Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadian always on Head Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 10:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Canadian always on Head Lights

Hello all

Have a 2004 Estate and the headlights are alway on, (Canadian Standard from Factory) I would like to be able to have them off as it is not only head lights but tail lights as well and the small marker light in the headlight as well.

Would like to run with just the Yellow marker light on during the day, as I did with my other cars, with them it was just a simple thing of pulling a relay plug and it was back to the normal of allowing the driver to put the lights on.

Can this be done easily?

Old 02-04-2016, 10:24 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

DRLs are mandatory in Canada. Turning them off risks getting a ticket. I'll never understand why people would want to do this, for any reason.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:33 AM
Default Head lights

Thy are only mandated for the factories and in fact the code does not cover the daylight running lights.

But that being said I only want my head lights off not marker lights similar to most of the new cars having running lights that are LEDs not the head lights.

I do believe that having lights on the front of a auto is a good thing although being a motorcycle rider it has taken some of the safety away from people riding motorcycles and the alternative of the pulsing light for motorcycles is still not recognized by most police although it is law.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:36 AM

You'll find that MCSA and MVSR both cover mandatory DRLs in Canada. You could argue that it's not illegal to turn them off, but spending time at the side of the road with a cop is not my idea of fun.

You make the point that motorcycle safety has been reduced by all vehicles having DRLs, which might be true. Why would you want to be the car that doesn't get seen at a critical moment because your DRLs are off and you disappeared into the background?

Last edited by Mikey; 02-05-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:56 AM
Default Head lights

Maybe the traffic act is different in you province, but I also said that I would like to have the head lights off and the parking lights on there for they are still conform to the regulations as do most of the new cars on the road that do not use their head lights for day light running lights

As you being a Jaguar owner you know that there is a lot of current draw no you alternator and battery. hence others have gone to LED lights to reduce the problem.

Also the colour of the lights being yellow makes the car stand out better in most Canadian weather, the reason Metro Toronto Police had yellow cars for years.

Just so you know most police cars in Ontario can and do run with out lights on. except for the OPP our provincial police.

But all this does not answer my original question.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:03 AM

Uhhh, we both live in Ontario (?)

I'm gently trying to urge you NOT to turn off your DRLs since you and I share the same roads and I don't feel like hitting you or anyone of the other boy racers that have disabled their lights trying look 'different'.

The stock battery and alternator is more than powerful enough to run DRLs.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Panther, looking, there is no "easy" way that I can see that you can have the side marker lights come on and not your low beams by simply "pull XXXX" or "swap out XXXX". With that being said, how do you feel about pulling out a headlight switch and making a slight modification. In this case, you would need to do a little probing, but the headlight switch is made up of a few different layers (ie, switches). You get to the right switch layer and cut out part of a copper run, you will be able to de-activate the low beams when you turn on the car, yet, keep the low beams for all other positions of the headlight switch.

That is the only way that I can see to give you exactly what you want. The other 2 options that I see are:

1) buy a US headlight switch and then every time you start/stop the car, you have to flip the headlight switch to the "Parking Light" position to turn on the running lights only.

2) Buy a Scandinavian headlight switch which will allow the car to function like it currently does when the headlight switch is in the OFF position, but you can then turn the headlight switch to the Parking Light position and it will turn off the low beams. But, again, you are turning the headlight switch every time you start/stop the vehicle.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:21 PM
Default Headllghts

Thanks Thermo and others for answering my question.