X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Jaguar X-type Heated front seats not working......Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Jaguar X-type Heated front seats not working......Help!

Hello,

I am new to the forum and would like to thank those who have welcomed me. I recently purchased a 02 x-type 3.0 last winter. The driver and passenger seats are heated and worked great last year, however we have been having some chilly mornings here in PA and the driver seat is not heating up anymore. I read some where that the heat control module could be bad so I unplugged the passenger seat one and hook up to driver side and got nothing. I am not sure what fuses or relays to check. Has anyone else had this problem...ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

THANKS

Old 10-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

There are no relays involved. The only fuse that is dedicated to the LH seat heater is

F66, 30A, in the passenger glove box fuse panel.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

babyjag, just to ask a silly question, when you push the button on the dash, does the light remain on on the button? If yes, then your problem is in the actually heating elements of the seat (common for the heating element to develop an open and would need to be repaired/replaced). If the light does not come on, then you are looking at a bad seat module or a blown fuse.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:32 AM

Astromorg thanks for the reply, I will check that fuse as soon as I get home tonight.

Thermo, when I press the button to turn the heat on the seats the light appears on the dash (red for hot and yellowish for medium) but there is no heat. I am assuming that the heating element has toasted it's last set of buns. Any other options...fix???

And I thought this was gonna be easy!

Thanks guys

Old 10-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

You may well be right, but don't give up yet!!

Accessibility is awkward and you might have to unbolt the seat, but first, check that the four way grey connector to the seat heater module, under the seat, is clean and tight.
If that makes no difference, then, if you've got a meter, check if there is a 12v supply available at Green/Black wire in that same 4 way grey connector - remember it can only be live when switched on and the engine is running. This check should be done with the connector properly connected or the lack of the temperature sensor (White and Brown wires) may cause misleading values. Insert a fine sewing needle into the wire and measure the voltage between there and a good earh/ground.
Similarly, check the continuity of the Black wire in the grey connector to a known good earth/ground.
On the seat side of the connector, with it disconnected, check the continuity of the heater elements by measuring the resistance between Pins 1 and 4 (Where the Green/Black and Black wires connect to)
Finally, with the connector still disconnected, measure the continuity/resistance between Pins 2 and 3 on the seat side to check that the sensor is not open circuit.

Depending on what you find, I hope a course of action should be more definite!

Old 10-24-2012, 12:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

babyjag, the seat heater is a thin metal band that is laid into the seat between the foam and the leather. To fix this, you have 2 options. You can get a new heating element or you can attempt a repair. Either way, you are going to end up dismantling the seat and stripping the leather off of the seat. This will expose a cloth liner with the metal banding in it. If you look at the cloth, you may see some black/brown spots. That is where the metal banding was developing high resistances and a lot of the heat was concentrated. You can remove this cloth completely and put in a new one, or if you have some soldering skills, you can go to each of these brown marks, use a small piece of wire and solder a jumper across these spots. Either way, you willl then reassemble the seat and you should be good to go.

There is a 3rd option, but involves buying new seats. Kinda overkill, but if you can not do the repairs yourself, may be the cheaper alternative if you can find a set of used seats.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:30 AM

Astromorg, I went ahead and checked all the fuses you mentioned and they were still good. I was hoping one was shot! I will attempt to remove seat this weekend and check wires and connectivity as you suggested. Thanks for the quick replies this forum is great!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:33 AM

Thermo,

I am will be checking wires and connectivity this weekend as Astromorg suggested hopefully I will not have to revert to a full dismantle of seat and leather but if all looks good I guess I have no other option. Might start browsing Ebay now...LOL

Thanks for all the input.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I am having the same problem that I have not tested yet.

Why not just replace the element that is bad. There are several companies that sell just replacement elements. They are only about $100 a set.

I agree fixing first would be cheaper but to buy a whole seat is a joke.

Another question wouldn't just the bottom or back be out if it was a broken wire, or are they wired in series?

Old 10-04-2013, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by kccode1
I know this is an old thread, but I am having the same problem that I have not tested yet.

Why not just replace the element that is bad. There are several companies that sell just replacement elements. They are only about $100 a set.

I agree fixing first would be cheaper but to buy a whole seat is a joke.

Another question wouldn't just the bottom or back be out if it was a broken wire, or are they wired in series?
hello,
I am experiencing seat heater problems and believe I need to change the elements. Who are the companies selling elements for $100 for a Xtype Jaguar charges about $300
thanks

Old 10-05-2013, 02:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

frujag if you need new elements then it may be worth just replacing the seats. I have replaced the seats in my car before due to a motor mount breaking for my power seats, welds breaking on my drivers seat and play in the tracks of my seat. I kinda let each problem slide until the last straw, which was when my motor mount broke. In the end I went on kijiji and found a guy in Toronto selling the pair of seats in better condition than mine for $100. I bought it and swapped the seats in my driveway. After connecting all the wires I noticed the new seats had a button which mine didn't have. It was the lumbar support button. I was always shocked for a fully loaded vehicle like a jag to not have one. Regardless after connecting all the wires I found under my seat to the new seat I now have lumbar support.

Now if you cant find a new seat on kijiji, or from a wrecker in your area I know of a place in Thornhill (close to Toronto) its called Berkshire Motors. They have (as of last week) 4 of these cars on there lot for scrap and a trailer full of parts. Maybe you can contact them for a price and maybe make the drive down and have it swapped out. Now I doubt they would sell you a seat for $100, maybe $200 or so, but doesn't hurt to try and call.

The following users liked this post:
frujag (10-08-2013)
Old 10-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by frujag
hello,
I am experiencing seat heater problems and believe I need to change the elements. Who are the companies selling elements for $100 for a Xtype Jaguar charges about $300
thanks
All I did was take the seat apart and soldier a small piece of wire across the area that the element was burnt. It was right were it goes over one of the rods in the upholstery.

If you really want a new element. Just google seat heaters. Any two wire element will work. Just make sure you wire it the same.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by kccode1
All I did was take the seat apart and soldier a small piece of wire across the area that the element was burnt. It was right were it goes over one of the rods in the upholstery.

If you really want a new element. Just google seat heaters. Any two wire element will work. Just make sure you wire it the same.
hello, I see you took the seat apart. Where do I find instructions on how to do this. I have removed the driver seat and do not know where to start taking the seat apart. I have tested my Jaguar x type wagon 2005 with a seat of an other jag, and the heat worked. So we know that we need to change the heater element or find a second hand seat which could be the best solution. I will try the Jag dealer in Thornhill
Thanks for any guidance you can provide.
Frujag