X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-Type Exhaust Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default X-Type Exhaust Upgrade

Hey, I was thinking about putting a catback after market exahust on my 02 X-type base. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Or recommendations?

Old 03-16-2013, 04:12 PM

It's a 3.0

Old 03-17-2013, 06:01 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

jaxam1, a lot of members have contemplated it, but you will find that no one makes a kit for your car. So, you are looking at a complete custom kit. Secondly, going with a kit like you are talking about, you are going to get about the same gains as if you just do the Mina muffler upgrade. The muffler upgrade takes about an hour to do and you can do it in your driveway (I have installed 2 there).

As for power gains, they will be minimal as the factory system is actually pretty good and they have squeeze most of the power out that you can possibly get. can you get more, of course, but you are looking at a few horses and that is about it. Kinda pricy from my view. Granted, if you are more interested in sound than power, then by all means go for it.

You may also find that it will be a little challenging as you will need to find a shop that can do the 45 degree entrance into the muffler due to the limited space behind the rear wheels of the Jag. Impossible, by no means. Just makes the options a lot more limited.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Indeed, these cars aren't exactly cheap or easy to tune.

If you are looking to enhance the exhaust sound, there are several alternatives (Adamesh, Arden, Borla, Mina Gallery, ...). I personally have experience with Adamesh and Mina Gallery.

These clips were recorded with an EOS 7D DSLR, on a non-zoom 85mm lens so the distance is practically identical.

This clip was recorded on a cell phone, placed on either the dashboard or on top of the rear bumper:

The following were not made by me.
There's one Arden clip on Youtube, just keep in mind that the Arden system costs ~2.5 times as much as the others.

Here's Borla:

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 03-17-2013 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Stupid youtube links getting all embedded and stuff.
The following 2 users liked this post by Aonsaithya:
ptaboy (02-06-2014), Stuart Beattie (02-02-2014)
Old 03-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I went with Borla, and the welded tips. Look great. If you change the tips, do weld, like the originals. don't use screw ons

Old 03-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I had Mina gallery on mine. I loved the sound and miss it now. You just cut off the existing mufflers and slide these on. Easy install and great sound. No drone either

Old 03-18-2013, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member

Oh, I just recalled this. I drove past a bus stop when leaving work one day and my colleague was on that bus stop (going in the other direction), so the day after I asked him out of curiosity what the exhaust note sounded like. He said it reminded him of a VW Golf Country! In all fairness, it's understandable as I usually use pretty low rpms, just like that time, and I was accelerating on 3rd gear from maybe 1500rpm. At such low rpms, the exhaust note of any car is of course not very well-defined (just a boom really).

So the morale of the story is; if you upgrade the exhaust and it becomes louder than original, you have to use lower gears when accelerating to make sure it sounds properly Jaguar-y to bystanders

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (02-02-2014)
Old 03-18-2013, 08:13 AM
Cool Responses

Awesome responses everybody. Thanks a lot. It really helps to communicate with people that have real world experience with these. If there is basically no gain, I think I will stay with the stock ones. I have lots of other things to spend money on. Thanks again.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

How did ya get your X to spin? Mine won't spin no matter how hard I get on it in snow and it self corrects in a slide real fast.I did get it to spin going up my drive when I turned off the DSC. Your video showed real hard rear wheel spin.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I am contemplating going with a magnaflow setup, same size as the stockers just replacements...what is our inlet pipe size on the x types? Or I guess the overall size?

Old 03-19-2013, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by billbjork
How did ya get your X to spin? Mine won't spin no matter how hard I get on it in snow and it self corrects in a slide real fast.I did get it to spin going up my drive when I turned off the DSC. Your video showed real hard rear wheel spin.
Not my video, the first three taken from the rear were mine. If you mean the snow-drifting video, the uploader commented on YouTube that he was on summer tires which means practically no traction whatsoever on snow.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Magnaflow mufflers and the Mina Gallery quad tips. I'm pleased, and the cost was reasonable.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:24 AM

Has anybody tried the gf chip?

Old 03-21-2013, 01:38 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxam1
Has anybody tried the gf chip?
X-type Chip - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 03-21-2013, 02:37 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Scam...

That is all
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 08-16-2013, 02:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about reviving this. I was wondering... what if I added these exhaust to my automatic x-type? lol. Will it sound stupid? I really like the sound of the Adamesh. BTW Aon, how did you get the wood grain steerwheel?

Old 08-16-2013, 04:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by snowman3
Sorry about reviving this. I was wondering... what if I added these exhaust to my automatic x-type? lol. Will it sound stupid? I really like the sound of the Adamesh. BTW Aon, how did you get the wood grain steerwheel?
Everything is the same on an automatic, except for the gearbox. The only impact an automatic gearbox has is that you have less control over what rpms you use -> how it sounds like.

I looked for a half-wooden steering wheel for about one year before finding one. They are fairly rare, since they weren't that common in the early cars and only available as used when one is broken up for parts. They are available new, but prices are between $650 and $1000 depending on country and shop.

The difficulty wasn't finding the right colour for the leather but rather finding one with matching wood. Not just the wood grain, but the stain as well. This is something that's extremely difficult to judge by photographs since camera settings, photo editing and the display you view the photo on all distort the colour. For example, I bought a wooden ashtray lid and gear surround from an automatic, which looked like a perfect match in the photos, yet as you can see in my signature pic they are noticeably lighter in tone than the rest of the veneer in the car.

When I finally found & bought a perfectly matching one on eBay, it had black leather so I had it re-trimmed in granite leather.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:49 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bracester
I am contemplating going with a magnaflow setup, same size as the stockers just replacements...what is our inlet pipe size on the x types? Or I guess the overall size?
I put MagnaFlows on my X and it sounds great. The sound actually got better with a little age, grew deeper. They were $70 per muffler on Ebay and they are much lighter and smaller than the stock mufflers. I believe the pipe diameter is 2.5" or 6.5cm. Here they are on the car.

Attached Thumbnails X-Type Exhaust Upgrade-img_20120917_142826_zps55c4d1a7.jpg  
Old 08-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

Actually I believe the stock pipe is 2 inch. Note that it would seem who ever installed your magnaflows (I'm guessing they had 2.5 inch inlets) also installed step down(up) pipe between the stock pipe and the mufflers. Not that there is anything wrong with that setup.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:57 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Justink, you're correct. The stock pipes on the X are 2" and the Magnaflows I bought have 2.5" intake pipe so the muffler shop made up adapters. If anyone is interested the Magnaflows I bought are model 11226. They should be 2 for $150.00. At the same time I replaced the tips with similar style to stock, but larger size.

The Mina and Borlas are on the order of double the cost or more, but they come with the tips, and will probably out last Magnaflows.

Attached Thumbnails X-Type Exhaust Upgrade-2011-05-01173204.jpg  

Last edited by Patterson; 08-18-2013 at 10:51 PM.

Quick Reply: X-Type Exhaust Upgrade