X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type wouldn't move

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-type wouldn't move

Hi all, I've been driving my X-type for a while now with a couple bad noises that keep getting worse. Grinding, wub wub, looseness in the stearing wheel, shaking and noise when letting off gas at times..

So the other morning I'm driving to work, and the car really doesn't seem to like the cold, the noises sound worse. Stopped at a red light, put the car in gear, let out the clutch, and all of the sudden a semi-loud "Pop!" and the car won't move. It is in 1st gear, foot off clutch, and revving the engine, going nowhere. So I try for a few minutes getting it to move, put it in 2nd and 3rd. Nothing. I haven't turned it off yet its just been running, I push it off to the side with the help (finally) of a passerby. Turn the car off, let it sit a minute, turn it on, put it in gear and off I go. Haven't driven more than 20 feet since then, because I'm scared of getting broke down on. Any one have any idea what could be at fault? I've searched but haven't found any answers. Thinking bearings in the transfer case..? Or perhaps a complete Drive shaft replacement.. any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 11-19-2014, 03:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

If you can move the car now and it wouldn't move before, then it isn't the transfer case. If that let loose on you, it would make some nasty metal grinding noises when you roll it around in neutral (assuming it would roll at all as some members found out). From the sounds of things, your clutch was slipping really bad and/or got stuck in the clutch in condition. Without actually touching the car, it is hard to say what is going on.

I would say to get in the car with a friend following. Get the car home (or as far as it will go) and then take things from there. May want to just drop it off at a shop vice taking it home. see what they say.