X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making my own TC Cooling Duct (Scoop)

Old 05-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Making my own TC Cooling Duct (Scoop)

After a winter of not driving my X-Type, only taking it out on a salt free days, up and down the near by 407 (Markham outside of Toronto). I took my car in to have the oil changed at Mr Lube and inspected the undercarriage... and that damn $90 Duct is hanging barely by a thin piece of aluminum tape that I applied around where it bolts on. After close inspection I found that the plastic is brittle and cracked all through making me think it is not the snow that was tearing the Duct off every year for the last 6 years, but a poorly designed Duct using material that can not stand up to the extreme cold and heat it must endure in our northern climate.

So I've taken the old "Scoop" and made a cardboard mold of it, then went to a near by Metal yard and bought a sheet of 36" x 12" .032" aluminum for $30 (that was the smallest sheet they would sell me, it is enough for 7 scoops) and I'll start bending and hammering out my replacement tomorrow.

I'm sure the thickness of the aluminum will stand-up to wear, and the cost will be about $5 and 5 hours to make. I'll keep you posted on my project and if successful I'll post the DIY for those fed up with buying this part every spring.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

No don't post DIY thread - just post forsale offer for your aluminum scoop for $5/per : ) I will be the first in line to buy one from you!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Wat, i live in alberta, and we just passed a low of minues 43 celcius wether, should i check mine too and is it a good idea to just take the car to mr lube for a oil change i'd really like to know

Old 05-05-2009, 12:37 PM

You know if this works out I'll show my daughter how to make the scoop, $5 for materials and $55 in labour (I estimate about 5 hours of work) for $60 and then she has the summer job she's been looking for... lol.... and she can market it on e-bay, I'm sure it will sell.

As for Mr Lube, the one near me has a great group of guys, I bring the OEM filter and they put in the Castrol Syntec ($80 with taxes). The dealership was not using Synthetic and charging the same, also with Mr Lube I get the TC, Rear Diff and Transmission fluid changed (as discussed on this site0 when needed at a fraction of the cost of the Dealership.

Cheers...

Old 05-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

canman,

You should get these in mass production and do a sales call to Jag's oil filter OEM. Replacement TC scoops and oil filters should be sold as a bundle. Jag would be wise to fess up and recategorize the TC scoop as a maintenance item, considering it needs replacing every 5000 miles.

--Geoff
03 X-Type 2.5 Sport
06 S-Type R (non-sport model)

Old 05-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

dang it, i should proablly check mine, and i'm wondering if the local Mr. LUbe guys till have to the pro's that kept my dads car running forever

Old 05-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Default Almost Done!

Ok, I finished hammering and bending out the scoop, total time so far is 2 hours and only 1 hour in cutting and bending/hammering the aluminium. So here are the steps:

1) Make a cardboard form of the original scoop (if you don’t have one, the form below is 5.25” x 11” so scale it and print:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...1&d=1241573249

2) Transfer the specs to the aluminium:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...1&d=1241573346

3) Then bend and cut:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...1&d=1241572612

Ok it doesn’t look pretty in the pic (actually looks much better than the pic), but on the weekend I’ll jack my car and fit it (last bit of bending and shaping). Once that is done I’ll apply some aluminium duct tape and paint with high temp black enamel (left over from my muffler paint job)…and thats it!!!!

As for selling this I was kidding, if there was enough of you that would like it I could ask the metal shop I bought the aluminium from for the cost of them doing this (they do make airplane parts). So let me know, if not it is really not that difficult to DIY.

Oh. also note I did not rivet anything, the cuts are left so if the scoop hits anything hard it will give and then you just have to bend it back, or make a new one.

Cheers.

