X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 X-TYPE oil pan gasket FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Is there something I am overlooking here?"
Yes, 18 posts on how to deal with the oil pan gasket. See above.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,

You had written to remove that hidden oil pan bolt in an x type, there is a modified craftsman distributor wrench tool from sears? That would be a gift from the gods!! Do you have any more info on this tool from Sears? Would really appreciate your help

Tom

Old 04-21-2012, 07:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I discovered small drops of oil under my 03 X-Type and took it to the mechanic yesterday. I have the same issue. He tried to tighten but because of the metal part of the gasket it's just not going to resolve the issue. He quoted me $750 (I'm in N.Y. in the U.S.) for the job and indicated that the part was only $35 and the rest was labor. It could be lower if the job takes less time. This is my reg. mechanic who only works on Jag, Mercedes and Volvo. Should I try for a lower quote elswere, or just go with him?? Does this seem like too much to replace an oil pan gasket? Thanks!

Old 04-22-2012, 08:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dear Blake,

To replace the oil pan is not an easy job, becuse of a hidden bolt under your transfer case.
As I wrote here, I saw a special handmade tool for hidden bolt, but my opinion is; more easy to drill out the bracket of transfer case to access that bolt. It is not an official way , but gasket replacement will be about two hours instead of two days. Be carefull not to hurt the real TC house.

Or, if you have manual gearbox with several miles in your clutch, you should follow official way to drop out transfer box and when transfer box out, you can check and replace the clutch, master cylinder, oil pan seal and crankshaft seal if needed. Clutch needs replacement after 100.000miles at average use. Because of you have to remove TC again for clutch replacement, better to do them in one, if you pland to keep your car for years.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:06 AM

I did this job myself recently. I did not drill any holes to get to that hidden bolt like most say to do. I used a 10 MM open end wrench and bent it a few degrees. This allowed me to get enough of the tip of the wrench onto the bolt for a good bite. I then used vice-grips on the opposite side of the wrench and it broke free easily. Your mechanic is giving you a good price for replacement since it is at least a 10 hour job. You can certainly do it yourself if you have decent do it yourself skills.

The following users liked this post:
tony2u (05-12-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

You removed way to much stuff. Drill a hold in the T-Box, not a great idea. There's other ways to get that bolt out. I personally use a distributer wrench, then finger F#4K it out it's place. Cutting the hole in the TBox is the reason Jaguar cut the labor time down a lot, guys were doing this. They found out this when T-Box cores were returned, not because of the drilling, but because they failed for other reasons.

Originally Posted by stevis05
ok so i posted a few weeks ago about this topic. got a few helpful tips and a few snotty responses. in the end, heres what i can give back to anyone who read my original thread about changing the gasket cause they wanna save money and do it themselves. it is possible but read closely, and determine for your self what way you wanna go.

JAGUAR X-TYPE OIL PAN GASKET REPLACEMENT

While car is parked open hood and remove the following:

BATTERY AND BOX

open the battery box and remove the cover
remove battery holder bracket and nuts
hold the bolts for the bracket and pop away from battery box (pull straight away from battery box)
then slide them down, and out away from battery box
remove terminal wires, take out battery
unclip battery box sensor located on the back side of box in middle
remove the box by lifting up (be cautious of breather hose from stock battery. it is fed through the box underneath in two spots and goes up the outside the box nearest the water pump belt. this has to come out before the box. to do this slide breather hose down from the side first with a thin Philips head screwdriver. then feed it through the two bottom holes. box comes right out)

AIR FILTER AND BOX

remove air filter
unclip hose clamp from manifold to air intake tube (the bendy rubber part)
unclip maf sensor on side of air intake tube
remove top of air box, intake tube and maf as one unit
remove the two screws inside of air box
remove the two screws outside of air box that screw into the valve covers
remove the screw holding the charcoal filter to air box
holding the sides of r box lift straight up gently, you will feel a pop. this is a holder on the bottom of the air box that presses into a grommet. just pops in and out, to center the air box and better hold it
once popped out of grommet it slides straight up and off of air inlet tubes (the ones that stick out in front of radiator) this is a little tricky but its simple

