X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 X-Type 3.0 Starter Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2003 X-Type 3.0 Starter Issues?

I own a 2003 X-Type, 3.0 with ~90k miles.
The car is in great shape & has served me well (I love it).
I am having a problem where the car will intermittently not start, but after 3-4 attempts, it will.
I'm looking to see if I can get some help in troubleshooting & possibly fixing this problem myself.
I took the car to NAPA to get the battery tested, and they said it was good (suggested the starter).
If it is the starter, has anyone changed one on their own & is it an easy to get to/quick job or is it difficult/involved.
Can someone tell me where it is located? (trying to find schematics, etc online, but no luck so far).
I appreciate any support.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Welcome to the forums! Yes, your starter will need to be replaced. Do yourself a favor and download the JTIS for the xtype from here for free: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...uctions-16261/

Once you have that downloaded, hit view and then text navigator. You will be able to see exactly how to replace the starter and I do not think it should take you that long. If you want to just look at the starter and try to figure it out before downloading the JTIS, the starter is on the driver side of the engine and looks like two cylinders (one larger than the other.) I have not replaced the starter on the xtype, but normally a starter is just two bolts that need to be pulled off after you have removed the electrical connectors. Remember to not let the electrical connectors touch your body because they will arc and could start a fire within your wires.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

I believe replacing the starter on the 3.0 is a bit more complicated. +1 on downloading JTIS. I believe the starter is located below the intake manifold and might not be easily accessible from the bottom of the vehicle.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Default Response to Info on JTIS Manual

Gents,
Thanks for the quick responses.
I downloaded the manual successfully from the link provided by "onehappyplumber" but I have an Apple iMac computer & the file is for Windows.
Do they have this file for a Mac? (I will do some searching for this now that you've provided the name of the manual).
Appreciate any further assist.
Thanks!
1-2

Old 07-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

It might be worth checking the battery cables, they are a weak point on the X here's one thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...problem-72381/ a search will show more.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

LadyAce, what part of VA are you in? I'm over in Southern MD (about an hour east of Richmond as the crow flies). I am sure I could get a new starter into your car without too much hassle. Granted, like was mentioned by Norri, we see very few starters actually fail and most of the time what we see are bad battery cables (another thing that I could fix for you if you don't mind a little bit of a drive).

One question that I would ask is when the car does start, does it seem to roll over slower than normal or is it a nice snappy rotation? If it is a slower roll, odds are you are looking at a bad set of cables.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  19.3 KB

Thermo, you're such a nice guy.

You know if I lived closeer you and I would be buddies and I would be buying you lots & lots of beer.

OP - You have some great advice from the X type guys and an offer of an assist from Thermo...........you're in good hands

The following users liked this post:
209Paul (01-16-2013)
Old 11-05-2012, 06:16 AM
Default Problem fixed

Folks,
Turns out the problem with my 2003 X-type (intermittent engine light, inability to start on the 1st try) was the battery.
Put in a new battery & the problem has disappeared.
Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:36 PM

I know this is a car forum but people need to at least have a volt meter and test the batter at least in these starting system threads .

Old 11-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by smittybizzle
I know this is a car forum but people need to at least have a volt meter and test the batter at least in these starting system threads .
Very true, however, a lot of owners don't know how to properly use a volt meter, and the experts here have intimate knowledge of the cars, so their first suggestion is usually correct.

LadyAce's problem could be bad cables that a fresh battery is compensating for. We will just have to wait and see. In the meantime, her car is starting, which is what she wanted to happen anyway.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by heima
Very true, however, a lot of owners don't know how to properly use a volt meter, and the experts here have intimate knowledge of the cars, so their first suggestion is usually correct.

LadyAce's problem could be bad cables that a fresh battery is compensating for. We will just have to wait and see. In the meantime, her car is starting, which is what she wanted to happen anyway.
You are right .

Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 AM

Guys my X type is still having this problem I put a new starter on it (11-2-12) then on 12-24-12 the problem came back . Try to stat the car and all you hear is the starter spinning what could it be .

Old 01-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

smitty, what you are describing can be caused by 2 things. Either the new starter is failing again and leading to the same issue or you have some missing teeth on the flywheel and occasionally you will stop the motor so these missing teeth line up to the starter and therefore the starter has nothing in which to engage to.

