X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing sat nav touch head unit

Old 12-21-2015, 07:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Changing sat nav touch head unit

Hi all, I have a 2002 X type 3.0 v6 which has the jaguar sat nav touch screen with climate control, I am looking to change this for a car play head unit something like the alpine Ilx-700, I have been told by my local dealer that I can't change the head unit as I will lose the facility to control the climate controls also my alarm will need to be reset? is this true? Surely there must be a way of changing this? I'm not too worried about losing the sat nav in boot as the new head unit has sat nav facility, my only concern is losing the climate controls and ability to use the buttons on the fascia, any ideas gratefully accepted, I'm sure someone has managed to work around this.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:28 AM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

You will have to change the Climate control module/facia to the digital LCD panel, then you can go down the double din unit route, should be no re programming involved!!
UK example - Jaguar X-Type HEATER CONTROL AIR CONDITIONING MODULE CLIMATE PANEL 1X4H-18C612GB | eBay

Old 12-22-2015, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by euanT
You will have to change the Climate control module/facia to the digital LCD panel, then you can go down the double din unit route, should be no re programming involved!!
UK example - Jaguar X-Type HEATER CONTROL AIR CONDITIONING MODULE CLIMATE PANEL 1X4H-18C612GB | eBay
Is it really as simple As that? What about the connections at the back? Will I need any other bits apart from the head unit and fascia plate

Old 12-22-2015, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by RobbyHughes
Is it really as simple As that? What about the connections at the back? Will I need any other bits apart from the head unit and fascia plate
I think the digital auto climate module has the same wiring as the touchscreen, you will need it anyway!! I have had the touchscreen out to fit my Android unit, one plug goes into the cd player, and one goes into the touchscreen, and that is the one you will connect into the new module!! Check out a retro fit satnav thread and work backwards from it!!

Old 02-02-2016, 05:20 AM

I bought the air conditioning module as mentioned above, took the car to the garage today to get them to fit the stereo and he says that only one of the connectors on the back of the touchscreen fit, the other connector doesn't fit at all, is there some sort of conversion lead that will fit this? he says he can fit the stereo as it is but I wont have any heating functions, if it helps I can take pics of the connectors I have.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:53 AM

this is the rear of the existing air con unit

Old 02-02-2016, 08:58 AM

You will have this unit to control the touchscreen(pics 1 & 2)
You now need this)pics 3 & 4) connections are the same!!

Attached Thumbnails Changing sat nav touch head unit-%24_57-2-.jpg   Changing sat nav touch head unit-%24_57-3-.jpg   Changing sat nav touch head unit-%24_57.jpg   Changing sat nav touch head unit-%24_57-1-.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by euanT:
Mrqng78 (03-12-2016), RobbyHughes (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 09:08 AM
Default aircon connector

trying to post an image of the connector the garage says doesn't fit, ahh here we go, does anyone recognise this?

Attached Thumbnails Changing sat nav touch head unit-img_3838.jpg  
Old 02-02-2016, 09:29 AM

Have you removed the RCCM(Remote Climate Control module) unit(picture 1 & 2) as well as the touchscreen/CD/radio unit??? It is attached to the right hand side of the heater/evaporator unit behind the dash. It can be accessed easily by removing the carpet above the RH foot well and reaching up

The following users liked this post:
RobbyHughes (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 09:36 AM

The picture you have posted is the connector for power/speakers etc. you will need a harness adaptor to convert it to fit the new head unit. Any reputable ICE dealer should have one!! E.G. - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ct20...-jaguar-x-type

RobbyHughes (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 10:00 AM

I will have another look at the connections in car in the morning when I have a bit more time and light, but thanks for your help so far EuanT

Old 02-03-2016, 07:49 AM

Hi EuanT, I removed the carpet this morning and found the connectors you mentioned so I take it its just a case of pulling them through, the existing plug that is above the fibre-optic cable on the touchscreen I take it is now redundant including the fibre-optic and doesn't need to be plugged into anything, I have bought the harness to connect the power connector to my new head unit and steering wheel controls, so is there anything I'm missing or need to connect up now?

Old 02-03-2016, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by RobbyHughes
Hi EuanT, I removed the carpet this morning and found the connectors you mentioned so I take it its just a case of pulling them through, the existing plug that is above the fibre-optic cable on the touchscreen I take it is now redundant including the fibre-optic and doesn't need to be plugged into anything, I have bought the harness to connect the power connector to my new head unit and steering wheel controls, so is there anything I'm missing or need to connect up now?
The fibre optic system is a loop, if you leave it disconnected the other units may not work i.e. Bluetooth/CDC/phone etc. If you dont have any of these you might be OK!!

RobbyHughes (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 01:11 PM

what is cdc? I don't have bluetooth or a phone connected at the moment which is part of the reason I am buying a new all sing dancing head unit, can I get a terminator for the fibre optic so the loop is still there or what do you suggest as I wont be using the jag sat nav anymore.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:57 AM

CD Changer in the boot(trunk) If you have none of this kit fitted then the D2B network will be obsolete!! just try it as is to see??

Old 02-04-2016, 04:02 AM
Old 02-10-2016, 03:44 PM

Well I eventually got the new a/c unit fitted with the head unit yesterday and all working well apart from tonight, I turned my headlights on and none of my dashboard lit up nor did the steering wheel nor the centre console? I didn't use the car after head unit was fitted yesterday, could a fuse have blown disabling the lights? The headlight symbol appears on the dash to say they are on, I checked both fuse 64 and 68 I think and they appear fine, struggling with this as can't see speedo or anything while it's like this, message centre still illuminates though

Old 02-11-2016, 08:41 AM

Maybe try a hard reset, since you have had the dash apart!! Disconnect both battery terminals and short together for about a minute!!

Old 02-11-2016, 08:59 AM

Thanks EuanT, will give that a go over the weekend, I went through the fuses this morning and none of the 7 or 8 I checked to do with instrument cluster have blown, when I first got car back from garage after having the head unit fitted the engine management light was illuminated but that has now gone off, is there anything behind the head unit that could affect the light circuit? if the mechanic has unplugged something by mistake?

Old 02-12-2016, 03:23 AM

The car doesn't like the climate unit disconnected with the ignition on, can confuse the system, a hard reset should do the trick!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing sat nav touch head unit