TIRES

loosen lug nuts then jack up car
remove tires

RADIATOR SUPPORT BRACKET

remove access cover from both sides of inner wheel wells
Remove radiator splash shield (big black piece across whole front end)
drain coolant (drain plug on lower hose connector)
remove lower hose passenger side (remove clip and wiggle plastic piece away from holder)
remove upper hose to T style connector (top of thermostat housing) right side
remove hose from other side of T connector (remove the bolt from hose to wire harness bracket. remove clip and wiggle plastic away from holder)
remove aluminum hose to thermostat housing (starts next to oil filter, goes up to the T connecter and connects below thermostat housing)
remove the four bolts on each side of radiator support bracket (they are up above the bumper but three can be removed with socket and 8” extension, and get the fourth with a ratchet and deep socket with no extension on both sides)
remove black metal plate above air inlet tube (two screw connect to the air inlet tube)
remove inlet tube now that radiator can be slightly lowered without support bracket

COOLING FAN ASSEMBLY

underneath air box is a wiring harness bracket(it has that rubber grommet for the air box attached to it). its held on by two small nuts, remove them
remove the wiring harness from the plastic clips that are underneath the air intake tube and are now exposed
DON’T remove the clips from the bracket
reposition the whole bracket with wires attached on top of the valve cover(be careful, its not gonna go far, hook it on the screw that’s sticking up on the valve cover
disconnect the two wiring clips for the cooling fan located on drivers side of radiator in the module for fan
the cooling fan is held on by four holders on the radiator. to remove fan, lift up and slide out of all four connectors, move assembly towards motor and gently slide down and out of car through the underneath.
TAKE CAUTION!!!!!!! it is a very tight squeeze!! failure to use caution will ruin your radiator!!!
to prevent damage: slide a thin piece of cardboard between radiator and cooling fan assembly when removing the assembly, this will keep it from flattening you radiator ribs or punching a hole through it

OIL

drain oil, replace drain plug
remove oil filter

EXHAUST

directly after the exhaust manifolds on each side is a catalytic converter, coming off of that is a down tube, where the left side(front of car) meets the right side down tube. this 2-1 pipe connects to a flexible pipe that’s welded to the front muffler.
left side
start by removing the 2 nuts from where left down tube meets the right down tube
then remove the 2 bolts from the left catalytic converter to the bracket that is attached to the back of the oil pan(leave the bracket connected to the catalytic converter alone, the screw is probably rusted and might strip out if you try to remove)
remove the three bolts from the left catalyst heat shield. move heat shield forward s best as possible.
there are two 02 sensors, one on top sticking through the heat shield, and one on the lower side near the bracket. take the one out near the bracket, and unclip the one on top from underneath the battery box
remove the three bolts that hold catalyst to exhaust manifold(careful they strip out easy. it is best to use a socket with a star pattern the reverse of a torx bit on the top of the bolts and NOT remove the nuts. the bolts are secured into the catalyst and slide through the manifold then get the nuts put on)
remove left hand catalyst and down tube as one unit, as well as left heat shield)
right side
remove two nuts holding flexible muffler pipe to the right side down tube(Careful, rusted exhaust bolts like to snap off rather than unscrew)
looking at right side down tube from through wheel well, remove the bolt holding the heat shield it will be directly in front of right down tube, holding the heat shield to the cars sub-frame. this alows you to kinda bend it away
while its bent remove the nut from the right down tube clamp(it holds down tube to the catalyst) the bolt is directly behind the exhaust tube, kinda tricky to get. i had to cut the bolt down to get a short socket on it, and then it snapped anyway, so i fabricated a stainless one for reinstallation w/new bolt and nut
remove right hand down tube

