X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building an Endurance Racer

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 12:10 AM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemons Racer
I didn't feel it after the race or bringing it in to see how hot is gets. Air flow couldn't hurt though as long as no lift is created. We only get to top speed on the front straight. The average speed on a fast lap is 65 or so, but it is constant braking and WOT.

The kids came up with the name. They liked the Elmer's cow but I liked the color scheme more.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...coop%22-10000/

Okay, mystery solved on the name. I got a chuckle out of the names of many of the other teams.

So, winner's podium on the next race?

Old 05-17-2016, 05:41 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jaggedy
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...coop%22-10000/

Okay, mystery solved on the name. I got a chuckle out of the names of many of the other teams.

So, winner's podium on the next race?
Thanks! I never knew about this. It certainly can't hurt and seems easy enough to fabricate. Just need a picture, but that's what Google is for.

If the Jaguar stays in class C is has the ability to win it. The question is what does my team want to do? We have been focused on getting everyone in the car with shorter stints. This way everyone drives before the car breaks. The downside is that we spend a lot of time in the pits which cuts overall track time significantly. In the next week or so I will do a lap time analysis and see where we would have placed had we not made so many stops.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:42 PM

There is an 03 X-Type racing lemons this weekend too. It's on the west coast, #180 team misfits. You can follow them on specialty timing from a pc as well or get the race monitor app. They have won C class so they will likely be placed in B. I do not know the guys. Apparently they had a history of blowing up before they won, which is why we were placed in C.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:06 PM

There is an 03 X-Type racing lemons this weekend too. It's on the west coast, #180 team misfits. You can follow them on specialty timing from a pc as well or get the race monitor app. They have won C class so they will likely be placed in B. I do not know the guys. Apparently they had a history of blowing up before they won, which is why we were placed in C.
If he were posting here I might take a look...

There is a guy on here who has changed all his bushings to urethane I think. It is not something I would want to do for driving on the street, but is something you might look into for better cornering, if you are changing the bushings anyway...

Old 05-18-2016, 09:05 PM

We were just a second off on the photo, but it still is a good one of us taking the checker.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

We were just a second off on the photo, but it still is a good one of us taking the checker.
Oh lemons racer...your posts have had a sure influence over how i'm currently driving the X.
So at 178000 miles i will be a transfer case guinea pig too.
"Spirited" would be one way of describing it... The X is definately more fun with more RPM's
Exhaust sounds nice with the K&N open air filter too... More like my old 84 XJ6
Thanks for the great posts, followed the whole thread

Old 05-19-2016, 01:21 PM

Nothing wrong with being a guinea pig, it makes life fun. My transfer case really seemed to be in good shape. A decent amount of clean fluid came out when I changed it. Yea, the plug was full, but otherwise looked good. So here is the first stint of the race and I was driving. Got a little adventurous exploring the limits (17:45 mark). Ironically, my fastest laps were clean and after this. I think those got cut off the video though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsIZ...ature=youtu.be

Old 05-20-2016, 12:43 AM

Awesome!!!

I was reminded of some Top Gear episode. Nothing like spinning out on the track to face dozens of racers heading right for you, and then being passed by giraffes and various other odd and assorted entrants.

That looked like loads of fun!

Bravo!

I was hoping to embed your video so more folks would watch, but that doesn't seem possible in this forum.

Last edited by jaggedy; 05-20-2016 at 02:59 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:50 PM

It's been a while since I've posted due to the off season, but now I'm looking for some advice. The Jag would not start. It clicks a little bit when turning the ignition and the lights all work, but that's it. I've read several other posts with similar issues, but to no avail so far. We jumped the starter, both at the relay and at the starter itself; also changed relays and checked fuses.

At this point the thought is that it is something electrical. I'll try to get some codes posted soon too. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I know this sounds incredibly simplistic, but are you sure the battery is good. The X Type seems particularly sensitive to the correct voltage, especially if you haven't started it in quite a while. Not uncommon for them to go without warning. I'm sure you smart guys will figure it out soon.

Good luck with the upcoming season.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:14 AM

Lol, we cleaned all the ground terminals and charged the battery. What we noticed is that it drained quickly. When searching the forum we found some threads that said the security system will drain batteries quickly when faulty so we were thinking that. I would be thrilled if the issue was simply the battery and be overjoyed with our team's stupidity of not getting it tested first. Thanks for the idea Alfa, I'll get it tested.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:03 PM

Yup, happened to me when I hadn't used the car for a while.

Almost certain a fresh battery will solve your issues.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:04 PM

This is where we're at. All the signs pointed to a possible battery issue so I took it to AutoZone and had them test and charge it. It came back good. When when put it back we had the same result. All lights come on and work, but all we get is a little clicking noise. There does not seem to be fuel pressure either. Another clue may be the traction control button flashes red.

So far we've
Charged and tested the battery (it's good)
cleaned all battery grounds
swapped relays
checked all fuses
tested the starter by jumping it at the relay and at the starter (seems good)

Ideas which way this rabbit may have turned?

Old 02-22-2017, 08:20 PM

How dumb of me. Here are the codes we're getting.
P1638
P1646
P1603
P1797
C1155
C1165
C1175
P1000

Old 03-12-2017, 03:59 PM

Well, we still don't have it running. Pretty sure at this point it's a PATS issue. We only had one key for the car, but found a guy who made us one for $45. It's the same chip apparently as the Mazda Tribute and Ford Escape. Makes sense I guess. We also found a Jag shop that would take us. The dealer refused to even look at our car. We towed it in and said said he doesn't do that kind of work, lol. Anyway we hope the shop can reprogram PATS for us and it will be up and running.

A running car doesn't prevent us from working on it. Added a seat back brace, adjustable rear control arms from an S40, changed oil, etc. Here is a picture of the arms. Btw, the originals had a Ford stamp on them so likely lots of cars out there with comparable parts.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:22 AM

Did you look into that P1797?

That will give you no crank.

Looks like other Jag owners have struggled with it.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:01 AM

Did you look into that P1797?

That will give you no crank.

Looks like other Jag owners have struggled with it.
I really focused on the 1638 code. I'll go back and research that one. We're likely breaking down and taking it into a shop. Jag dealers wouldn't deal with us, but we found a local Jag specific guy that will take us in. It has been freezing here so we don't want to leave it at a shop with only water in it. Meaning it won't be until next week until I take it in so I have some time to check out that code too.
Thanks

Old 03-14-2017, 11:50 AM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/my-p1797-no-crank-adventure-137526/page4/

Old 03-14-2017, 11:58 AM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/my-p1797-no-crank-adventure-137526/page4/
yes, I have just read that thread this morning. The solution was kind of crazy and something I have not checked. I don't even know where that circuit board is do you?

although mine goes in and out of gears easily, where his did only intermittently. Lots of great info on that thread.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:56 PM

I really don't know about that issue, but do know that one intermittent short somewhere can cause all kinds of can bus issues.

A few weeks ago my coworker was having problems with the steering lock on her C5 corvette. I google search showed me that there is an easy workaround to that common problem, so I volunteered to help her out with it. Oops.

Long story short, an exposed wire in the door accordion had messed up several electronic modules, causing the battery to die and also killing the electric steering lock.

Simple in retrospect, but it stumped me for longer than I was comfortable with as I had the dash all apart on her driveway till late at night...

Also, OT: There are several fancy cars around where I live but I had never seen this Ford GT40 before. It looked like the real deal, and not a kit car or modern replica. When I got home I checked the paint and it is painted like one that came in second in the 1966 LeMans. The year Ford took 1-2-3.

Of course, I would be surprised if it is actually that car.

Quick Reply: Building an Endurance Racer