X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 X-Type Radio Removal and Question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 X-Type Radio Removal and Question...

Does anyone have any instructions on radio removal with wiring diagrams - if available? I am a MECP Installer and trying to save some time on this car. I always try to have instructions on vehicles like this prior to just going in there and guessing.

Also, has anyone had any issues getting a double din Nav to fit in there? I have seen a few double din kits in the past, but can't find any now. So if someone knows where I can get one, please let me know.

Sorry if this has been posted already. I searched for awhile but couldnt find anything.

Thanks...

Old 02-25-2009, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome

I can't say I've seen any wiring diagrams for the radio since I've been on the site. Go to metra's website (for the dash kit) and type in the info. From what I can remember the part number 99-9500 cost was around $30. The kit comes with instructions for radio removal. Only snag you'll run into is the kit metra sells is for 03-newer dashes (which are generally silver-ish color instead of black.) If you need further help pm me and I'll see what I can find. Hardest part seemed to be getting everything lined up properly after taking the necessary pieces off. If you'd like I can link you to pics of what it looks like in a 2002?

Last edited by aquill1; 02-25-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:06 AM

Thanks for the reply. I was surprised to see that they sell wiring adaptors for the vehicle on ebay...didn't expect that. I assumed that I'd have to hardwire into the factory radio harness.

That issue aside, I am going to try and find a kit that wouldn't involve painting at all. The dash in the vehicle is black. I have seen single din kits on ebay, but they are for $50 and listed for 02-07. I can work on laying the pieces up after time.

If you already have pictures, I'd definately appreciate them. All in all, was it a difficult job? I am just very borderline on changing the radio out, but really want a double din navi in there. i have a single din avic n2 in my 4wd blazer and love it. I'd just prefer the stationary double din if possible.

Take care.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

If you'll notice the dash kit was actually painted that silver color. It probably would have matched the dash quite well if they didn't paint it. The dash kits your seeing on ebay are the dash kit below (metra 99-9500.) If I were you I'd make my own dash kit. Racerx82 had some that he made when he had his x-type. Try getting in touch with him as he probably has pics and may just have a dash kit laying around. Like I said though I paid less than $30 IIRC (from a shop that charges $20 a wiring harness.) They had to order the dash kit as no shop has them in stock but it only took a few days. I only installed the dash kit/bought it for another guy on here.

To take the radio apart you have to remove 2 screws (iirc) from the ash tray to remove the ash tray. Pop off the top piece of plastic above the climate control and remove the screws behind that little panel. You will see everything else you have to do once those 2 pieces are removed. The entire radio mounts on a cage with the climate control.

Does your car have the basic radio/cd player or does it have the premium system in it?

I don't know of any wiring harness that ebay sells for our cars. You'll have to either have to hard-wire or go to nexxia.co.uk and buy a wiring harness and antenna adapter from them (walmart has a special antenna kit that has like 8 different types of antenna connectors you could try.) If you have the amplified/premium/alpine system I would buy the wiring harness from them.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Be sure to protect the shifter area with a soft cloth or towel while removing the radio/hvac assembly. Sharp corners....

It's an easy job. A guy on here, I think his name is Dennis (there are a couple "Dennis" handles on the board) has a nice setup with pics.....

Old 02-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

Good point on covering the shifter Chris. I forgot about that. Mine got cut up pretty bad. You could also remove the shifter knob and the shifter cover ring thing as well. The cover just pops up when you pull up on it and the knob just screws off.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts

read my thread i have the whole set up

Attached Thumbnails 02 X-Type Radio Removal and Question...-001.jpg  
Old 03-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Default thanks all

thanks for the help everyone...im sure i will be good to go now...just lookin for the dash kit. i did read that the Metra 99-9500 can be used for a single din or double din radio install which is perfect. I would assume that divider in the middle (originally intended to separate the single din and pocket) can be removed or cut out of the way to allow the install of a double din.

Dennis: That dash looks wicked. I am definately going to switch to a double din from the Avic-N2 (single din) I have in my SUV. Besides, the g/f likes the N2 in there so she is going to use that. I DO have a question though on the double din installation.....did you have any issues with clearance behind the radio? I heard a story about someone having a hard time getting the Double DIN Navi to fit in the radio bay.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:45 AM

ya, i would much rather find a wiring harness too if possible. I'm not too concerned with the antenna if it is standard with just a weird tip since you can cut them and splice it with an OEM tip like a cable wire.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:52 PM

I was actually able to find some sweet instructions on dash disassembly off of metra's website while looking for the dash kit.

http://documents.victorytechnologies...duct/12273.pdf

...just in case anyone wants it...

Old 05-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

Hey mate,
It's really easy to use the search function. All you have to do is go up (nearly to the top of the page.) There will be a black bar that says "Search", hit that and the dropdown box has some options. If you want to search for a certain user click on the advanced section. Once the advanced screen pops up you should see a section where it says "Search by username." If you type in the persons username you can search all posts or by all threads the person has started.

If you hate to learn new things here's the link to his install!

Hey Dennis what dash kit is that? If you wanted something that matched up better to the dash check this one out, it matches the dash material in finish and is flush to the dash but isn't the same color. (BTW it only costs $20-30 but you'd have to paint it to match your dash color.)