BRACKETS / OTHER

looking at the engine oil pan you will see two brackets that will need to come off
start with the one holding the transfer case air scoop. it has to small bolts underneath the main shaft of the transfer case, remove them. then there is one bolt holding it to the oil pan, remove this.
remove bracket
the other bracket was attached to the left hand catalyst to get this one off you need to remove the oil pan to transmission retaining bolts. there is one on each side, remove them.
then you will see that one of the bolts holding transmission together holds bracket in place. CRACK this bolt loose about a 1/4 turn. DO NOT remove it. loosen enough to pivot bracket up and retighten with fingers. this will hold bracket out of the way.
remove the little black cover in the middle of the oil pan (drivers side) to access two of the bolts
remove the accessory drive belt. breaker bar works best. go in through the wheel well and pull down
if you don’t have a breaker bar, use a thin 3/8” drive ratchet set in reverse and slide a 12” length of metal pipe over it
remove two bottom bolts of A/C pump that connect to oil pan
loosen, DO NOT REMOVE the two upper bolts for the ac pump (these are bolted to a bracket for the generator and almost impossible to get back in)
slide A/C pump forward about an inch

if you take a close look at what’s in front of you now, you have clear access to 14 of the 15 bolts for the oil pan. you now have two choices, follow the rules of the hand books and manuals and proceed to drop the following: axles, left and right wheel knuckles, half shafts, steering gear bar, drive shaft, more of the exhaust, intake manifold, right hand catalyst, suspension, SUB-FRAME and other parts, just so you can take out the transfer case to get the last bolt of the oil pan out. OR....you can do what i did using tips from others to get the bolt out, and drill a hole in the casting of the transfer case mount, just enough to get a socket in there, and get the bolt out with out taking above mentioned items off.

ATTENTION: DOING THE FOLLOWING WILL VOID ANY SORT OF WARRANTY YOU HAVE THROUGH JAGUAR OR THROUGH OTHER DEALERSHIP

JAGUAR DOES NOT RECOMMEND THIS, AND NEVER WILL

the reason i did this is this, i have no warranty on my car, and i have a loan on it, so oil leaking from a gasket is not cool. i don’t feel like having my motor seize, and have to make payments on a car i cant drive. i know this was risky but i figured i have to give it a shot, worst case i would mess up my transfer case. rather than engine. if you have any sort of problem with doing this please i beg of you do not read on. i do not condone this on anyone but if it is your last (and pretty much only) resort, as it was mine, here is what i did i hope it might help some people.

OIL PAN

you will need: 3/4” hole saw with an adapter that also holds a 3/8” drill bit(for added accuracy with the pilot hoe drill bit)
a good low torque power drill
safety goggles
bright light
the first thing i did was flipped my new gasket upside down and traced the corner closest to the driver on to card board(the bolt you cant reach, and the ones nearest it). i then punched out holes where the bolts were. using this as a guide i held it to the bottom of my oil pan and centered the two bolts i could see, and marked on the transfer case mount where the bolt is-directly above in relevance that you cant see.
remove the transfer case bolt from the mount you are about drill through, it will be set back in later.
wear safety goggles when drilling.
drill slowly, keeping great tension on the drill.
ALUMINUM CRACKS EASILY, go slow. focus on getting it drilled straight and in line with bolt.
keep in mind: if you don’t drill straight on, you may not be able to get the bolt back in.
look from all angles before drilling. you only get one chance at this, take your time and do it right. if you get it good, you will still have material on the front side of mount, and not puncture through transfer case side wall and spill its oil out; ruining it.
once this is done vacuum up metal shavings, they fly everywhere(hence the safety goggles)
if you did it right, congratulations, you now have access to all 15 oil pan bolts
remove the bolts from oil pan
right next to where you drilled you will see a slot in the casting on the oil pan that goes around the mount you just drilled through. use a screwdriver under there and pry oil pan loose.
DO NOT STICK ANYTHING BETWEEN OIL PAN AND BLOCK MATING SURFACES AND PRY.
THIS WILL DAMAGE MATING SURFACES!!!!
carefully lower the oil pan, which is a little tricky, because so many other things were skipped, but very possible
the rest is simple, clean off any old gasket material, and remove old metal gasket
use a brand new oil pan gasket, the metal kind with the rubber inlay for best results
i used ultra gray gasket sealer for transmissions, it is sensor safe, higher oil resistance and is designed for high torque applications, as the x-type is 10.5-1 compression ratio.
getting the pan back on is a little tricky but before you glue it all up, give it a few dry test runs and see how to rotate pan to get it to seat right, makes it a little easier.
once all back together, new gasket and sealer, all bolts are in and torque them down (25 NM by the way) install the transfer case bolt you took out

