X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak on 2.5 X~Type, Confused, Help?

Old 01-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Coolant leak on 2.5 X~Type, Confused, Help?

Hi Good Jag enthusiasts,
I noticed coolant leak not long after topping up. Strange, I thought when I had good fluid levels a few days before. I held a tissue under front of bonnet and yes! It was pink. Car was running fine, before, but on further inspection the fluid was draining very fast.
I am short of a few quid just now as I am not working and am rather scared of firing my car straight into the garage when I may be faced with a huge bill! I am reliant on the advice you good people may give here and I hope to straighten out the main issue before I do DIY and my "baby blue" ends up in Jag Casualty Ward with not a prayer/chequebook to answer! I will post the pics I have taken, to you avidly watching the pink stained bolt is where the coolant was running at pace, it looked as though the thick black rubber looking gasket/band is where it was coming from. I believe this is item no: W584A from other web searches and it may be an 'O' ring to blame. I have noted another part no as 105958 and can safely rule out PA66-GF30 as I am now led to believe this is the material used to make the said item. My Bruv in law says this is the thermostat housing. I am really not sure and was originally tempted to take it apart and replace the said 'O' ring as I am sure it is. There are no white marks in my oil (Thanks to Queens Newbie and his post, but I lost track of the ecu numbers!) and the vehicle is running very well! I am in fear of the damage being worse than suspected as I am in financial hardship and that would be tragic as I lost my previous X Type due to an over zealous patrolman and I cherish my Jag! Any help would be appreciated, I plan to book the car in when I am sure of the cost/damage. Although I was tempted to repair it, I honestly think I can get the bits out, alas, I think I will struggle to get the repair/new parts fitted so I will use the garage.
As I said any ideas, remedies, I will gladly be grateful for!!
Thank you! Regards, Stu

Attached Thumbnails Coolant leak on 2.5 X~Type, Confused, Help?-pa66-gf30-3-.jpg   Coolant leak on 2.5 X~Type, Confused, Help?-pa66-gf30-2-.jpg  

Last edited by Stuart Beattie; 01-22-2013 at 06:08 AM. Reason: I have another pic
Old 01-25-2013, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member
Cool Question please see pics? Regards....

Hi again, I have no replies so I obviously say too much!
Can someone please suggest what part I need to replace, I reckon the O ring is faulty above the bolt which is quite prominent.
If I am to attempt the repair myself, which part do I replace and should I replace the thermostat housing too.
The heavy leak looked as if it was pouring and eminating through the bolt. My Bruv also says the refitting/tightening to the aluminium part above which I believe is the water pump should be done to a certain torque as well, so I am almost certain it's the garage for my Baby blue!!
I see that Thermo is most popular on these subjects so maybe you or someone like~minded can help?
Any help much appreciated as it's Lovely snow here in Perth, Scotland and I prefer my X to my Girlfriends Nissan Note if I wanna go anywhere, hmm, please don't tell hr I said that ! OOPS! X
Regards, Stu

Old 01-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Stu, the bolt in questions mounts the thermostat housing to the block. However, the coolant looks like it comes from somewhere a little further up. Maybe the water pump has failed and it is coming out of the weep hole?

Pull the battery box / cover off as this will give you more room to visually see an issue. Take a look around the water pump. On the bottom there should be a small hole. If the leak is there, the pump is shot.

We'll get back on the road.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up Thank you, I respect your help!!!!

Hi to Jeeves12,
I can't thank you enough, but as soon as I have checked that out and had a good look on top, I'll get back to you!
I have researched this and along with the usual daily setbacks, I have been perennialy going round in circles! Not being mechanically minded re auto stuff, I was at a loss. Jeeves12, I will have a look shortly and make note of what I find! I think any good mechanic would have said to check the issue from above and below when I think straight!
The info you have supplied will aid me greatly, and actually WILL find the exact problem I am sure!
Cheers, Stu

Old 02-05-2013, 02:40 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up Thank you, My Baby is back!

Well, I resorted to the local garage and they did a good job. They replaced my water coolant cap as well. I now have one that screws on and off!! The thermostat housing and seals and gaskets were the main issue and it wasn't too expensive, over £200 though. The car is ace and ticking over nicely now, roll on Summer, some green stuff and my car will be A1 and on the road too, where a very capable car should be!
I Love the X Type and like my watch, I feel naked without it!
All the Best, Stu