X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant question

Old 11-16-2014, 04:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant question

Just bought my wife a 04 X-Type and was looking around the engine compartment and noticed the coolant is kind of clear, not like the usual green Prestone that I'm used to. Is this a special coolant the dealer uses for Jaguar? thanks-Russ

Old 11-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,820 Likes on 3,141 Posts

footbrake, yes and no. Confused yet?

This has been discussed and yes, Jaguar does have their coolant that they recommend (they have a standard for it) and it is something that you can only get from the dealership. It will run you like $10 a quart or something like that. So, using this can be pretty expensive since you would need 8 quarts. That is an orange color as I recall.

Then there is the no part of your answer. All the brand names meet the Jaguar requirements. So, you can use anything like Prestone, Peak, or other big name coolant. The big thing will be getting the same color coolant as each color is based on the type of coolant that it is. Mixing different kinds can potentially lead to issues. With that being said, there is some that is compatible with all types of coolant. So, read the bottle and make sure that you get something that will work for you.

Based on what you are describing, it sounds like you have a coolant leak and someone has been living with it and has only been adding water to keep things topped up. Since you live up in the colder part of the US, I would recommend doing a complete coolant flush if you think that the coolant is not at the proper concentrations. It is much cheaper to spend $30 on new coolant and take an hour or so to swap out the coolant than to have the coolant freeze in the block and destroy it (been there, not a fun thing).

I mentioned the leak that you may have. Our cars normally develop a leak in 1 of 3 spots. The obvious one is the water pump. If you look behind the battery, you will see the top of the tranny and some pockets where stuff will collect. Is there coolant there? If yes, then this is the water pump. If no, then you are pretty much down to a cracked coolant bottle as the bottles are known to either have a crack in the nozzle along the fire wall or lately there has been a rash of bottles cracking on the bottom. But, a good look under the car to see if you can spot where the coolant is coming from is recommended before just tossing parts at the car.

If you have more questions, let me know.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:27 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

The sure fire way is to get the spec number from your owners manual and make sure the coolant in the store meets that spec. Going by colour or brand name can get you in trouble.

Jag does not make it's own coolant or have a unique spec, they just have one of the main manufacturers re-label stuff for them. All OEMs do this.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:43 AM
GGG
Received 16,746 Likes on 12,140 Posts

Originally Posted by footbrake
Just bought my wife a 04 X-Type and was looking around the engine compartment and noticed the coolant is kind of clear, not like the usual green Prestone that I'm used to. Is this a special coolant the dealer uses for Jaguar? thanks-Russ
The only kind of clear coolant I've come across is ..... water!

There's three things to consider with coolant:

1. specification - WSS M97B44 Extended Life (usually coloured orange)
2. concentration - 50% Coolant : 50% Water
3. change interval - 5 years OR 150K miles

Coolant question-x-type-coolant.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

There's nothing magical about coolant in a Jaguar bottle - it's the specification that's important and not the brand. Plenty of aftermarket sources for coolant to the right specification.

I'd be concerned if there's no discernible colour to the coolant in your vehicle that the PO has been topping up with plain water. Time for a drain, flush and refill so you know exactly what's in there.

Graham

Old 11-16-2014, 02:12 PM

After further ispection and drawing a little out of the reservoir, it is colored and using one of those antifreeze checkers that you can check it either hot or cold it's showing good to -45.
While in there checking all the fluids, I can't seem to find the Trans dipstick to check the trans fluid. Where would it be located on the 3.0 motor? Thanks for the help all. Russ

Old 11-17-2014, 07:23 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,820 Likes on 3,141 Posts

footbrake, there is no tranny dipstick on this car. If you look on the tranny, there is a fill plug that you are to remove and make sure that the fluid level is there at the base of the threads.

The following users liked this post:
santer (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 01:37 PM

Wow , I never would have expected no dipstick. Guess I have a lot to learn about this vehicle. thanks everyone.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:00 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
If you look on the tranny, there is a fill plug that you are to remove and make sure that the fluid level is there at the base of the threads.
Never knew that but glad I do now

Old 08-28-2016, 11:49 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Footbrake!
Check the small hose on top of coolant reservoir close to the fire wall, it often cracked at the nipple, That have happen to two of my X-Type; Cheap solution is to cut the nipple, take it to the Home Depot buy a brass nipple of same size with tread on one end, put some silicon on the tread and screw it in the hole on the reservoir that you cut the nipple out, I did this with my two X-Type, work like a champ,