X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X type wont start after flat battery replaced

Old 04-21-2014, 03:11 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default X type wont start after flat battery replaced

Hi

Hope this is the right place to submit this. Although this appears to have been covered all over the net I can't find a definitive answer. I have an 05 reg 2.0d x type estate which was off the road for about 6 months during which time the battery went flat. I opened the door with the key in the lock and replaced the battery. Now everything lights up but no klick from the starter as if there is no feed to it. I have been advised it could be the immobiliser. Is there a way of resetting it at the car at home? If not how do I reset the immobiliser to the key. I have read it needs to go to Jaguar but of course I can't start it to get it there ??
The other option would be to fit a push button starter to provide a feed to the starter when the ignition is on, would this work? I have two keys and neither will start it now.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Nick.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

You have a GREAT CAR, but sorry to hear your anguish.

As a rule on the forum, can you go to:

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
and introduce yourself?
Regarding the key programming, try this link:
http://www.bluejag.co.uk/X-Type-keyf...rogramming.php

have you actually checked the battery voltage as low battery can lead to allsorts of gliches when the car could be FINE?

I would definately try the links above and ask a neighbour for a jump start, if the engine can be started you will then find out the real issue if there is one?

If the humming is heard., when you try to start, there is life so a light tap of the starter whilst you are trying the ignition with a brush pole (or something wooden or plastic) may help, but do not strike it with a metal instrument and I mean lightly, that is to say if you think the starter is jammed and you will need 2 persons for this?

personally, i would wait until you have the engine started before going to any garage and this should save you bucks, GOOD LUCK!!!

Regards, Stu, keep us posted please and I'll look out for your response?

Old 04-21-2014, 03:50 AM

Hi Stuart, thanks for the prompt response. Sorry thought I had been to the New Members Area and completed it. Will check again. I have fitted a brand new fully charged battery so I know that's ok. It was fine prior to the old battery going flat but now there is nothing. Everything works fine except when I turn the key to final start position. Not even a click?? Have tried the key programming sequence and nothing happened. All wires cables tight, have tried tapping the starter and rocking the car in gear still nothing. Really need to get it going now as I have been off the road for 6 months following a liver transplant and was just looking forward to getting mobile again and now my car is ill .

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member

Hi again, Nick,
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR RECOVERY!!!

I suspect that something is up and I am curious as to where we are looking?

We are not getting a click for the solenoid so it must be the electrics, did you have any symptoms of a possible issue with the EGR valve, blocked fuel pump or faulty fuel injectors, or anything else the last time you drove and when was that, has the car been started at all recently?

You say all the lights flicker, are there any warning lights at all and can you move the
gear stick at all?

When you have time, I would add your car details to your signature so members can see what you are driving, it also adds to you getting the right advice, petrol, deisel, year, engine size etc?

If the car has immobilised when you try to move gears, the ECU probably wont let you and you'll get beep beep beep like an alarm clock.

It may sound silly, but I would be absolutely tempted to do another hard reset by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it and starting again.
I feel it is something minor, but it's obviously interfering!

Once you are started, i would source an OBDII scanner to read the fault codes and report back and go from there!

All the guys here are friendly and love to help, hang in there!!!
Good Luck!! You will get there!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-help-114388/

Regards, Stu

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 04-21-2014 at 05:38 AM. Reason: addition thanks to GGG :)
Old 04-23-2014, 03:17 AM

Thanks for your advice so far. Basically prior to being off the road the car ran perfectly. No problems, no lights flashing and no warning messages. Since being off the road the battery went totally flat to the extent that it could only be unlocked manually with the key and the ignition lights didn't even illuminate with the ignition on. Just as if no battery was attached. The battery was fully charged, everything lit up as it should but no life from the starter on the final turn of the key. A new battery was installed and no change. So when I turn the ignition to II position everything lights up as it should, no warning messages etc, then when I turn it to III position it does nothing. It's as if there is no + feed going to the solenoid hence my assumption it is the immobiliser. I have thought of putting a separate feed to the solenoid attached to a push switch so I can bypass the immobiliser. Would this work?

Stuart Beattie (04-25-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

I can't advise there Nick,

Help, someone is listening!!

I'd go for that OBDII as the codes will help dramatically in deducing what is the exact issue or damn near to it!!
Hang in there! Stu

Old 04-23-2014, 03:34 PM

Have spoken to Jaguar today, they advised it's a common problem if the battery is left to go totally flat. Something about the car losing the memory of the chip in the key. they advised to turn the ignition on and leave it on for 25min then turn off and start it. it should then start. If not it's a main dealer job. So will try that tomorrow now. Will keep you posted.