Attached Thumbnails Making my own TC Cooling Duct (Scoop)-scoop2.jpg   Making my own TC Cooling Duct (Scoop)-cardboard-form.jpg   Making my own TC Cooling Duct (Scoop)-transfer-aluminum.jpg  

Last edited by canman; 05-05-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just one point of caution. The scoop is the lowest point on the undercarriage. I think part of the reason it's fragile is that it was designed to be that way. If you scrape the underside of the car, I think Jaguar's designers would rather that the scoop sheared off than to have the drain pan that it's attached to damaged.

While an aluminum scoop will be more durable, it might also do more damage when it hits an immovable object with a decent amount of force. Something's going to have to give and break off.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

You could pre-cut the 'tabs' so that if it does hit something hard...it could shear off. Let us know how long she stays in place!

Old 05-06-2009, 07:25 AM

Yes I agree, that is why I chose aluminium and left the mold cuts unriveted. The aluminium is .032" aircraft grade (strong but will give).... also if Jaguar knew this piece would fall off every 5K then they shouldn't be charging $90Cdn now for it, maybe charge the price of a filter say $10 and no one would be complaining.

Cheers.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:14 AM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how about a short cable "leash" so if it gets ripped off, you can re-attach it?

Canman, we should meet up to compare battle stories of Jag in Toronto..

Old 05-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Default Done!

Ok the scoop is fitted:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...1&d=1241647567

I didn't paint it, since I took the opportunity to change the oil myself.... and while fitting the scoop it dropped in the drained oil, I decided to leave it as is (rather than cleaning and painting). Anyways functionality is primary and it looks pretty good in silver .

As for the "leash" idea, the problem is the scoop will fall apart on its own, it becomes brittle after the heating and cooling takes it toll on the cheap plastic/rubber that it is made of. Having my template, I can make replacements at any time, I think this is the better solution.

Jimmy I thought the same thing last year when I saw that they hold classic car, Mazda, Mitsubishi, etc, get together in the Sherwood Forest Mall parking lot near me (I live in Markham). It would be nice to have all the GTA X-Type owners have a similar get together... let me know if you organize one.

Cheers....

Attached Thumbnails Making my own TC Cooling Duct (Scoop)-scoop4.jpg  

Last edited by canman; 05-06-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would love to have a meet. If someone gets one together I would come out for sure. I live in Brampton but I work in Markham so I wouldnt mind swinging by. I wonder how many members there actually are on this site from the GTA.

Ohh and thanks for taking time to design the scoop. I wouldnt mund paying $40 for an aluminum one. If you have one to sell let me know.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Default Meeting and Scoop

Ok why not open a new thread on the "get together" - I think it would go a lot further from a senior member than a junior member like myself. Do you know Sgt Peppers in Markham? I think that would be a good meeting spot, maybe in a few weeks since the next week is booked for me.

As for the scoop. I can give you the aluminum with instructions and template (even cuts) for $20. If we meet I'll make the scoop for you in the parking lot since it is really easy to make, I'll just need is a hammer a some pliers (a proper vice is needed to make the angles 90deg) - you'll have to drill the bolt and screw holes later.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

that scoop looks like its on backwards

Old 12-05-2010, 10:13 PM

Just a note, scoop is still on and going into 2nd winter 2010.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Do you have any other pictures from different angles? I agree with jag_genius, it looks as if it might be on backwards...

Old 12-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

That scoop is installed correctly. We are looking backwards from front underbody.

Canman, if I were to visit Toronto near future, would you meet me to sell me a scoop?

Old 12-12-2010, 12:06 AM
Default Selling the scoop

You are right the scoop is installed correctly and works great.. 2nd winter now The instructions provided in this thread are really easy to follow. I do have 2 protypes (not cut or folded), since I could get the shop nearby to make them. Unfortunately based on the feedback from this forum, there doesn't seem to be a market - so I was planning on just keeping my extra scoops... but if you are in Toronto, I'll help you get the alumimum, and give you a copy of my template to make your own. Let me know, Cheers.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so what does this scoup actually cover and protect?
is it mounted under where the transmission shifter is? i have a feeling this this is missing on my girls car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Making my own TC Cooling Duct (Scoop)