X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing plugs and intake gaskets... What else while I'm in there?

Old 10-21-2016, 08:46 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Changing plugs and intake gaskets... What else while I'm in there?

Over last week I replaced the PCV hose, the IMT orings, fuel filter, and air filter. I have new upper and lower intake gaskets and new spark plugs I will change next week on a couple days off from work. While I am in there with intake removed what else should I replace as preventive maintenance? Not getting any mis fire codes so presuming my coil over plugs are still ok. What else would you guys suggest looking at replacing while its apart?

Old 10-21-2016, 09:26 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

I've got the same year car, same mileage but different color. I'd say you've got it pretty much covered. How's serpentine belt look? Power steering fluid, coolant and brake fluid fresh?

Old 10-21-2016, 09:39 PM

Belt looks ok but I can do that another time maybe. Fluids are good. All fresh brake fluid when I redid all rotors and pads. I'm wondering if I should do EFI o rings?

Old 10-22-2016, 06:10 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

RobinGA, since you have the intake apart, this would be a good time to clean the throttlebody (that way you don't end up flooding out the engine with all the cleaner). After that, I would do an inspection of the plastic tubing running under the intake. But, that is about it. slow and steady.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:45 AM

+1 on Thermo's advice. Put it back together and enjoy the drive. We just put on 3k miles on "Bridget" on road trip to Florida and back. She ran great and delivered average 27mpg. Have ordered parts for replacing hood insulation and the windshield defroster vents next week.

Attached Thumbnails Changing plugs and intake gaskets... What else while I'm in there?-exterior.jpg   Changing plugs and intake gaskets... What else while I'm in there?-cocomats.jpg  

Last edited by swingwing; 10-22-2016 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Changed wording.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:27 AM

Swingwing I would really like it if you would do a thread on your experience when you do that under hood insulation. I plan to do the demister grills too. I have located the right side grill in my interior color but the left side is out of stock. I think you may have Warm Charcoal interior as well. Where did you source yours?

Old 10-22-2016, 09:38 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

While you have the inlet manifold off, you may want to consider replacing the cam cover gasket and spark plug boss seal as well even though you did not have any oil fouling of the spark plugs or coil units.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by RobinGa
Swingwing I would really like it if you would do a thread on your experience when you do that under hood insulation. I plan to do the demister grills too. I have located the right side grill in my interior color but the left side is out of stock. I think you may have Warm Charcoal interior as well. Where did you source yours?
Yes, I will put up some pics on the hood insulation replacement. The defroster vents are also a common failure item - prolly because the sun beats them up. Yes, I have the Warm Charcoal interior. I considered forum sponsor SNG Barratt for the parts, but there'd be $100 shipping upcharge on the hood insulation, so I looked elsewhere. I found the vents available on EBay, but I ended up going to Jag dealership for everything. Here are the part numbers and what I paid for comparison. All of it was special order, with parts coming out of Atlanta (I live near Fort Worth).

C2S43949LEG Grille $68.75
C2S43948LEG Grille $69.00
C2S44682LEG Blanking Plug $2.45 (need 2)

C2S44059 Liner-Bonnet $111.50
C2Z3567 Rivet $1.10 (need 22 if replacing all; I ordered 10 as I figure I can re-use some of existing fasteners)

Last edited by swingwing; 10-22-2016 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Added sentence.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:49 PM

NBCat I just researched your suggestion and what is involved. Knock wood but my engine is not leaking any oil nor do I see any issues around the Cylinder head covers right now. That operation sounds a little more involved than I'm ready to tackle at this point. I was reading in my Haynes manual that along with head gasket and spark plug boss seal there is a lot of silicone bead required for both the front and rear covers in addition to new seals when reassembling. I may have to ponder on this one and keep in mind as I'm taking spark plugs out. Thanks

Old 10-24-2016, 04:03 PM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

While you have the intake off and apart give it a good cleaning.
I found oven cleaner and an old tooth brush worked best on mine and i actually picked up a couple of miles to the gallon.
a little petroleum jelly or silicone paste on the o rings will help seal them also.

remember to use your rubber gloves and safety glasses.

Might not be a bad idea to change out the knock sensor while your in there.
You can find them on Ebay and Amozon.

Tip drill the head of the bolt off and replace with a shorter bolt. you will see why
cant remember the size off the top of my head.

Easy job...

Old 10-25-2016, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by RobinGa
I just posted DIYs for the hood insulation and demister grills. Hope it helps.

The following users liked this post:
RobinGa (10-26-2016)