X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clamp connecting airbox tube to throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 01:58 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Clamp connecting airbox tube to throttle body

I'm preparing to remove intake manifold and getting parts and supplies in order. The clamp that secures my air box tube to throttle body looks to be original and it's not a screw type hose clamp that I've only ever worked with. It's like there are bends or folds that the ends of the circular clamp are connected by. My exploratory prying and squeezing of that connection aren't showing me how this type clamp comes apart. This may be a dumb question but how to I get it to open? Also is that a clamp that can be reused or do I need to plan to by a new hose clamp (s) once I figure how to take this one off? Thanks

Old 10-22-2016, 02:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

RobinGA, these things kick a lot of people's butts. So, you are not the first and won't be the last. To get them open, it requires 2 hands. What you will need is a pair of pliers and a small flat blade screw driver. If you look, there are 2 places where the metal is kinda folded over on itself that are side by side (1/8" gap between them). What you want to do is using the pliers, pull these two pieces together. With them pulled together, stick your screw driver between the two pieces of band that are overlapping. This will release the catch and allow it to open up. It may take a few tries your first time. But, honest, it will come apart.

Now, you are left with a decision. The clamp is reusable (I took mine apart many a time), but you are going to have to use this two hand method to get it apart every time. Otherwise, you can spend the $2 on a new hose clamp and install that. Your call. How many more times do you see yourself pulling this piece apart?

Old 10-22-2016, 03:06 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Awesome thanks Thermo. I think I'm adding a good stainless steel screw type to my list of supplies and parts for this job. I may try to reuse but will have the option

Old 10-23-2016, 06:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

RobinGA, putting it back together is cake. You simply squeeze the two lumps together, push down in between them and release. That will remake the lock. Once you get used to them, they are actually fairly easy to work with. The first time you play with them, well, you may be needing a drink afterwards. LMAO.