X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 X-Type Door locks and trunk lock stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 04 X-Type Door locks and trunk lock stopped working

This is a strange one, my key fob(s) stopped locking andunlocking all doors and the boot. They do still activate and deactivate thealarm system. When I use the key to lock or unlock the door(s) it only works onthe driver door and none other, also the doors no longer auto lock at 5mph andI am unable to open the trunk (boot). I have read through some posts hereand have replaced batteries and reprogramed the fobs and I have also triedresetting the auto-lock feature. I have a car in the United States and most ofthe posts or videos I see for reprograming all seem to be British (right handdrive) cars and was wondering if the instructions might be different sine Idon't always here a confirmation tone during or after programing? In any eventI am not sure if this is a fob issue or may be an issue with a locking module(if the car has one)? The only fuse reference in the manual is F22 and therehas never been a fuse there since I bought the car new in 2004. All door locksneed to be locked/unlocked manually and the key will only work for the driver’sdoor. I am hoping some out here will be able to shed some light on this issue.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:07 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Jack, first things first. when you attempt to lock/unlock the doors, are you turning the key once or twice? With this car and the driver's door, if you turn the key once, it will only lock/unlock the driver's door. If you do it twice, it will do all doors. Kinda like if you hold the key in the lock position for 3 (?) seconds, it will also roll up all windows. If this does not work, then you have an issue.

You don't mention that your wipers are acting funny, so, that tells me that fuse F22 is good and you don't have a loss of power to the GEM Module. So, from what you are describing, it is sounding like you have an internal failure of your GEM module. If you had a loss of CAN bus to the GEM module, this would affect the ability to remotely lock/unlock the car and the auto-drive off locking functions. But, it would not explain the key in the door problem or not being able to lock all doors by taking the driver's door lock to lock/unlock. So, this pretty much puts you back to a bad GEM module.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:09 PM
Veteran member

Jack, just to make sure, if you look in the driver's door jam, you will see the build sticker for your car. On that, it has the built month/year. Your car was built after March 2004, correct? This will mean that you have the newer electrical arrangement in your car. If it was built before April 2004, then you have the old harnesses and F22 is not related to your problem.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:06 AM

Thank you for the reply Thermo, the build is 04/04 and I have no issues with the wipers. I have tried turning the key 2 times and that only has effect on the drivers door, none of the other doors lock or unlock when doing so. From what you are saying it is probably a bad GEM module? If that is the case would this be something I could replace myself or is it best for me to bring to my local dealer?

Old 03-26-2017, 02:06 PM
Veteran member

Jack, from what I remember, the GEM module can be replaced with no need for a visit to the dealership. the big thing that you will have to do is to find a car that has a good GEM module that was built around the same time as your car. If you look at the GEM module, you will see a number on it that should start with "4x43". This will indicate that it is from a second generation X-Type. You will potentially see some GEMs that start with "1x43". This would be from a first gen X-Type. The other thing that you will want to look for is the very end of the number that starts with "4x43". This should be 2 letters. You will want to find a GEM module with these same letters. These letters are the version number. You match up this number on the GEM module and you should be golden.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:33 PM

Thank you, this is great information but I must admit I am anovice at this and do apologize. I had searched online and found a picture (pic #1) of the one Ibelieve needs to be replace (although for gen 1x43) and when searching my car, theonly module I could find with the 4x43 was located in the cabin on the drivers side behind the gaspedal (pic #2). Am I looking at the correct module?
PIC #1

PIC #2

Old 04-03-2017, 05:43 PM

Thank you, this is great information but I must admit I am anovice at this and I apologize. I had searched online and found a picture (pic #1)of the one I believe needs to be replace (although gen 1x43) and when searchingmy car, the only module I could find with the 4x43 was located in the cabin onthe driver’s side behind the gas pedal (pic #2). Is this the correct module Iam looking at?
PIC #1

PIC #2

Attached Thumbnails 04 X-Type Door locks and trunk lock stopped working-pic-1.jpg   04 X-Type Door locks and trunk lock stopped working-pic-2.jpg  
Old 04-13-2017, 07:03 AM
Received 136 Likes on 79 Posts

Before you get crazy trying to troubleshoot, check this out!

Please note, this affected the manual operation of locks using the key as well as using the remote.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-work-178546/

Last edited by RudyF6; 04-13-2017 at 07:09 AM.