X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine/ codes P0305, P1313, P1316

Old 02-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine/ codes P0305, P1313, P1316

Thanks to everyone on the site, I've referenced it often but now am having specific problems. I have an '03 X-Type 2.5 liter automatic, 94,000 miles. I am pulling these codes, P0305, P1313, P1316, for about a month now with no luck troubleshooting the problems. The original misfire code was on cylinder 2. I took off the intake and replaced the the coil on #2 and put it on cylinder #1, then cylinder 1 was misfiring. I bought a new coil (a newer version I was told) and i got a misfire on every cylinder I put the coil on. After returning the coil, thinking it was a bad coil, I bought a used, original version coil from a junkyard and it also misfires wherever I put it. Kinda strange and I'm not sure what to do other than replace all 6 with "new version" coils. I also changed out all the plugs to iridium plugs 2 weeks ago. I replaced the top intake O-ring a few months ago because there was a minor leak, and just recently sealed the bottom one with some gasket sealant which seem to have done the trick, again, a slight leak. The PCV tube doesn't seem to be sucking any air, the brake booster line seems to be OK. I broke it off during original coil transfer but it's sealed now and isnt sucking any air. The air filter looks clean and I did run fuel injector cleaner through. I'd like any opinions on anything I should try before replacing all 6 coils. Thanks again to everyone on the site!

Last edited by laurence85; 02-14-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car22.jpg
Views: 5188
Size:  16.5 KB

Hey laurence.....first post eh? and a belter too....lol

First off......drop by the new member section and post a little info about you......everybody pretty much does it and its considered good manners.

Secondly....Its time for TECH HELP.....LOL
Seriously though, drop by the General Tech help section and duplicate the post there to give you twice the chance of it being found and answered.
Both sections would be considered correct so i don't see a problem.

Good luck

Old 02-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

Let me make sure I understand. You bought a new coil(Jaguar?) and whichever cylinder you put the new coil on misfires with the new coil but not the original coil? You suspected the new coil was bad so you got another one(Jaguar?) and it misfires on whichever cylinder you install it on? Cylinder #5 is your only misfire code other than the catalyst damage codes? You can put one of the original coils on #5 and it no longer misses? Does the engine actually miss where you can feel the performance problem or does it just set the code for the cylinder that has the new coil installed?

Old 02-14-2009, 11:18 AM

HI Real_Tech. Yes, I bought a new coil from the Jaguar dealership and whichever cylinder i put that coil on, will misfire. It was the same with the original cylinder 2 coil, whichever cylinder i put that coil on, will misfire. I returned the coil to Jaguar, they almost wouldn't take the $75 coil back, and the next coil I bought was a new on from Schucks. I returned that one also because it was doing the same thing. So I bought a used older style coil from a junkyard and it's doing the same thing. I had tried putting the original coil on the now misfiring #5 and it still misfires. It just doesn't make sense that it wouldn't take a brand new coil, especially after I did the first switch of coils #1 and #2, and the misfire then went to cylinder 1. I can definitely feel it miss. I can feel the misfire lightly when its idling, but its really noticeable going about 35 - 40 MPH. Thanks

Old 02-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I read your post 4 or 5 times and I think I know what you mean. Your original coil 2 went out, then every replacement you have tried has given you the same results as the original regardless of which cylinder you try...right?

Real Tech - would he need to do any type of computer re-set after swapping the coils? I wouldnt' think so but his symptomology seems very strange....

Old 02-14-2009, 01:19 PM

Exactly. Every cylinder I put the replacement will have the misfire.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

The original coil had the plastic drop tube with the rubber boot on the end and the new coil Jaguar sold you had the metal drop tube and a rubber tip, correct? When you first removed the misfiring coil did it look or smell burned or melted? What about the spark plugs, which brand is in the car? Bosch platinum plugs are notorious for causing all sorts of misfire and coil damage if those are installed. The only other thing I could recommend at this point would be to measure resistance of a coil that you know is working and then compare those readings to the replacement coils you have and see if there is a discrepancy. This problem sounds very strange and I dont think I've seen anything like it.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:52 AM