The following 2 users liked this post by nickmcd:
DaveJessop (05-22-2018), Stuart Beattie (04-25-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Interesting. That seems odd though. It sounds like if you leave it in the on position long enough it relearns the key. If that's the case, then if someone would steal the car and not have a key all they would have to do is get a new key, and wait for it to program itself. Must be more to it than that. How ever it works, I hope it ends up simple for you. Good luck.

Stuart Beattie (04-29-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

Nick,

Try this post, the title is not intended for you, I named it after myself and Idiot-Guide is a well used expression in some parts of the UK!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ey-ecu-116271/
Good Luck!
Stu

Old 04-25-2014, 07:16 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Yes Yes reprogram the both fobs yourself. The security system is touch in these cars, Just the other day mine wouldn't turn over and the security lite was flashing. I just turned it off let it sit for a minute the it restarted. Probably because I had the battery disconnected the day before. Garage will charge you $100.00 and you can do it for free just follow the instructions in the previous link from Stuart.I have done it several times.

Stuart Beattie (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

Cheers Bill,

A hard reset by disconnecting the battery solves a lot of guessing too, I appreciate your input, Good Luck Nick, Stu

Old 04-26-2014, 03:47 AM

Well tried the jaguar option of leaving the ignition on for 25mins, both keys no change. Tried the reprogramming as per Stuart's advise, still no luck. Car locks and unlocks no problem with the fob but still wont start. Looks like its going to have to be the main dealer at £140 first hour then £70 hour if not solved + of course the cost of transportation.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,757 Likes on 12,146 Posts

As the battery is new, fully charged and the dash is lighting up as expected, have you checked the main battery cables?

A reported fault on petrol models is the connectors loosen or begin to break up. No reason to think the diesel models should be any different:

X type wont start after flat battery replaced-x-type-battery-leads.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

A loose or partially broken cable allows sufficient current for the dash lights etc but is inadequate to operate the starter motor.

Graham

Old 04-27-2014, 03:54 AM

Hi graham thanks for that. Yes checked all cables all clean and tight. Also put a live feed direct to the starter and it turns over but wont fire up. Checked the fuel pump while turning over and there is no fuel feed either. Hence my belief it is the immobiliser. It not only cuts power to the starting system but also cuts power to the fuel supply.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

The video posted is for reprogramming remotes. It won't help with reprogramming a key. I also do not think the immobilizer is your problem. If like the dealership claims the problem is "common", then it's the main ECU that's forgotten the chip on the actual keys. The fact you can use your remote to open and close the doors are proof it's not a security issue.

I know this sounds obvious, but are you sure the car is on P? (Park) if it's a automatic??

If the problem is indeed the chip in the key, any independent garage with the Jaguar software should be able to reprogram your keys to the car. My independent mechanic reprogrammed mine with a briefcase sized machine, so if someone if close to you they may even be able to do it in your own garage.

Good luck

Stuart Beattie (04-29-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 04:30 AM

Thanks for that advice. Its actually a manual so the P wont effect it in my case. However I will now look for a local garage who can reprogram as jaguar are talking silly money.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member

X-Type 2.0L Diesel Starter Motor Failures

Nick, try this post of our sister site?

Your starter has no click, so this is the way to go, bt the way have you tried a jump start?

This is getting complicated and I am sorry to hear your problem, GOOD LUCK, BY JOVE! Stu

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/dual-mass-flywheels/

DMF, dual mass flywheel could be the issue as it affects starting, I am trying Nick Stu

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 04-29-2014 at 05:20 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,
I'm new to Jaguars and to the Forum, but have the self same issue. I got the 2.0d (on an 06 plate), on Tuesday. Happy as Larry...
Car ran beautifully for 3 days, then on Friday the starter was sluggish and no fire up. I figured I'd caught the interior light or something, so used my old car (Swedish competition sorry)....
Charged the battery up overnight last night as jump starting did nothing and the starter had refused to entertain a turn on Saturday.
Now with a fully charged battery, I get no life from the starter. The dash lights up totally as normal, but nothing other than the hum of the fuel pump. The key fob operates the locks and all seems above board, but not even a hint of the starter kicking off.
Any suggestions please?

Old 05-07-2017, 01:02 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart Beattie
Hi Nick.

Regarding the key programming, try this link:
Jaguar X Type Information - Program Remote Key Fob

Regards, Stu, keep us posted please and I'll look out for your response?
This is for programming the remote fob only. To program the chip requires JLR/SDD mongoose.
If the remote fob now locks and unlocks the car and the key turns on the ignition I would suggest it could be, as suggested, the starter motor.
As these cars do not have electric fuel pumps the hum is not that. It is probably the heater.

Roger

Mr Stone (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Rchiv.
I'll see if the "gentle thump" on the starter solanoid coaxes life into it tomorrow. If not I expect I'm about to get an unpleasant bill and a half.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: X type wont start after flat battery replaced