X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car overheating and fan sound louder than usual

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car overheating and fan sound louder than usual

For the last week or so my fan has been sounding like its overworking itself and stays on 10min after car has been shut off..parts on engine seem cool but fan still stays on. It even comes on seconds after starting car cold sometimes. Today the guage showed engine was hot on the way home. After getting home i noticed the coolant tank was empty and coolant on ground at from of car please help..

Old 06-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Can you see where the coolant leak is coming from...sounds to me like a hose broke loose and your fan is trying to keep the temp down is all that is...sounds like a simple coolant leak somewhere or a hose broke free is all

Old 06-10-2013, 08:27 PM

fan has been loud sounding since last week but coolant tank has been full all week until today when temp gauge showed overheating after parking noticed tank was empty and coolant was on ground at front of car and at front of engine seen splashes

Old 06-10-2013, 08:35 PM

A sensor could be off as well but the fans are doing their job which is great..some stop, could be hose leak for sure, just came undone

Old 06-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I had similar problems a year or two back. What I learnt then.......

If the fan continues to run for a few minutes or more after the engine shuts down, this is not normal. If you have fixed the leaks in the coolant system and it still occurs, it is most likely that a new fan that is needed. The good news is that if your fan deteriorates at the same rate that mine did, you will have a month or two before it fully packs up to troubleshoot to satisfy yourself that the fan is indeed the problem. Just don't go for any long journeys in the meantime!!

(... and if you do find yourself starting to overheat, don't forget the old school "cabin heater on at full blast" trick - it got me home at least once).

Best of luck

Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 PM

ok will check in morning... could issue be thermostat also cuz car was showing signs of false overheating since last year

Old 06-11-2013, 10:54 AM

Well currently you have a leak and yes it could be that your thermostat is stuck open, seen that before

Old 06-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My housing for the thermostat blew this morning. Split right down the middle. Jaguar 2002 x type.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Angry Over heated - need advise

So my water pump tension-er pulley went out and caused the water pump to falter. I replaced them both and now the fan is staying on as described on this thread. The car gets hot if I have to sit in traffic but is still hotter than normal when on the highway. No leaks in the cooling system. New upper radiator hose that includes the thermostat.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-29-2013, 11:45 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

tsboomer (not a top secret boomer by chance?), first off, welcome to the Forums. I think you will like it here and you will find lots of useful information here. But, we do ask a simple thing from you. Please stop by the New Member Section and introduce yourself. We like to get to know one another around these parts and it also lets you learn who the movers and shakers are here too. Who knows, might get a surprise in the end too.

As for your problem, based on what you are describing, you have either a clogged radiator (normally caused by someone using a "stop leak" product) or your thermostat is failing (more likely of the two situations). So, I would say to replace the thermostat and in the process, do a flush of the system and then see what you have then. If you pull off the hoses from the thermostat (located between the radiator and the engine block on the driver's side) and you see a coating on the inside of the hose, then odds are someone used a stop leak product and you are going to need to somehow pull that out of the system to fix what you are describing.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
stljag (08-30-2013), tsboomer (07-29-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 01:38 PM

Thermo,

Thanks, I will stop by the new member link and fill it out.

As for the thermostat, isn't it part of the upper hose that I just replaced? The plastic "T" had split on the hose and I replaced the whole part as that is the only way you can order them. If so, that would point to the radiator clog, correct?

Old 07-29-2013, 02:11 PM

Also, The TS is for my initials, I'm an OU Sooner fan. Where do I find the new member area?

Old 07-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Veteran member

boomer, no, the thermostat is in the large 2" hose that runs down between the radiator and the engine. You will see a large black plastic bulb in the middle of the hose.

As for the New Member Section, go back to the main page and look at the very top of the list. You will see it right there.

The following users liked this post:
tsboomer (08-01-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 10:48 AM

Thanks, Thermo!

I will check that as well. I'm relatively certain that it is getting hot. Could the thermostat cause it to get hot?

Old 07-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Veteran member

tsboomer, think of the thermostat as a variable orifice that is inline with the radiator. When the motor is too cold, it really restricts the flow of coolant forcing the coolant to loop back on itself inside the engine. But, as the coolant gets warmer, the thermostat starts to open up to allow more flow through the radiator and therefore remove heat from the coolant to keep the motor temp under control. So, if for some reason the thermostat is restricting too much flow, it will cause the motor to run hotter but will maintain the higher temp as it has opened too much in an attempt to lower the temp back down.

I know this is going to sound oximoronic, but if the internals of the thermostat have fallen apart, that can cause it to run too hot. In this case, because the thermostat is essentially not there, the coolant does not spend enough time inside of the radiator to be sufficiently cooled and therefore the motor gets hot coolant back, leading to the over heating condition.

tsboomer (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 12:42 PM

Thermo,

Thanks for all your help on this.

When I replace the upper radiator hose, it came with a new thermostat attached. So I'm pretty sure it should be working properly. I will double check it to make sure and let you know how this all turns out.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by Thermo
tsboomer, think of the thermostat as a variable orifice that is inline with the radiator. When the motor is too cold, it really restricts the flow of coolant forcing the coolant to loop back on itself inside the engine. But, as the coolant gets warmer, the thermostat starts to open up to allow more flow through the radiator and therefore remove heat from the coolant to keep the motor temp under control. So, if for some reason the thermostat is restricting too much flow, it will cause the motor to run hotter but will maintain the higher temp as it has opened too much in an attempt to lower the temp back down.

I know this is going to sound oximoronic, but if the internals of the thermostat have fallen apart, that can cause it to run too hot. In this case, because the thermostat is essentially not there, the coolant does not spend enough time inside of the radiator to be sufficiently cooled and therefore the motor gets hot coolant back, leading to the over heating condition.
Thermo,

Thanks so much for your advice. Looks like the new thermostat that came in the upper radiator hose was bad. I pulled it and the car is running just fine. So I am about to order a replacement. Any suggestions on a good source?

Old 08-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Veteran member

tsboomer, you can try:

JPLV - Jag dealership out of Las Vegas that has treated lots of the members good including myself
Jaguarparts.com - dealership out of Cleveland that if you do things via the internet (can't get the same deal if you call them) is pretty cheap
Hennessey Jaguar out of Atlanta, GA (Sponsor here) - if you call them up, they will get you what you need and if you tell them that you are a member here, they will give you a break in the price.

tsboomer (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 01:06 PM

Best place and cheapest to buy jag parts is partshotlines.com I got a $500 fuel pump for $40 with 60miles on it... If bought plenty parts from the site not just only for my jag

Old 08-18-2013, 10:02 PM
Default Thermostat Replaced but now leak

The t-Pipe hose thats connected to thermo is leaking coolant cant tell exactly where except its from on top right under airbox. rubbed finger around rubber hose and it didnt have fluid on it but when i rub under the platic pipe that the hose is connected to i get the fluid on my hand.? PLease help

Quick Reply: Car overheating and fan sound louder than usual