The "newer" style coils only seem to be a little thinner at the top, while the older ones look thicker. I didn't notice any other difference. The original "bad" coil didn'tI believe there were Autolite plugs in there for who knows how long before I replaced them with Champion Iridium plugs a few weeks ago. Should I worry about the P1313/P1316 codes by changing the PCV hose or something like that or would these codes come up because of the misfire? I will try to get my hands on an ohmmeter and test ASAP. What would you suggest my next step be if the all have similar resistance? Thanks.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:32 AM

I did test the ohm resistancy last night, and got a discrepancy between a few coils. The way I tested was set the ohmmeter at 200k, stuck the positive end up inside the coil, and the negative on one of the 4 prongs. I first tested the faulty #5 coil and it had a reading of about 160. I then then tested coils #1 and #3 which gave readings of about 140. I then tested the original bad coil that I had saved and it had a reading of about 160 also. Do you think this could be the problem? It could all make sense if the newer style of coils that they now sell won't work unless you replace all 6, and it is entirely possible that the original version that I recently installed on #5 and that I got at a junkyard, is faulty. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:58 PM

Greetings again, I'm hoping I can get some suggestions as I continue to have difficulty with my misfire problem. I finally got my hands of an original style coil from a 2003 2.5 liter. This coil has an ohm range that is very similar to the good working cylinder 1 and cylinder 3 coils. The original bad coil tested well above these 3 coils so I know the coil I just received is OK. I installed this coil on cylinder 5, had the engine light removed, and to my surprise the engine light came on again with a cylinder 5 misfire. I moved the new-to-me coil that I had just placed on the 5th cylinder, to the 3rd cylinder. I erased the codes again and eventually got a cyl 5 misfire again. So after all this time of the misfire following a newly installed coil, the misfire stayed with an original coil. I know the coil i just received is working properly because the cylinder it is on is not misfiring. Any suggestions on what I should try next? I did replace to plugs to iridium plugs about a month ago so I dont think that could be the problem. Is there a certain way I should install the coil in regards to the battery? I'm just at a loss of ideas at this point. I appreciate any suggestions.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:22 PM

laurence85, I put the autolite XP iridium plugs in mine over 2 months ago and gapped them at .05, I also started getting misfire codes last weekend, on all cylinders. the threaded portion is actually longer than the OEM NGK's (not sure if this was the cause), and a couple were on the high side of the gap. Since I put the OEM back in NGK, the misfire issues have gone away. No codes, and running smooth. Try going back to OEM.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:38 AM

just compliments to everyone on this post. im such a helpless jaguar owner... above and beyond you guys are going

Old 08-05-2009, 10:55 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by msos
laurence85, I put the autolite XP iridium plugs in mine over 2 months ago and gapped them at .05, I also started getting misfire codes last weekend, on all cylinders. the threaded portion is actually longer than the OEM NGK's (not sure if this was the cause), and a couple were on the high side of the gap. Since I put the OEM back in NGK, the misfire issues have gone away. No codes, and running smooth. Try going back to OEM.
Which NGK Iridiums did you use? Mine has Motorcraft in it right now. Do you have a 2.5, 3.0, 4.0 or 4.2L? Thanks.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:17 AM
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

man i hate to say this bcause i'm all for do-it-yourself methods but, this may be an issue where you have to man-up and take it to a dealer b4 you exhaust all your resources tracing an elusive issue. Yeah you may be out of a couple hundred bucks for a diagnosis but hey.. You will know what the issue is and will be able to FIX the problem instead of possibly causing another issue.. What i've learned is.These jags are sensitive. So be careful swapping and interchanging parts. just my 2cents

Old 08-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Default Finally fixed. Easier than I thought

Hello all, I finally did get my car fixed. A Jaguar dealership in Boise and in Portland BOTH told me the cylinder numbers backwards. So, what was a easy ignition coil fix, which I kinda knew it was, turned into a big SNAFU. I was working on the wrong cylinder when I could have been told the right info. I had finally taken it to a trustworthy shop and he helped me out.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

good news!!!