X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 weeks out of shop and this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 04:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 weeks out of shop and this?

So, after a month in the shop waiting for a part here and there to arrive, I now have the dreaded "airplane" noise. 2 weeks out of shop on interstate here comes this ungodly whine from under me! "My God, what now??" This noise I know isn't right, a whine that cries to the world, but when let off the gas nothing. Accelerate here it goes again! Everything "feels" fine, no vibration, changes out smooth, just now this noise. I read about carrier bearing, greased with the needle injection method. On test drive thougth may have solved with the greasing, but after about 200 yards here it comes again! Now I hear in with the whine, an off-balance rotation sound, almost like rubbing against something. Stopped by shop on way in, said bring in and let em see about it. I wonder if they did something to cause this while working on it, or (hate to say) did something that would bring me back. Anyways, can the carrier bearing be relaced? Is there something else I can check? Seems the whole sound from under hood is louder. Belts and pullys louder.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:50 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Which parts were replaced at the shop?

Old 10-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

skyrider, from what you describe, it is sounding like the carrier bearing. You can give it a shake test by grabbing the rear driveshaft and attempting to wiggle it side to side. If you see any movement, the carrier bearing is bad. The greasing probably put a little bit of grease where it was rubbing, but after a little bit of driving, it pushed all the grease away and resulted in the rubbing again.

Yes, the carrier bearing alone can be replaced. If you look around here, people have posted the part number to the bearing itself. The trick will be finding a place that can press the bearing off and back on. The part is not going to be too expensive. But, plan on about 3 hours of labor. So, out the door will probably be around $400.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:01 PM

ABS unit, power steering pump, crankshaft seal, tires,

Old 10-03-2015, 10:21 PM

ok, Thanks Thermo. I was just under the front looking around. Took drive shaft and would move back and forth half inch -inch, noticed center of carrier bearing moving with it.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:07 AM
Veteran member

skyrider, if you are getting that much movement, yes, no amount of grease is going to stop that noise. Normally the grease can make up say a 1/16" of movement and keep things quiet for awhile. But, that much movement and the bearing is pretty much toast. It will need to be replaced.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Where is the grease fitting on the carrier bearing? I was getting the car ready for winter, and changed the fluids, greased everything I could, and couldn't find a fitting, on the driveshaft center(carrier bearing).....Maybe I have my terms mixed up.......be cool.....Mike

Old 10-04-2015, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by mrplow58
Where is the grease fitting on the carrier bearing? I was getting the car ready for winter, and changed the fluids, greased everything I could, and couldn't find a fitting, on the driveshaft center(carrier bearing).....Maybe I have my terms mixed up.......be cool.....Mike
No grease fitting - see post #14 in this thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ring-faq-9853/

Old 10-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Veteran member

mrplow, there is no grease fitting on the carrier bearing. What you need to do is get a needle attachment for your grease gun. From there, you can slide it between the seals of the carrier bearing and squirt some grease in there. It is advisable to insert the grease in 3 areas roughly 120 degrees apart.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:31 PM
Default 2 weeks out of shop and this?

Ok guys, here's what I've done.
I thought before I take it back to the shop and pay for who knows what, I would eliminate other noise possibilities, and narrow down to the suspected "carrier bearing". So I decided to drain and fill the transfer case and rear dif. After rounding up needed tools, getting car up and set, I take the plug out of transfer case. No drain at all. Nothing.
Put a little over 400 ml back in.
Well, I move on to the rear dif, pull plug, nothing. But I did pump a good bit out. Put back close to 600ml.
Now moment of truth. Take off down road, I hear nothing. Turn to this road , still hear nothing. Pick up speed, let off...nothing. All sounds good and feels good. Just hoping this did trick. I'm surprised actually. Given my "Luck History". Thanks for pointing directions guys.