X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant clip in seatbelt! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cant clip in seatbelt! Help!

Hey everyone!, Loving my X, Ive had it 3 weeks now and its a dream to drive, I have a problem with the ambient temp sensor and have ordered a replacement, i plan to install that myself, Found some good guides on this site for doing that, But now today i have a new problem, I cant get the drivers Buckle to clip in, The button is stuck half way down and is not springing back up, I can manually hook something into the button and release it, and this lets me plug the belt back in, But now each time i have to manually "reset" the button and its getting harder to do each time, Im sure this is covered on my warranty but my garage is 200 miles away and would mean a day off work, and i cant afford to do that, Its rattling so i suspect there is a bit of plastic loose in it.... any advice would be appriciated

Old 10-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

This sometimes happens if you get stuff stuck in the clip. I would recommend just unbolting it and shaking it out. If that doesn't fix it, salvage yard or ebay and get a new/used one. Shouldn't be too expensive of a fix

Old 10-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Based on your situation, I would say you will be better suited to simply spend the little bit on a new belt end and then install it yourself. Installing the belt is easy. The hardest part of it all will probably be accessing the end of the belt with the torx bit bolt. To remove the driver's seat, you will need an open end wrench to remove the 2 bolts on the front side of the seat and then the 4 bolts in the rear (2 on each side, about 4 cm apart, 1 in front of the other). With the seat out of the way, you will probably need a T55 torx bit to get the seat belt end out of the way. All said, you can probably get this done in an hour or so. Most of the time will be spent dealing with the 4 bolts on the back side of the seat. You will only be able to get about a 1/4 turn on the front bolts in the back. The rear most bolts are not too bad and you can get just under a 1/2 turn before needing to reposition the wrench.

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (10-01-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 03:16 AM
GGG
Received 16,769 Likes on 12,156 Posts

The seatbelt buckle not only needs to clip in securely but you must also be absolutely confident it can always be undone in an emergency. Your faulty buckle no longer has that reliability and should be replaced.

If you intend to source a used buckle, be aware they are handed (LH and RH are not interchangeable) and in addition to the three colour options to match the trim, there are three Part Number changes according to VIN range.

This old thread highlights some of the difficulties with a used replacement:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...le+replacement

If the sealtbelt is covered under warranty, it might be prudent to do the trip to your garage.

Graham

Old 10-14-2012, 02:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for your replies, ended up bringing it back to the garage and they dismantled the buckle and removed a piece of plastic that was stuck in it, button is working fine now, thankfully it didn't have to be replaced