install everything in reverse of removal; and you have fresh oil pan gasket at your hose for a cheap price.

my cost:

parts:
oil and filter $30 castrol syntec 5w-30 mobile1 filter
oil pan gasket $ 35 shipped partsgeek.com
gasket sealer $8 ultra gray
radiator fluid $15 dex-cool
bolts/nuts $20 (mostly exhaust bolts that broke, and one oil pan bolt)
drill bits $35
tools $100 (i had to stock up on a bunch of stuff anyway)

total: $242 not bad, i spent more than this but i didn’t list personal costs like 20 bucks to fill the propane tank for my heater, 5 bucks for my new shop light etc...

any way you can reuse fluid if you want, its your choice, i went with new.
with out buying any tools that’s that more saved money

hope this helps someone cause it saved me hundreds of dollars on labor charges. good luck to all and please remember, i am here for help and support from other x owners, and hope to help someone else out. i dont wish to offend any one with this, so if it angers you i apologize in advance, but to my testament i told you not to read on....

STEVIS05

Lcgi (12-08-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tomgee111
I did this job myself recently. I did not drill any holes to get to that hidden bolt like most say to do. I used a 10 MM open end wrench and bent it a few degrees. This allowed me to get enough of the tip of the wrench onto the bolt for a good bite. I then used vice-grips on the opposite side of the wrench and it broke free easily. Your mechanic is giving you a good price for replacement since it is at least a 10 hour job. You can certainly do it yourself if you have decent do it yourself skills.
Thanks for your post, I have 3 quick questions for you:

1). How long did it take you to complete the job?
2). Did you remove anything other than the oil pan?
3). Did you grind the corner off the oil pan as others have suggested?

Old 05-13-2012, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by tony2u

You wrote:

1. Time to do the job since it was my first time was 3-4 of days but only worked on it perhaps 1/2 day at the time. Now, I could do the job perhaps in 4-5 hours.

2. I removed the LH cat converter that was the most work. To get to the mounting bolts for the converter, need to remove all the air intake filter assembly, no need to remove the battery. There is a metal heat shield covering the exhaust manifold access to the bolts. I saved a lot of time and disassembly by just cutting this shield and bending it away for the access to the cat bolts. At re-assembly, just bent it back to its normal position—this procedure saved the radiator removal that seemed like a lot of work just to remove this heat shield. With the LH cat converter removed, pan came off quite easily with a bit of manuvering.

3. No, did not do any grinding on the oil pan. With the LH cat converter removed, no need to modify anything for re-assembly. I used Black gasket sealer along with the new gasket and it is had been dry as a bone since installation. I would also order a new serpentine belt since you will need to remove it for the A/C compressor.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:37 PM

You wrote:

1. Time to do the job since it was my first time was 3-4 of days but only worked on it perhaps 1/2 day at the time. Now, I could do the job perhaps in 4-5 hours.

