X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabin Air Flow Issues (actuators are functional)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 11:38 PM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

RobinGa: I assume you already removed actuator #3 (the stepper motor that should direct air either at your face or the windshield), and you manually rotated the end of the shaft hoping this would direct air either at your face or at the windshield (and you did this carefully, to avoid pushing the end of the shaft into the air box).

If end of the shaft rotates 360 degrees and the air flow does not change, then try to figure out why the end of the shaft is spinning, but the blend door inside the air box is not rotating with it. Sometimes the end of the shaft is broken / detached from the blend door, and sometimes the end of the shaft and the blend door are connected, but slippage is occurring between the two parts.

I have not had to cut open the air box to do an internal repair (yet), but I've read posts by people who have, then patch the hole closed when done.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:40 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks DW. Yes what you are asking is exactly what I have done. I think the actuator end of the shaft connected to door flap must be broken inside. It feels freely movable and would be able to be pushed completely inside if not careful. If anyone is reading this that has tackled the same thing please comment or point me to another thread. I've searched but not finding anything. Thank you

Old 08-28-2016, 08:50 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Reviving an older thread in hopes someone has suggestion. I spent a couple hours yesterday trying to figure out how to get the airflow from 100% all defrost to have some if not all to face vents. Still can confirm my actuator that controls face/defrost selection is operating. The shaft that it connects to spins freely and doesn't seem connected to flap inside. Does anyone know how the flap that controls face/defrost moves within the airbox so I can try to manually change it? Could something rigid yet flexible be snaked in from one of the vents to change the flap inside the airbox?

Old 08-09-2017, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting into the air handler box...

Hey all - this is such a helpful thread.

On a 2005 x-type, RHD, I've got the same problem as many above - actuators are fine so was investigating the screen/face one and yup - pushed the plastic inside the air box. Doh!

So - I stripped out glove-box, stereo, center console side panels, etc. I was able to remove the joining piece between the bottom of the air box and the floor (that takes the air to the rear). Snapped off a clip or two on the bottom of the air box, but pried it loose.
BUT the problem is, unlike the manual, the heater is rigid in there. Didn't drop down with the bottom of the box, and no way I could get my hand round to look for the little bit of plastic.

Any ideas where I've gone wrong? So I really have to remove the entire dashboard to fix this? Looks like hours and hours of work to retrieve one little plastic part.

Is it possible to get in there any other way?