Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Sport Have a Question on Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts
Default 2004 Sport Have a Question on Purchase

Im looking for something for the snow and a 1 owner x type sport came up 2004. Its in excellent shape with 140,000 miles. What should I look out for? Should I be scared? Any input would be appreciated thanks!

Damon

Old 04-27-2016, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by XxSlowpokexX
Im looking for something for the snow and a 1 owner x type sport came up 2004. Its in excellent shape with 140,000 miles. What should I look out for? Should I be scared? Any input would be appreciated thanks!

Damon
Price?
Dont be scared.. Be happy.
These are awesome cars, i have a 2004 sport 3.0, bought with 103000 miles, currently at 175000.
Like all cars, things go wrong, the X is easy to work on. Parts are cheap. This forum always helps with problems and we often see resolution here too.
Plenty of things you can find worn on a 2004, but as long as it runs ok and the price is right, go for it.
I spent the first year fixing all the worn parts the previous owners neglected.
I basically have a new car now.. Lol
Good luck and hope it works out
Others will add more details about what to look for, but in my world... Running and cheap are the main concerns... Anything can be fixed.
What is your level of mechanical ability and do you own tools?

Old 04-27-2016, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

If you are looking for something for the snow be advised that the earlier cars (2002-2004) had a viscous coupling transfer case and sometime in 2004 they went with an open design. Not sure what the car you are interested has. If yours would have the open design make sure it would have the DSC. Why that is important because if you do not have DSC then if a wheel would spin all the torque would be directed to that wheel, so basically you would go nowhere. If you have it then the DSC applies slight braking to the wheel to keep it from spinning. I had a 2005 and with the DSC I had no trouble in winter, provided you have a good set of at least all season tires. If the car you are looking at is the VC design, you are gold. Just make sure you would change the transfer case fluid, transmission and rear diff just to make sure what you have.

There are a bunch of threads on what I mentioned above so you can familiarize yourself on the specifics. If it has a known service history and drives and shifts well with no lights on the dash it would probably be a very reliable car for you. Most issues are relatively simple to fix and not horribly expensive, especially if you are somewhat handy.

Good luck and let us know how you end end up.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Thanks guys. I own two jaguars a 2004 xjr and a 2001 xkr vert. I like the AWD idea and although looking for a truck this may be a decent idea. The car is super clean and I can get it for $2,000-$2,500 How can I tell the difference between the VCT and non VCT versions? Thanks! The owner does not seem so knowledgeable an dI know nothing about this car except the sport version looks pretty cool

Old 04-27-2016, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

By looking at it, I don't think you can. I am guessing you can tell by VIN, but not sure. There was a cosmetic update to the interior partway through 2004 when the steering wheel was updated with thumb wheels and they added a second cup holder. Not sure if the transfer case was part of that or not. I would think if you search on here a bit the info is somewhere as there is a ton on info about the transfer case.

The way to tell if you have DSC is by the shifter if there is a button with an icon of a sliding car, that is the DSC button. If you do not have that, good luck in winter.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfadude
By looking at it, I don't think you can. I am guessing you can tell by VIN, but not sure. There was a cosmetic update to the interior partway through 2004 when the steering wheel was updated with thumb wheels and they added a second cup holder. Not sure if the transfer case was part of that or not. I would think if you search on here a bit the info is somewhere as there is a ton on info about the transfer case.

The way to tell if you have DSC is by the shifter if there is a button with an icon of a sliding car, that is the DSC button. If you do not have that, good luck in winter.
Thermo has mentioned in the past that cars after i think april, maybe may have the newer design. That info is on the driver door pillar sticker.
Rear wheels turned in at the top like this... / \ means control arm bushings are shot, easy and cheap fix.