2. I removed the LH cat converter that was the most work. To get to the mounting bolts for the converter, need to remove all the air intake filter assembly, no need to remove the battery. There is a metal heat shield covering the exhaust manifold access to the bolts. I saved a lot of time and disassembly by just cutting this shield and bending it away for the access to the cat bolts. At re-assembly, just bent it back to its normal position—this procedure saved the radiator removal that seemed like a lot of work just to remove this heat shield. With the LH cat converter removed, pan came off quite easily with a bit of manuvering.

3. No, did not do any grinding on the oil pan. With the LH cat converter removed, no need to modify anything for re-assembly. I used Black gasket sealer along with the new gasket and it is had been dry as a bone since installation. I would also order a new serpentine belt since you will need to remove it for the A/C compressor.
Thanks TomGee111 I see that either way i go, even in the best case scenario this is going to be an ALL DAY job. I have a lot of mechanical experience and tools so i should finish sooner rather than later. But its always good to do your research before venturing into the unknown !

Old 05-14-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by tony2u
Thanks TomGee111 I see that either way i go, even in the best case scenario this is going to be an ALL DAY job. I have a lot of mechanical experience and tools so i should finish sooner rather than later. But its always good to do your research before venturing into the unknown !
I suggest spending time before you begin the project getting to that hidden bolt. I spent a lot of time under the car trying to figure out how to get that bolt out without drilling holes. My reasoning was to abandon the job if i couldn't but was successful and retightened the bolt and then ordered the parts knowing now i could complete the job.

reyesfam (10-27-2014)
Old 05-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Default Could you share with me your pictures? Thanks!!!

i have pics of when i did mine but when i tried to add them the system told me they are too large. i can email them to anyone who could post them here let me know
Dear Stevie,
could you please share with me your pictures? thanks a lot!!!

Old 05-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Default Appreciate your pics!!

i have pics of when i did mine but when i tried to add them the system told me they are too large. i can email them to anyone who could post them here let me know
Dear Stevis5, Could you share your pictures? My email is ocortesy@yahoo.com.
Thanks a lot!! Regards

Old 05-15-2012, 01:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

tomgee, what did you use to get the hidden bolt? i'm thinking of getting a cheap wrench and doing a little welding

Old 05-15-2012, 08:18 AM
Default Oil Pan Hidden bolt

I used a 6” long open end 10 MM wrench—longer may be better. I bent the 10 MM end a few degrees perhaps 10 or 15 so as to give me enough space for the tip of the wrench to bite the bolt and room for the vice grips to be able to turn the wrench to free the bolt. Once free, it was easy to extract.

disguay (05-15-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

I used a 6” long open end 10 MM wrench—longer may be better. I bent the 10 MM end a few degrees perhaps 10 or 15 so as to give me enough space for the tip of the wrench to bite the bolt and room for the vice grips to be able to turn the wrench to free the bolt. Once free, it was easy to extract.
Did you just bend it in a vice? and did you bend it 15 degrees parallel to the direction that the force is applied on the wrench or did you bend it in the direction that force is applied on the wrench? Thank you!

Old 05-16-2012, 09:27 AM

Used a vice and a cheap gas torch from home depot. I bent it a little at a time then tried it out--took several bends but eventually was able to manuver it to that hidden bolt. Best to take the time under the car before you get underway with the job and make certain you can get to it as i did. I bent it up, not sideways where force is applied---good luck!!

Last edited by tomgee111; 05-16-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks tom! If I can get this to work the way I want, I'll upload a picture of what I did.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:19 AM

hi can you send me the pictures, I'm trying to decide wether I should take this task o my self or pay this outragous price to change an oil pan gasket.

Thank

roy

Old 07-29-2012, 07:22 AM

hi can you send me the pictures, I'm trying to decide wether I should take this task o my self or pay this outragous price to change an oil pan gasket.

Thanks
rteabrok@cfl.rr.com

Old 07-29-2012, 07:32 AM

rteabrok@cfl.rr.com

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 04 X-TYPE oil pan gasket FAQ