Granted, I would also do a quick check of the battery and make sure that it is sending full voltage to the starter. A weak battery can cause strange things with our cars.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LadyAce12
I own a 2003 X-Type, 3.0 with ~90k miles.
The car is in great shape & has served me well (I love it).
I am having a problem where the car will intermittently not start, but after 3-4 attempts, it will.
I'm looking to see if I can get some help in troubleshooting & possibly fixing this problem myself.
I took the car to NAPA to get the battery tested, and they said it was good (suggested the starter).
If it is the starter, has anyone changed one on their own & is it an easy to get to/quick job or is it difficult/involved.
Can someone tell me where it is located? (trying to find schematics, etc online, but no luck so far).
I appreciate any support.
Sorry. Didn't read thru to the end...looks like it was resolved.

Last edited by aluni2230; 01-02-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:44 PM

[QUOTE=Thermo;649379]smitty, what you are describing can be caused by 2 things. Either the new starter is failing again and leading to the same issue or you have some missing teeth on the flywheel and occasionally you will stop the motor so these missing teeth line up to the starter and therefore the starter has nothing in which to engage to.
Thats what I thought about the starter so I have a replacement coming . I will test the battery when I get home . But the fly wheel I don't think because there are no funny noises and the car will start after the second or third try . I still have the old starter so I will test it tonight also . Plus to top it off the water pump gave out on 12/31/12 .

Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by LadyAce12
Gents,
Thanks for the quick responses.
I downloaded the manual successfully from the link provided by "onehappyplumber" but I have an Apple iMac computer & the file is for Windows.
Do they have this file for a Mac? (I will do some searching for this now that you've provided the name of the manual).
Appreciate any further assist.
Thanks!
1-2
LadyAce,
There is a PDF version of the "X-Type Workshop Manual" on here.... which
is just great for use on your Mac

Go to JimC64 post; X Type 'HOW TO' " quick links " model specs / info / accessories
and then look at the bottom link in his listing.

Cheers

Last edited by Lcgi; 01-04-2013 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Typos fixed
Old 01-06-2015, 08:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-type won't start

Hi, I am new to Jagforum, so if this has been answered before, please bear with me. I have a 2008 X-type V6. I love it. It has 72 000kms on the clock and is in excellent condition.

Two things: The battery light comes on intermittently which has been an issue since I got the car in 2011. It has not really bugged me, as it does not seem to affect anything. Could it be the cables?

I had the battery replaced last year January, and I tried to start the car at work in December. All the lights came on, but there was just a click sound. My first thought was the battery. However, a mechanic came and checked the car and said it was definitely the starter. To prove it, he placed a screwdriver across the solenoid of the starter (I think) and it started. Is his diagnosis correct? I don't want to pay unnecessary costs if its not the starter. Thank you in advance.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:47 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Cozy: Just a click or clicking is one of three things:# 1:Bad cable or connections on the battery side,ground cable on either end.#2 a weak solenoid on the starter (which engages the starter to the flywheel to spin the engine. #3 Bad brushes in the starter itself.
In your case it is clicking and you put in a new battery. SO we can eliminate the battery and the solenoid. If you have bad cables or connections the battery COULD be slowly being degraded to a point of discharge.You need to test it with a volt meter (no less than 12,5V). It won't charge properly with bad connections and can starve the starter also. IF all checks out and still no go you can rap on the starter and see if it helps if so it should be the starter itself. Then don't worry about the solenoid a new one comes with a new starter. You can also check the Alternator with a volt meter(14.4 to 15 Volts at startup tapering to 13.5 Volts. I don't know how the climate affects things in south Africa or what your mechanical abillity

Old 01-06-2015, 10:53 AM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Sounds like the starter to me. If you were closer I could ship you a good used one.

Good Luck,
The Dr!

Old 01-07-2015, 04:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pity Dr D. What is the cost of a new starter for the X-type? In dollars or in pounds?

Originally Posted by Dr dome
Sounds like the starter to me. If you were closer I could ship you a good used one.

Good Luck,
The Dr!

Quick Reply: 2003 X-Type 3.0 Starter Issues?