the year for the windshield wiper motors to quit. Wife was driving home in down pour last night and they just quit. Today we got hit with about 6 inches of the white stuff so haven't had chance to look at it.

I guess check fuse first but probably need the new motor. Any know best place to get them.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:20 AM
Exclamation

Well I never got a chance to resolve the issue. About a month ago, a jimmy john's delivery guy t-boned me when I was going about 50 mph and the car got totaled! I ended up buying a 2004 XJ8 to replace the X-type. If I were you, I would try the advice that thermo gave after you check the fuses, his logic seems sound.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Sorry to hear that Chirt,

Hope you get settled soon, without too much aggro? Stu

PS, for Ken and others who are looking for wipers and motors, re the motors:
Make sure you get an acknowledgement that states the motor is good to go and is in at least very good working order.

After searching for a wiper motor for our Grand Cherokee and finding out a lot of vendors/scrappers/dismantlers remove them from vehicles without checking them and they end up on ebay and amazon and the like, we had a real hussle.

Without any acknowledgement these suppliers sell you an item at exorbitant prices knowing that the real (NEW) McCoy is too expensive and when you find your delivery is NOT WHAT YOU EXPECTED!!!

They do not offer any comeback, protect yourselves good fellow members and demand that acknowledgement as you wont get a refund or a replacement without it.

I find ebay and amazon very good suppliers in general but there are wheeler-Yee-Haw-dealers out there for a fast buck and they don't care about you, its just your money!!!

Happy Days and look after each other? Regards, Stu

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 04-21-2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: + PS
Old 04-22-2014, 08:53 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well mine was the fuse as far as not running. I changed that but now she only runs fast or slow no intermittent so I guess I still have some kind of problem.

Anyone been able to fix this type of worry?

Old 04-22-2014, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts
Exclamation Here, Thermo answered you :)

Originally Posted by geewilicurs
Well mine was the fuse as far as not running. I changed that but now she only runs fast or slow no intermittent so I guess I still have some kind of problem.

Anyone been able to fix this type of worry?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...3-xtype-70036/