X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold weather (-20C) x-type won't start

Old 02-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold weather (-20C) x-type won't start

We have a 2003 x-type 2.5L manual T with about 35,000 miles onit. In any temperature above -10C, the car will start fine with no hesitation. As soon as the temp dips down to -20C, the car will turn over with no hesitation, but does not fire at all. This occurs regardless if the previous trip was 10 minutes or 10 hours, as long as the car was left overnight at -20C.

I did the obvious, including plugging the car in (block heater), and we use full synthetic oil in the crankcase and have a new high amp battery which turns the car over at the same rate as it would at +20C.

It just doesn't seem to be getting fuel.

I thought it may be bad gas and water crystallizing in the injectors, but I add 100mL of gasline antifreeze every second tank , so this should not be the problem.

I found the schrader valve on the fuel line, so I imagine I could check the fuel pressure to see if it is the fuel pump (expensive fix I know).?

Is there anything I can do or check prior to getting it to the dealter?

My problem is we are 360 miles away from the dealer, and if it isn't -20, we can't duplicate the problem.

I appreciate any ideas or suggestions. I think I have tried all the simple things, but there must be an answer.

Thank you in advance,

Warren.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:06 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think its not starting because its -20 BLOODY DEGREES OUTSIDE. Too cold. For anything. Ever. And your car agrees.

Sorry couldnt be of more help I live in the desert.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:05 AM

The colder it is, the better. No mosquitoes. We run our snowmobiles down to -35 or so. The colder temps means more oxygen in the air and the machines lean out and run very fast. Just watch the exhaust temps. The car with AWD and proper winter compound tires runs like a dream and is a great winter vehicle.

Back to the original question. I did a little research and one suggestion was the crank and or cam sensor. Any comments or suggestions here? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Odd problem. Other than those sensors perhaps ignition coil packs could have cracks connection issues.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Banned

Never heard of this..Should start regardless of ambient temps..Call your dealer's service or wait here till one of the TECHS can answer this question.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:06 PM

Shouldn't be a moisture problem as the air becomes very dry at -30. When I turn the key off and on (without turning it over) I can hear the fuel pump come on, so it should be getting adequate fuel pressure.

It is hard for me to duplicate this at the dealer, in that my dealer is 350 miles away, and I have to be able to be able to get the car into -20 temps overnight to have the problem occur.

No warning or display lights come on at all.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Banned

Until we find out exactly from a pro..I'll guess at things I would try..

It doesn't sound like it is anything on the engine (because of the heater you say you plug in) that should keep the whole engine warm enough..

It maybe a loose fuse in the fuse box or a bad one making intermittent contact internally when cold..check them all out and re-seat them too for good measure...And there are probably a couple of little square relays near by..rap on them with a screwdriver handle lightly..

My next check would be all the electrical plugs and connectors I could see..making sure they are snugly fitted, including under the dash...

Next, it could be the key transponder in the ignition switch..try squirting in some electronic contact cleaner..It may not be sensing your key...or try the other key/fob.

Just trying to eliminate the obvious first..

Last edited by Colt; 02-24-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tend to agree with Colt, particulary with the relay area. If one of these is sticking closed either through the reduced resistance in the relay's coil and/or moisture freezing the contacts shut you could have a component not operating in the fuel/ignition system. Although you car hasn't covered a lot of miles the relays could be showing signs of eroded or burnt contacts.

It would be worth identifying which relays effect the fuel and ignition circuits and carefully removing them for storage indoors. You could then refit them when the car has been exposed to the -20degC temperature to see if it will then start.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:34 AM

Perhaps a stuck solenoid somewhere or a relay?

Old 02-27-2010, 03:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main component of a relay is a solenoid so yes it could be a stuck relay. It's a fairly easy item to test so could be eliminated quickly.

I'm not very familiar with the X Type's electrical wiring yet (others are) but there will invariably be a relay used for the fuel pump. Most heavy current draw components will require a relay to prevent the wiring being damaged.

I guess you could be running out of days when -20degC occur.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:56 AM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, I can assure you that my car starts at -20 without problems. -30 ok too, but if it gets below that, it really wants the block heater. I am sure you know this already.

I am experienced with colder climates so I agree with you. Cold is great!

It is quite strange that this is so reproducable. Sticky Relays tend to be intermittant. I am doubtful of fuel issues, but should be easy to check with a little blast of starter fluid.

If I was so far away, and it was that cold, and in a no-start situation. I would do an official "NO-NO"! I would remove the air filter, and as someone cranks it over I would give a quick spray of starter fluid into the intake. The idea is no to make it run, just to see if it fires, or anything. This will let you know if there is spark at the plugs.
Dont over do it, and dont let the air flow meter get wet with the spray, that thing is reportedly VERY sensitive.

Does your outside temp display work properly on the dashboard?
I suspect a sensor is not telling the fuel injection computer good information. report back.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:55 AM

In runs perfectly and all sensors appear to be fine otherwise. I'll remove and reset relays. It could be a prolbem to fix next year now.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:06 AM

This is very close to the problem I am having though mine starts while cold it runs very poorly it misses really bad until it warms up after about 5 minutes it clears up. Any idea what could be the problem? I started a post trying to get some answers and have got some great information but still have not found the problem. Any help would be great as I am running out of hair to pull out. It is killing me not being able to find the problem so help me please. Thanks all

Old 11-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what kind of block heater?

Hi! I'm asking the similar folks who lives in the similar climate as I'm: (winter temperature -20C to -42C, lol I'm not kidding).
I have a 2002 Jaguar X type standard. No block heater, needless to say I need to have on installed asap.
What kind of block heater do I need? I heard around here (Winnipeg, Canada) I need a Volkswagen type. If anyone know I would really appreciate an answer as winter is coming very soon!!!
thank you!

Last edited by mboda; 11-01-2010 at 12:26 PM. Reason: in the wrong section
Old 11-01-2010, 01:09 PM

at -20 dgs C or -2 Degs F your car really shouldn't have any issues with cranking over. In Illinois by Chicago in the winter. We see week spans of -10 to -20 Degrees F. (-20 to -30 C). At around -20 Degs. F I start experiencing problems like a mutilate warning lights, limp mode and rough idling (this car seems to hate extreme cold and extreme warm weather). However, It always starts so I can't complain. Let it idle for 10 mins and off I go.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Could it be the intake air temp sensor? at cold temps the fuel injection system pays some tricks to make starting the engine easier. If the sensor isn't telling hte computer exactly how cold it is outside it could make for the hard starting.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Mboda - looks like your car is starting just fine, you are just wanting info on the block heater right? I don't know if I would deem it necessary but it's your call. You might want to check to see if you don't already have it installed, many Canadian X types were fitted with the heaters when new.

In any event, here's a link to purchase one below. You may also want to call the dealer, the heaters were around $80 US from the dealer when the X was in production.

http://jagparts.dealerfit.com/store/...1941_20706.php