X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 x type will crank but wont start, help

Old 05-16-2009, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 03 x type will crank but wont start, help

Vehicle was working fine yesterday. Went to start today, it turned on for 2-3 seconds, hesitated, then turned off. Now, it will crank, but will not start. Fuel cut off switch is pushed in. Good battery, plenty of fuel, key unlocks and locks doors. Dash display reads "cruise control unavailable" after cranking. All fuses are good. Disconnected battery and let sit, to no avail. Need some Help. Jim

Old 05-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Check your fuel pressure. You'll need a high pressure fuel gage.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jamlaw125
Vehicle was working fine yesterday. Went to start today, it turned on for 2-3 seconds, hesitated, then turned off. Now, it will crank, but will not start. Fuel cut off switch is pushed in. Good battery, plenty of fuel, key unlocks and locks doors. Dash display reads "cruise control unavailable" after cranking. All fuses are good. Disconnected battery and let sit, to no avail. Need some Help. Jim
I've had this happen to me and it was the battery. It was oxidizing. Make sure you inspect the battery and the clamps and clean them real good with baking soda and water.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:54 PM

disconnected battery and charged it up, didn't take long, battery very strong. cleaned contacts, reconnected, same thing, will crank, wont start, thanks for the reply though.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:02 PM

i also sprayed starting fluid into the intake to see if the engine would turn over during cranking, to no avail.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

If the engine didn't try to fire using starting fluid, I would suspect you have no spark.

You can check fuse F92 in the central junction box. This single fuse feeds 12V power to all six ignition coils. If the fuse is OK, I'd suggest checking for spark by pulling one of the coils, connecting it to a spare spark plug that is grounded to the engine somewhere, and observing for spark while cranking.

If no spark, you can do basic signal tracing to make sure you really have 12 volts to the coils. Other possible causes of no spark include a faulty crankshaft position sensor or a faulty ECM.

Good luck and please report back what you've found.

Mark

Old 05-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,820 Likes on 3,141 Posts

jamlaw, I gave you a pretty detailed troubleshooting flowchart to follow on your other post. If you need more help, just hollar. I didn't mention Fuse #92, but that would also be 1 more thing to check.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Default fuse 92

found the central junction box, under driver's dash. unfortunately by x type did not come with an owners manual. have tried to download the one available on this site, no avail. Can you tell me which one is fuse 92, or send me a schematic, thanx.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:20 AM
Veteran member

jamlaw, what is your e-mail addy? I will send you all the owners manuals to your addy. As for the location of Fuse #92, look at the fuse box, with the relays at the top of the box (large square boxes), look at the bottom row of fuses. Starting in the bottom left corner, you will see 2 fuses side by side, a spot that is blank (looks like a fuse should go there, but there are no terminals), and then you have fuse #92.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:56 PM

this is my email, jamlaw125@hotmail.com or jamlaw125@yahoo.com , thanx

Old 09-13-2009, 05:16 PM

First off, thanx for all your help, i feel like i know alittle more about my jaguar. I feel silly, since my used x type came with no manual. I assumed the fuse box was the one I located in the engine compartment. Until yesterday, I did not know there was one under the dash by the driver's side. Needless to say, after your directions on how to get there, I found the fuse, and sure enough, it was blown. I replaced it, and it turned on. What a goof, if it wasn't so sad, so much time and money spent, i would be laughing out loud. Anyway, thank you for you all's help. When i first had this problem, i didn't know where to look until I found this forum. Good day, from south Texas, James.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Veteran member

drk280, I would simply replace the fuse and monitor the car. If fuses are run near their limit for a long period of time, they have a tendency to loose their rating (due to the metal strip running hot and isolated portions actually failing) and will over time naturally blow. As long as the fuse doesn't blow in the next month or so, smile and move on. But, if the fuse blows again, then you have a component that is starting to go. If it fails after hitting a bump, then you most likely are looking at a wire bundle that is loose and has damaged the insulation and is therefore coming in contact with the metal body, leading to your over current condition. This can be difficult to isolate as you have to hand over hand the wire bundles in the car and feel for a rough spot in the insulation. If you want more on this, let me know.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:21 AM
Default Need some help

Hi Thermo, I,ve been trying to contact you, but I cann,t find a way to pm you. What am I missing ? LOL

Old 06-14-2015, 06:42 AM
Veteran member

95xtype3.0, what is your issue? Put it up here, that way others may be able to get some help from it in the future.

On a side note, you cannot do a PM until you have atleast 10 posts on the site.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:57 PM

I didn,t want to hi-jack this thread with my problem. LOL
I was wondering why I couldn,t pm you. Thanks for that answer.
I,ve got a 2005 x type 3.0 with 30,000 miles on it. It,s actually my wifes car.
We,re both retired, so she doesn,t drive it much.
Anyhow, she drove it into the garage, and a couple of days later, she went to go to town, and it cranks over, but will not start.
The dash lights up, and it says gearbox fault, Pecus error E.
Here,s what I,ve looked at so far.
Map sensor , fuel shut off switch, fuel pressure is good, and there is fire, as I sprayed a bit of brake clean thru the map sensor hole and it certainly lit up with a nice pop.
It,s been a fantastic car, this is the first problem we have had in 10 years of owning it.
Any ideas of what it might be ?
Any help would be much appreciated. She is now driving a bare bones miata, and really wants her Jag back. LOL

Old 06-14-2015, 07:45 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

95x-type3.0,
Do you still have the original battery? A weak or failing battery could cause symptoms such as those you are seeing. The fact that is sat for a couple of days unused could be another clue that points to a weak battery.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:52 PM

Thanks for the reply.Brand new battery this spring. It turns the engine over rapidly, pops as if it,s going to start the odd time, but will not run.
Any idea what the messages are trying to tell us ?
One thing I forgot to mention, I tried a different ecu, and then put my original one back in it.
Is there some sort of procedure to go thru once the ecu has been removed and re-installed ?
I initially removed it cause I read that some had corrosion inside under the cover, but mine looked brand spanking new.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 x type will crank but wont start, help